This truck is unbelievable good

OllieChristopher

Many who buy a new vehicle 'settle'

I stand by my previous statement. Your long winded manifesto of a post makes no sense at all. Every single thing you are claiming cannot be had is only because buyers don't want it anyway. There is no reason to settle for something you are not going to enjoy.

Wrathchild

This are wild California Bighorn Sheep, not goats. A couple young rams with ewes to be specific. They’re a truly amazing and resilient critter in the sierras. Also delicious if one ever has the opportunity to hunt them.

Last edited:

HUMMER/Expeditions

Tacoma no way is better than the discovery, and yes I own a Tacoma.
Terrible fuel mileage, 14 mpg on a good day.
Gutless engine
terrible front view visibility
sucks at towing
Way to long

maybe it’s more utilitarian but besides that, discovery is better vehicle for me.

Diesel discovery 5 is amazing machine. 26 mpg, tons of torque,
Rear locker, center locker, beautiful seating position, it’s so good. Not even fair to compare to Tacoma.

look at this picture , see the water level on the hood of my hummer 4ft plus,
and look way ahead, what do you see ?
Yes discovery 5 that crossed the river before me.

I wanna see stock Tacoma do that
EBFD5AB4-C953-4BFE-A00E-DE23C757B2E5.jpeg

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

I am still very interested in these. I'm just waiting out the used car bubble (like everyone else) as I imagine that they'll take a larger than average depreciation hit afterwards and so I could grab one affordably. I'm still keeping my eyes open, but the perfect truck hasn't popped up near me yet.

HUMMER/Expeditions

If I was you, I would spend a little more and get the diesel version.
it will hold it value much better and fuel economy alone will pay for itself.

My friend had to go from California to Oregon to buy this diesel discovery.

He asked me if diesel is the right choice, I told him he won’t regret it.
He couldn’t be happier.

MarcusBrody

If I was you, I would spend a little more and get the diesel version.
it will hold it value much better and fuel economy alone will pay for itself.

My friend had to go from California to Oregon to buy this diesel discovery.

He asked me if diesel is the right choice, I told him he won’t regret it.
He couldn’t be happier.
The diesel is what I have been looking for for the reasons you mention (though my wife is somewhat opposed to diesel in general). I'm a tiny bit afraid of the diesel particulate issue that a couple of people have reported on a different forum, but not so much as to be put off. Diesel is cheaper than premium gasoline here and distances are large, so it makes a lot of sense.

HUMMER/Expeditions

Diesel benefits are 10 to 1 compared to gasoline.

fuel Economy
Reliability
value keeping
longevity
towing
finding fuel everywhere
Running with many different fuels without any damage to the engine
water crossing

I am sure there is a lot more

by the way, it’s a super quiet Diesel engine, you can’t even tell standing next to it.

DieselRanger

I understand what it takes to build and certify.

Thousands of rules and regs to abide by.

However, those rules and regs don't necessitate ugliness and over complicating systems just to do it.

This is my point. LR is not the only brand to forget its roots. Just one of the latest.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love my 2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Td6 in every way - the capability, the comfort, the looks, the range, the torque, and the reliability it has exhibited.

It goes everywhere I want to go with it and does it effortlessly, including places 99% of vehicle models on sale today can't go.

The 0.01% of trails it *can't* go on aren't interesting to me.

You do you.

DieselRanger

Many who buy a new vehicle 'settle'

I want ... [redacted for brevity]

And on and on

They make what is cheap, make what the idiots in DC seem to think is needed now, advertise it to the sheep who barely know what day it is, and yes, unfortunately it sells. Just because 'they' don't make it doens't mean we don't want it or it wouldn't sell TOO.
You can get all of this. You just have to buy used.

DieselRanger

I am still very interested in these. I'm just waiting out the used car bubble (like everyone else) as I imagine that they'll take a larger than average depreciation hit afterwards and so I could grab one affordably. I'm still keeping my eyes open, but the perfect truck hasn't popped up near me yet.
Look in places where diesel isn't very popular for this type of vehicle - FL, Northeast, Great Plains. Prices on the West Coast are stupid no matter what you're buying, and the Mountain West diesel is too popular, so they're rare.

Just had a colleague fly to the FL Panhandle to pick up a used 2020 diesel Rubi - $15,000 less than the same truck in Colorado, with less miles on it. *Used* these were going for over $65K in Colorado with the mods she wanted.

onemanarmy

Explorer
You can get all of this. You just have to buy used.

Not really trying to continue making my point, but I was responding to a post about settling when buying new. So, you taking the time to tell me to buy used is irrelevant.

A tacoma is a truck, and is designed for that purpose at a certain price point. It might not have air suspension and certain gadgets and a complicated (but good MPG now) engine, but its not built to compete with any LR product.

JackW

Explorer
My D5 diesel was an excellent tow vehicle - I had a 17' Escape travel trailer that weighed around 3200 lbs loaded to travel. The Discovery 5 towed it like it wasn't even back there (at 70 mph in some instances).
And it would get over 20 mpg while doing it. It was also a lot of fun to drive on the Tail of the Dragon - all that torque was fun coming out of a tight corner.

D5 & Escape 17.jpg

2586006-s.jpg

MarcusBrody

Diesel benefits are 10 to 1 compared to gasoline.

fuel Economy
Reliability
value keeping
longevity
towing
finding fuel everywhere
Running with many different fuels without any damage to the engine
water crossing

I am sure there is a lot more

by the way, it’s a super quiet Diesel engine, you can’t even tell standing next to it.
Fuel was actually one of my worries, but I don't imagine I'll spend that much time in Mexico where I would worry.

But yes, I'm pretty convinced (partially from having read this thread) that diesel is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles