This is disturbing... Apparently our Tires have been Killing the Salmon

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
2020 Strikes Again: Apparently Your Tires Are Killing Salmon

Dec 4, 2020
“A scientific report from the University of Washington published in the journal Science (via a report in The Seattle Times) has linked 6PPD, a near-universal chemical added to tires as a preservative, with the death of coho salmon in the Northwest. And it's not just a couple of salmon here and there.

In some runs, between 40 and 90 percent of the salmon die before spawning due to the symptoms that researchers were exploring, independent of other causes of fish mortality. This issue affects a great deal of the area studied: the Puget Sound. And the culprit, the researchers concluded, is an obscure chemical found in tire dust that is washing into watersheds...”

Last edited:

tanuki.himself

I love chemicals, but, I think it's strange every time I see a "chemicals are bad for you" story. Well, duh!

It's a process. They now know that 6PPD is to be avoided. The manufacturers will find another way to do the same thing, once they are required. Tires will cost a little more. It's the price we pay to not live in a smog holes.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Simple solution is to catch and filter all the run off that enters the streams and rivers.

The problem is that would cost the government money, lots of it!

So they will shift the ban to the people and then be upset when they find out it also affects government vehicles.

Case in point in California if you pave more than 5,000 sf you have to put filters in you storm drain system to catch the oil but there are no filters in the street catch basins or drainage channels

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So they will shift the ban to the people and then be upset when they find out it also affects government vehicles.
Upset? They'll just exempt themselves from the rules.

Ergo...
Case in point in California if you pave more than 5,000 sf you have to put filters in you storm drain system to catch the oil but there are no filters in the street catch basins or drainage channels

Alloy

Shame on me for having fun with this situation when others are worried they will not have enough salmon egg's bait to fish with.?

Once the salmon has been in the fresh water for a week the meat is horrible so the only reason the fish are caught is to strip the roe.

Couple of year ago commercial roe fishing went from Aug to Sept. with plants of 100 people processing/packing the roe.
This year there was so few Salmon on the Fraser River it didn't make sense wasting the fuel to go out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94