This might not count. Turkey in the Northwest Territories

• Thread starter Deleted member 48574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48574

MODS: I think I needed to put this in the "Completed Adventures and Events" section! My bad, please move as you see fit!

Hi folks,

A few caveats on this.

1) I'm not a vidoegrapher. I've never recorded properly or edited a video before. So watch this with those expectations.
2) My wife and I decided to depart for Hay River, NWT, with the goal of doing something very few Canadians will ever do: Have (Canadian) Thanksgiving in the Northwest Territories.
3) So we did that. 2200 kms in 3 days.
4) Here's the video. Our hope is to inspire others to just go.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 48574

Dozilla and Meafordmike,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it.

Mike -- Don't feel guilty. My family was in that Jeep with me, and no trip can replace the joy that comes from sharing time with those you love. In fact, for me, that's what this trip was really about -- spending time with those who matter. Home is where the heart is after all -- no rule that says it can't be on 4 (or 6 for you Unimogers) wheels!

Regards
Craig

vicali

Adventurer
Cool vid, thanks for sharing it!
Reminds me of our trips up to Fairview AB visiting family. We got snow camping up there on September long once!

What's next; VanIsland for Halloween? :)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That was very well done. I don't think many understand how much more "work" it is to do video of your travels. But the results you got were awesome! Did you get to see any Aurora?

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Great video, great inspiration!

You got to love those backroad mapbooks. My wife calls me "addicted" to them lol.

I feel like a bit of a slouch having only put on 1200 km over the thanksgiving weekend, sleeping in a warm bed, having warm showers. :)

takesiteasy

Adventurer
More kudos to you- the video was very well done. I would quibble with your statement that you are not a videographer- this proves quite the opposite is true. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for posting it. My wife and I hope to have some adventures in Canada in the coming years- thanks for the inspiration.

D

Deleted member 48574

vicali said:
Cool vid, thanks for sharing it!
Reminds me of our trips up to Fairview AB visiting family. We got snow camping up there on September long once!

What's next; VanIsland for Halloween?

Worst I've seen is Snow in July in my home town of Red Lake, that was a rough one. Thanks for the kind words! We actually did a VanCity trip last year to pick up the RTT, it was one of our first whirlwind long roadtrips (but done before we discovered the filming part of it). I just realized I don't have them written up but here's a link to a couple more we've done (Anaheim and Ashland, OR) http://impalaproject.blogspot.ca/p/adventures.html

carrelc said:
Well done and inspiring. Was fuel readily available all the way up or did you bring it with you?

Thanks carrelc. Fuel was very much available but if I were to do it again, I'd bring 5 gallons. The reason being while the fuel was there, it was often 450 + kms to find it, and on two occasions that meant we were running with the empty warning for longer than I'd like. Additionally, we heavily modified our driving habits (never more than 90 km/hr on highways, even if the limit was 100) to ensure maximum fuel economy.

mtnbike28 said:
That was very well done. I don't think many understand how much more "work" it is to do video of your travels. But the results you got were awesome! Did you get to see any Aurora?

Thanks mtnbike28! It was a bit more work but honestly we had a blast figuring out how to make the shots work with the gear we have. There's one shot of the two of us driving, and it's taken from the hood of the car. To get that, I found these 3m Command Strips at a gas station we stopped at mixed in with the other odds and ends, and they worked like a charm. All part of the adventure! No Aurora on this trip but we've seen it many times before. Living in Edmonton means they come out quite a bit, and all we need to do is to hit up a roof and/or head 20 mins outside the city to get out of the lights. Also, we subscribe to this thing called "aurora watch" run by the UofAlberta, and they e-mail us when activity is likely to be high.

Bushcoat said:
Great video, great inspiration!

You got to love those backroad mapbooks. My wife calls me "addicted" to them lol.

I feel like a bit of a slouch having only put on 1200 km over the thanksgiving weekend, sleeping in a warm bed, having warm showers.

Thanks! Those books are awesome -- they really do open up a lot of the road less travelled. I also prefer the paper map rather then the GPS, though having both is obviously very useful. One of these days I'm going to track down a good source of paper-based satellite images that can let me pick out old logging roads that may have since been closed. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears! Thought about rigging up Google Earth but as I understand it, it needs internet connectivity to get some of the data I need. In general I'll have to do more learning.

takesiteasy said:
More kudos to you- the video was very well done. I would quibble with your statement that you are not a videographer- this proves quite the opposite is true. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for posting it. My wife and I hope to have some adventures in Canada in the coming years- thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you very much for the kind words! If I can be of any assistance for you two exploring my country, please let me know!

Thanks again all!
Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior