This truck is unbelievable good

JackW

Explorer
I don't think the batwing awning will work. The rear hatch sticks up 12-14 inches above roofline when open
The rear hatch and the rotary shift knob were the only two things I didn't like about my D5. The TDV6 was outstanding and it was a great road car. I easily drove up a steep rutted hill that defeated an old Series II 109. My thinking is hatches belong on minivans not SUVs. If they had fitted a split tailgate to the D5 I think it would have been a lot more popular.

Ke2427

Thanks for the replies. New (to me) D5 arrives this weekend. I'll be out of state but once back I'll swap over the FR rack and do a trial fit with the batwing.

Fully anticipate a square or 180 awning on the horizon

DieselRanger

The rear hatch and the rotary shift knob were the only two things I didn't like about my D5. The TDV6 was outstanding and it was a great road car. I easily drove up a steep rutted hill that defeated an old Series II 109. My thinking is hatches belong on minivans not SUVs. If they had fitted a split tailgate to the D5 I think it would have been a lot more popular.
Looks like that could be coming on the next generation Discovery - rear hatch similar to the RR / RRS. I think the rear end in general is an acquired taste - on first look in photographs, I thought it looked like a dung beetle ready to roll a turd, but it grew on me very quickly. The hatch is quite tall, and if your garage isn't a tall one, you find yourself having to duck around two very sharp corners to get into it.

American tastes also equate soft edges with fragility, rather than refinement in design, regardless of what's underneath.

MarcusBrody

Looks like that could be coming on the next generation Discovery - rear hatch similar to the RR / RRS. I think the rear end in general is an acquired taste - on first look in photographs, I thought it looked like a dung beetle ready to roll a turd, but it grew on me very quickly. The hatch is quite tall, and if your garage isn't a tall one, you find yourself having to duck around two very sharp corners to get into it.

American tastes also equate soft edges with fragility, rather than refinement in design, regardless of what's underneath.
Honestly I like hatches. They make it easy to get deeply packed cargo and provide a nice little sun/rain shelter.

To be fair, I also think a minivan body with the Discovery's drivetrain/suspension would be the ultimate adventure vehicle.

DieselRanger

Honestly I like hatches. They make it easy to get deeply packed cargo and provide a nice little sun/rain shelter.

To be fair, I also think a minivan body with the Discovery's drivetrain/suspension would be the ultimate adventure vehicle.
I actually wish the D5 had hatch glass that opens. Super convenient when you just need to grab something, without having to open the whole rear hatch/door, like when you have a bike rack on it.

Ke2427

The D5 arrived while I was out of State. Rack swapped over but not had a chamce to offer up the Batwing yet.

Ke2427

So Rhinorack fitted - mostly. Short version with the FR rack sitting higher I still had to make some extensions. Its close amd needs a little fine tuning but it should work out.

Attachments

• 0808211605b_HDR.jpg
    0808211605b_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • 0808211605a_HDR.jpg
    0808211605a_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 0810211529a_HDR.jpg
    0810211529a_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • 0810211529_HDR.jpg
    0810211529_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • 0810211528b_HDR.jpg
    0810211528b_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51

onemanarmy

Explorer
Yeah, because Jeeps don't have any ECUs or fancy E-lectronic giz-whangs. @onemanarmy just doesn't understand what it takes to build and certify vehicles today. Even the Land Cruiser is gone from US shores now, and that was basically only what you need, and nothing you don't. Recall we had a 200-page thread about this already - not going to get anywhere new if this one goes that way. @onemanarmy hates new Land Rovers, got it. Many thousands of new and prospective Land Rover Defender owners do not. Next thread, next discussion.

I understand what it takes to build and certify.

Thousands of rules and regs to abide by.

However, those rules and regs don't necessitate ugliness and over complicating systems just to do it.

This is my point. LR is not the only brand to forget its roots. Just one of the latest.

onemanarmy

Explorer
That is a very puzzling statement. Manufacturers have to care what the end user wants. If they don't then vehicles don't sell. The hot selling models move quick. No one ever has to "settle" for a new vehicle. There are so many choices it's mind boggling.

Many who buy a new vehicle 'settle'

I want power windows and locks but no remote start.....sorry
I want a manual trans with the 'big' engine.....sorry
I want nice leather seats and and a center console but don't want to pay for radar cruise and lane departure warnings becuase I have a neck and eyes......sorry
I want a naturally aspirated engine.....sorry
I want a vehicle with no glitchy screens....sorry
I want a vehicle without TPMS....sorry....most everyone lets the TPMS batteries die anyway and not change them, so how am I safer? (hint: I/we are not)
I want steel wheels AND a nice interior AND the big engine....sorry
I want a manual trans.....sorry
I want a vehicle with easy to access wear items....sorry
I want a new Defender with headlights and taillights that aren't fully integrated into the body work and and don't want acres of bumper plastic....sorry
I want a vehicle that puts dependability and reliablity (so better resale value too!) number 1....sorry
I want a low trim level full size truck WITH a nice factory center console.....sorry
I want a new base 911 without a turbo...sorry
I don't want a CV transmission.....sorry
I want a new vehicle with a fully sepeate radio and HVAC controls, as knobs and sliders....sorry (this affects MPG and safety? No? So why complicate it?)
I don't want rain sensing wipers or a powered rear gate....sorry
I want a normal looking, classy, naturaly aspirated / non-hybrid 2022 Tundra....sorry (I don't need 450 hp.....give me 325 hp with a far less complex drivetrain...win-win)
I want a Land Cruise 300 GX. Oh, make it with a split gate/tailgate like the 60, 80, 100 and 200 series. Sorry.

And on and on

They make what is cheap, make what the idiots in DC seem to think is needed now, advertise it to the sheep who barely know what day it is, and yes, unfortunately it sells. Just because 'they' don't make it doens't mean we don't want it or it wouldn't sell TOO.

onemanarmy

Explorer
I yet to find a situation where stock TRD off road Tacoma can do better than the stock discovery,
I own this truck for 4 years got it brand new, 68.000 miles now, About 80% off road miles.

Reliable? For sure,
But diesel discovery is nothing less, and I am pretty sure it will keep its value very well,

only time will tell

so far, I can confidently say, it outperforms Tacoma in every situation,

towing, ground clearance, approach and departure angles, gear ratios, fuel economy is amazing, 24 MPG vs 16MPG,
Fuel tank is 24 gallons Tacoma is 18 gallons
comfort is better, seating position is much better, Stock can take 33 inch tires, Tacoma can’t,

I can’t find a section to say Tacoma is better or even equivalent.
and this is my truck.

but you missed the main thing....the Tacoma is a TRUCK. I'd like to see a disco or new defender haul a refrigerator standing up or a cut up tree without ruining the interior.

I would hope the Disco is more comfortable....its built for a different reason and with different materials and costs more (which only matters to you....I may find it more/less comfortable due to any number of things)
I can find a sitution TODAY where a Tacoma is 'better' than ANY suv on the market today.

Any truck vs suv comparison is a waste of time and irrelevant. Different vehicles for different purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles