This would make someone a great "Expedition" - exploration vehicle

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Why transfer the whole thing over to another vehicle if the '08 is low mileage?

For someone who already has a 2012 or newer Rubicon with 4.10 gears and auto, they get the advantage of updated engine & transmission, and perfect gearing. Selling the low mileage '08 could be a good return on investment, rather than spend the money for the conversion on their Jeep from Earth Roamer.

Why create a goofy web site that takes forever to load?

Check your browser, this link is Expedition Portal. If it doesn't load quickly, you may have an issue. Always loads quick and complete for me.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For someone who already has a 2012 or newer Rubicon with 4.10 gears and auto, they get the advantage of updated engine & transmission, and perfect gearing. Selling the low mileage '08 could be a good return on investment, rather than spend the money for the conversion on their Jeep from Earth Roamer.

The Earth Roamer makes extensive changes to the factory roll bar, which has to be certified.

This isn't something you can just take off the '08 and drop onto a '12+, like you could with the Ursa Minor.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The Earth Roamer makes extensive changes to the factory roll bar, which has to be certified.

This isn't something you can just take off the '08 and drop onto a '12+, like you could with the Ursa Minor.

-Dan

OK, still doable. It's a lot more money to buy new...
More importantly, it's a pretty cool setup. :)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
OK, still doable. It's a lot more money to buy new...
More importantly, it's a pretty cool setup. :)

It sure is, and it's one of the inspirations for how I built mine - I really wanted the interior living space.
Given that I did almost all the work myself, mine cost a fraction of that.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Who did the re-certification on your sport bar, and what did it cost?
I've only dealt with racing entities when it comes to roll cage, and chassis building. Those certifications are fairly easy, as long as it's built correctly.
Any reason the modified Sport Bar bolted into the Earthroamer couldn't just be swapped between the two vehicles?

Comparing the J30 and the Earthroamer, is like comparing a Wrangler Sport with an AEV JK350. Both are excellent choices, one just has a lot more amenities, and capabilities. In the case of this specific vehicle, there is no waiting time. :)

I'm all about no top as much as possible, neither the J30 or the Earthroamer top pushes my buttons. The J30 would probably be a better choice in my particular case, because it can be modified with removable camper jacks, and lifted off the vehicle fairly easily.
But, for someone in the market for an Earthroamer, this one may be a pretty good deal, whether or not the person had a Wrangler already.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Who did the re-certification on your sport bar, and what did it cost?
I didn't get it re-certified.

Any reason the modified Sport Bar bolted into the Earthroamer couldn't just be swapped between the two vehicles?
I have no idea what's involved.

Comparing the J30 and the Earthroamer, is like comparing a Wrangler Sport with an AEV JK350. Both are excellent choices, one just has a lot more amenities, and capabilities.

Keep in mind mine is a lot more than just a J30. I have a factory Rubicon 6 speed, 13 gallon drinking water / 0.5 micron / UV treatment system with running water, cooking facilities, internal storage, sleeping for two adults, rear awning, 200W of solar panels, dual batteries, fridge, 10,000lbs winch, air compressor, 15 gallons of additional fuel, hi-lift, max trax, Steel bumpers and AEV 2.5 suspension. I can stand up and walk around inside mine no problem, and I have a ton of hidden locking steel storage boxes to keep my paperwork and stuff safe here in Africa.
I'd say the only amenities the Earth Roamer has on my JK is the shower (for which I have an outdoor solar shower) and the toilet, and I don't want one of those.
As for capabilities, they're virtually identical. I would just have to slap a bigger lift and 35s on mine, but that's absurd for Africa.

Of course, as I said, mine is the "home made" version of the same thing, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's lacking :)

I would also be fascinated to see how the tent of the Earth Roamer would hold up to the rain I'm getting here - think 8-10 hours of the heaviest rain you have ever seen in your life, every single day. (More rain in 1 month than the PNW sees in a whole year. )

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
So then with the Earthroamer it may be as simple as swapping the Sport Bars, and re-certification isn't really necessary. That makes things easier.
But that would only be for someone who already has a '12+ Jeep they've invested in. Someone with a built Rubi, or a Hard Rock may be a good candidate. Otherwise, this specific Jeep is already built pretty well. :)

So you are more thinking in lines of your personal interest, and supporting your decision. OK that makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of someone looking to buy a nicely built & capable rig.
Yeah I agree, for your use and investment you made a great choice. :beer:

If I had bought an Earthroamer, and found the tent leaked, it would have been addressed by Earthroamer. Based on the quality of equipment they build, I would be very surprised if this kind of issue couldn't be addressed.
That said, we had a '97 Eurovan Camper. The tent material on that vehicle is excellent, but it still gets wet on the outside. Your J30 is no different. Storing wet material in the dark is how mildew forms. There is no better choice than a complete hard sided camper for rainy conditions. Short of that, a removable rain fly, that can be dried in a small area would get my vote. That would probably be easier to do on the J30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior