This truck is unbelievable good

billiebob

My first overland experience was in a Pontiac 2WD wagon...... 40 years ago we went where modified 4WDs fear to tread. Signage is about 2 things, as a pessimist it is about liability.... as an optimist it is about preventing tragedy and eliminating the need for rescue.

The fact you did it in a stock Discovery is irrelevant. Guys in the past likely did it in a stock Pinto.

Beautiful country regardless.

DieselRanger

My first overland experience was in a Pontiac 2WD wagon...... 40 years ago we went where modified 4WDs fear to tread. Signage is about 2 things, as a pessimist it is about liability.... as an optimist it is about preventing tragedy and eliminating the need for rescue.

The fact you did it in a stock Discovery is irrelevant. Guys in the past likely did it in a stock Pinto.

What a stock pinto looks like:

1622577091419.png

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

I do love those old Pontiac Wagons....

16f2bdfcdd015f3f3a98d8d4b07e7438.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thats a '62.
We had a '63 Safari Wagon.
It went places overlanders with 4WD and 33s fear.
10 speed automatic, no, 2 speed automatic. 283 V8.

View attachment 663961

Someone on here knows where this photo taken. The young guy was me. The 2 witches were my older sisters.
I had a buddy in my teens who had a factory 409......4 speed '63 Safari. I believe it was the single 4bbl 340 horse 409... That was a nice car!

The photo looks like it's on Okanagan lake?

052201-1.jpg
my63safarijune262006engine409rside640big.jpg
my63safari1995interiorfrt.jpg

Edit - found some pics of my friends car.

Last edited:

gabrielef

It's all relative.

Tires, wheelbase, width, driver experience, and other non vehicle related variables can make one Make/Model seem 'better' than the other in certain conditions.

We could all find a situation where a TRD Offroad Tacoma would do better than a Discovery....for sure in the reliability and resale market for starters.

Stock Disco vs stock Tacoma, Tacoma has no chance. Even with a tire change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onemanarmy

Explorer
Stock Disco vs stock Tacoma, Tacoma has no chance. Even with a tire change.

stock TRD off road or Pro?

in what conditions?

and I'll take not losing half my value in 3 years over going 'everywhere'....that plays into MANY people's decisions.

I want JLR to make a proper Disco and Defender, but they insist on focusing on other things besides reliability and dependability. I just don't get it.

Why do I need 'auto' anything on a Defender or Disco? Or air suspension? Or 278 way power seats with heated and cooled? Or 25 ECUs controlling untold amount of sensors? Or a screen?! (save your backup cam.....make it a secondary thing that can be removed)

If it won't make it more dependable, reliable, or capable (for the long/remote haul). then why include it in those models? (save for power windows and proper HVAC.....with proper buttons)

OllieChristopher

It's all relative.

driver experience

It's all about the driver. While the Land Rover is an outstanding machine it is no more capable than a bone stock Toyota Tacoma TRD. Not meaning to offend the OP, but the Land Rover is only better because it makes up for your skill level in terrain that you struggled with in the Toyota.

Thank you for sharing the stunning pictures.

I'll play. I've had a 2014 trd offroad since new and now also have a 2017 td6 disco no rear locker. The taco has 140k, never had any problems but have replaced all suspension, tough dog sdjustable front coils, uca, iron man leaf springs and fox adjustable remote res rears. Also bigger duratracs, skid plates, winch and more. The disco on Michelin defenders goes over terrain stock that the taco works for plus way faster on wash board and carries a bigger load. 24 mpg mixed driving. Time will tell how the reliability is but judging from past work done it hasn't had any real problems.

gabrielef

stock TRD off road or Pro?

- Either , they are barely different except a few bolt on suspension components. Same weak V6. The Pro gets better departure/approach/break-over angles. Towing is 6800 vs 6400 in an Offroad vs Pro. Defender is nearly 8000.

in what conditions?

- Any

and I'll take not losing half my value in 3 years over going 'everywhere'....that plays into MANY people's decisions.

- Then this is now a conversation about value, not capability

I want JLR to make a proper Disco and Defender, but they insist on focusing on other things besides reliability and dependability. I just don't get it.

- Your definition of proper doesn’t count, you aren’t JLR, and they don’t owe you the car you think you want. You haven’t been following JLR on their latest models if you think they haven’t been focusing on reliability and dependability. The Defender has hardly been out a year lol.

Why do I need 'auto' anything on a Defender or Disco? Or air suspension? Or 278 way power seats with heated and cooled? Or 25 ECUs controlling untold amount of sensors? Or a screen?! (save your backup cam.....make it a secondary thing that can be removed)

- This is all preferential and has nothing to do with capability vs a Tacoma. Had LR had the available technology 50 years ago, they would have out it in the Defender then.

If it won't make it more dependable, reliable, or capable (for the long/remote haul). then why include it in those models? (save for power windows and proper HVAC.....with proper buttons)

- Your definition of “proper” is super subjective and can’t be used as a basis for an argument. What proper for one person is not proper for everyone else. There’s a reason the Defender has won several awards this past year. There’s a reason that had it only been a year or so since it’s release, it would have won first choice by Expedition Portal. An LC200 took the top spot because it has a long history of dependability.

Finally, you go configure a base Defender P300 with cloth seats, no heated seats, no sunroof, steel wheels, with the offroad and capability package for $55K out the door. And it carries 2K lbs of cargo, passengers, gear, etc. A Taco with its V6 just can’t keep up. That’s why you see Tacoma owners flashing their ECU’s with a better tune or installing Pedal Commander. Because the truck is lethargic otherwise.

I’d take capability over value any day because the rig I buy I keep for a long time and don’t plan on selling. Value isn’t important to me in that respect.

My fancy, geewhiz, 2006 offroad technology (which they used in the L319 until 2016) in my LR3 has me at 285K miles, I bought it at 74K miles. It’s turning out to be one of the best platforms LR ever released.

All this to say a Tacoma is what it is and fits some people’s mission profile for fun. Great. But if they want to do more, with better performance, better traction control, better comfort, then they need to find another platform in like an LC or Defender.

gabrielef

It's all about the driver. While the Land Rover is an outstanding machine it is no more capable than a bone stock Toyota Tacoma TRD. Not meaning to offend the OP, but the Land Rover is only better because it makes up for your skill level in terrain that you struggled with in the Toyota.

Thank you for sharing the stunning pictures.

Driver experience really is a huge differentiator and 90% of the new “overlander” think having all three lockers on will get them through anything.

Including myself in this, the vehicle is more capable than the driver, in this modern era of off-roading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles