This truck is unbelievable good

That is a very puzzling statement. Manufacturers have to care what the end user wants. If they don't then vehicles don't sell. The hot selling models move quick. No one ever has to "settle" for a new vehicle. There are so many choices it's mind boggling.

I kinda hear what he's saying, at least in terms of how options are all "bundled" nowadays into different "trim" levels and it is pretty hard to pick and choose only what you want your vehicle to have . . . instead, if you want one thing (like a locking diff), you often have to pay for a bunch of other stuff that maybe you don't give a damn about, but that is included in the "package" with the locking diff. Been a long time since you could order just the options you wanted, a la carte.

OllieChristopher

if you want one thing (like a locking diff), you often have to pay for a bunch of other stuff that maybe you don't give a damn about

You can actually get a vehicle made to order right from the factory. It's a bit of a wait but you get exactly what you want without the stuff you don't need.

DieselRanger

You can actually get a vehicle made to order right from the factory. It's a bit of a wait but you get exactly what you want without the stuff you don't need.
Depends on the vehicle. Land Rovers, yes - sort of. Still can't order a Defender with the P400 engine with 18" steel wheels and coils from the factory. I built my D5, but there were things I couldn't get - for example, I couldn't order a rear locker without specifying the 7-seat option, which would have eliminated the full-size spare and the extra storage and cost me about $4,000 more. So I didn't get one - and I don't miss it.

The "bundling" of option packages you see on the lot is to reduce complexity on the production line for efficiency as well as to maximize margins, but some things are necessary configuration items - the P400 engine on the Defender necessitates bigger brakes, which eliminates the ability to get the 18" white steelies.

Mawgie

OP, Your D5 looks great in the wild. To me, the back of the D5 looks much better in darker colors than in lighter colors. If you don't mind sharing, why did you opt for the TD6 over the Supercharged 3.0 V6 gas engine? Torque and fuel economy (if not absolute fuel savings depending on comparative cost per gallon of fuel)? The 2018, 2019 D5s look like a good buy in the low to mid $40k range with the warranty security of one that is Certified Pre Owned from a Land Rover dealer.

DieselRanger

The 2018, 2019 D5s look like a good buy in the low to mid $40k range with the warranty security of one that is Certified Pre Owned from a Land Rover dealer.
Mawgie, if you can find a 2018/2019 CPO with a warranty in the low to mid 40's right now, that's pretty good. Mine is a 2017 HSE Td6 and it's currently appraising for ~$47K private sale (MSRP was ~$68K before dealer-side add-ons and tax), but things like Capability Package, heated seats/steering wheel, upgraded leather and the Meridian surround sound help. I think Diesels are probably appraising lower on the coasts and plains states than in the mountain states / DSW though.

HUMMER/Expeditions

for the passed 22 years, there has not been a 7 day period that I haven’t been off road,
I have owned over 11 different types of 4x4, and currently own 5,
I do have lot and lots of off road experience,

When I compared Tacoma to discovery 5,
I have 2 stock vehicles in front of me, and we are doing the same trail, and even taking the same line of approach because in some cases there is no other way,

Tacoma underperformed, and I am not bashing Tacoma that it’s a bad vehicle, it’s my own vehicle,
But stock to stock, discovery is without a doubt more capable,

As far as TRD off road vs TRD PRO
Those Are identical vehicles,
Only 3 major difference is, TRD pro has fox shocks, vs ( bilstain shocks) one inch taller and skid plates.
They both come with rear locker, and the same drive train.

one major advantage discovery has over Tacoma is the short departure angle, And short approach angle,

I don’t want you to think I am trying to put Tacoma Down as a bad vehicle or not capable, it’s an excellent truck and capable for its intended use.
They are Made for totally different purposes

My original post was to say WOW to the Discovery 5 and its capabilities, and what I had to compare was my Tacoma trd off road.

SkiWill

Yeah, if you can find a CPO for low to mid 40s, you're doing great. Everything in Utah is listing for mid 50s and up unless it's a bare bones model which may not even have low range.

Depends on the vehicle. Land Rovers, yes - sort of. Still can't order a Defender with the P400 engine with 18" steel wheels and coils from the factory. I built my D5, but there were things I couldn't get - for example, I couldn't order a rear locker without specifying the 7-seat option, which would have eliminated the full-size spare and the extra storage and cost me about $4,000 more. So I didn't get one - and I don't miss it.

The "bundling" of option packages you see on the lot is to reduce complexity on the production line for efficiency as well as to maximize margins, but some things are necessary configuration items - the P400 engine on the Defender necessitates bigger brakes, which eliminates the ability to get the 18" white steelies.

That's because the rear brakes on the P400 are too big to fit 18" (also why the P400 has almost a 1000lb higher tow capacity than the P300) wheels. I was able to spec my Defender exactly how I wanted it without having to add any unnecessary stuff which was pleasantly surprising to be honest.

Ke2427

Does anyone have insight into the compatibility of a Rhino Rack Batwing and the Discovery 5 ?? Im about to retire my long serving LR3, and considering a 2017 D5 as a replacement, I have the 270 degree batwing and looking at the tailgate height and angle Im uncertain as to its compatibility. I'll also be swapping over my Frontrunner rack etc. so hoping for minimal new purchases on accessories

gabrielef

Does anyone have insight into the compatibility of a Rhino Rack Batwing and the Discovery 5 ?? Im about to retire my long serving LR3, and considering a 2017 D5 as a replacement, I have the 270 degree batwing and looking at the tailgate height and angle Im uncertain as to its compatibility. I'll also be swapping over my Frontrunner rack etc. so hoping for minimal new purchases on accessories

I’m confident you’ll be fine especially since you’re swapping the FR rack over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the batwing awning will work. The rear hatch sticks up 12-14 inches above roofline when open

Attachments

• 20210715_112127.jpg
    20210715_112127.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45

DieselRanger

That's because the rear brakes on the P400 are too big to fit 18" (also why the P400 has almost a 1000lb higher tow capacity than the P300) wheels. I was able to spec my Defender exactly how I wanted it without having to add any unnecessary stuff which was pleasantly surprising to be honest.
It's also because there's brake-based regeneration for the MHEV system. Tow rating on these D7 platform Land Rovers are limited more by emissions than they are by strength or stability.

gabrielef

Looks like a 180 awning would do anyway with that rear hatch coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles