Thought about getting Tacoma, then a Wrangler, now not so sure..

Didn't read through all of the replies.

I just went from a 2010 Tacoma DC to a 2012 four door JKRU. I honestly have pro's and con's with both that equal out. I miss the bed space to haul rocks, lumber, equipment, etc. in the Tacoma. But, I love the fact that I can do a simple google search to find a simple, inexpensive mod for the Jeep. Modding the Tacoma was literally going to the hardware store, building the actual mod, the applying that mod to the truck (i.e. Black HeadLight Mod, repainting dash from silver to black, different color LEDs for the dash lights). I never used the back seat in the Taco and saw it as wasted space (hated vacuuming after traveling with the dogs, so they moved to the bed of the truck).

I love the fact that in the winter I can take my JK, put the hardtop and OEM metal doors on, then spring comes around and I can comfortably drive around with the soft top and no doors. The way I have my Jeep set up, it's a traveling recovery vehicle/home away from home. I can comfortably sleep in the back with overhead protection from the elements.

...not to mention the Straight Axles...Can't go wrong there.

I loved pre-runners and before I received orders overseas, I planned to put long travel on the Tacoma. Instead, due to a bet with the wife, I sold my truck. It was a painful day, but I've fallen in love with the JK and will most likely not go back to the Taco.

But, to each his own. I say if you want to jump dunes and spend a ton of money modding out your vehicle, get a Taco. If you're happy with doing simple offroading, maybe some light rock crawling, with a comfortable place to sleep at night, go for the Jeep.

D

Deleted member 48574

This may not be an issue if the OP is going for a used vehicle, but another major thing to consider is the initial outlay for a decent truck.

In Canada, the Taco properly equipped is 35k for the Sport package -- The TRD Off Road isn't even available in the 4 door, so there are some differences there -- and to make it comparable to the Rubicon you'd need to add another few dollars in mods. By the time freight, taxes, etc. are in you are looking at a $40,000 -$45k + truck, and a truck that for the most part is limited in terms of what you can carry in the bed or tow. In other words, if you are going to spend 40k for a truck, why not go full size Chevy or Ford and have full truck capability. For what I'd use a truck for, the Taco is overpriced in terms of it's capability (towing, bed size, weight in bed, etc.). But then it seems to me that most 'small' trucks are overpriced for what they can do; especially with modern day fuel economies.

On the other hand, a 4 door Rubi can be driven off the lot for around 35k, and everything you'll need is included stock (and, thus, warrantied). That peace of mind alone may be worth a lot to you.

I've had a few issues with my 2 door but nothing major - a recall on the transmission thrust bearing which was just noisy, but not fatal, as well as an electrical issue (that one was my fault -- didn't tighten the battery back up properly after installing a HAM radio). So overall I'm super thrilled with it. The dealership on the other hand has left something to be desired but there are plenty of those out there.

Nothing that was a deal breaker. If someone were to offer me a Taco at the right price, I'd jump at it and be thrilled. But, for me, my next purchase will be another Jeep. (crosses fingers for diesel in 2014)

Regards
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles