This I Like - Gama Goat

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
That's a great looking rig. I'll bet it's amazingly "capable."
Are you familiar with the builder/owner?

:smiley_drive:

chet

island Explorer
I've ridden in a gamma goat and there is no way I would use one for an EX rig. they are hella loud and very slow! 6WD though and ride quite soft due to Independant suspension.

Robthebrit

Explorer
Don't they suffer from tip over problems when articulated on a side slope?

There used to be articulated Unimog called a unikick which was used for logging but it was taken out of production due to lots of tip overs. Basic mechanics indicates this would have a similar problem and it does not have a super wide stance to help it out.

Rob

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
chet said:
I've ridden in a gamma goat and there is no way I would use one for an EX rig. they are hella loud and very slow! 6WD though and ride quite soft due to Independant suspension.
I'm sure the conversion this fella did to a small block Chevy does wonders for the slow part. He also said he insulated the cab with closed cell foam and that helps to quiet it does a little. I suspect that it's not exactly a Cadillac, though.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Robthebrit said:
Don't they suffer from tip over problems when articulated on a side slope?

There used to be articulated Unimog called a unikick which was used for logging but it was taken out of production due to lots of tip overs. Basic mechanics indicates this would have a similar problem and it does not have a super wide stance to help it out.

Rob

Ya want one? Sean at Euro Truck has one listed on his site right now.
http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/dieselmogs.htm

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
These were used by my old unit long, long ago.
Loud (double hearing protection required), slow, thirsty (MOGAS), and very maintenance intensive. Way too many U-joints as I remember it and tipsy on a slope... :Wow1:

ShearPin

Adventurer
Gama Goat

No, I don't know the owner - I just stumbled across it while waisting time. A friend of mine is a Viet vet and indicated these were basically universally hated.

Perhaps it's not ideal but I admire the owners imagination. Personally - I'd get a hell of a kick out of running around Baja in this.

Henry

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
OMG, the Gama Goat has to be one of the worst vehicles ever made! :D

We still had them in Germany when I was there (87-89.) I'll never forget one of the first field problems I went on with the MI battalion, they had a couple of Gama Goats with shelters in the back for electronic equipment. Our garrison was in Ansbach, about 20 miles West of Nuernberg (Nuremberg), and our first tactical site was up around Grafenwoehr, about 70 miles to the Northeast. Now, normally you'd figure 70 miles is an hour in a car, especially on the German Autobahn. Even if you threw in the 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks which can easily cruise at 45mph, it's no more than a 2 hour trip, right?

Wrong! It took us 4 1/2 hours to get to the site, and all because we had to go at the same speed as the Gama Goats, or about 25mph! And that was on flat ground - this part of Germany is called the Frankischer Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland) because it's covered by low mountains, and every time we hit a grade those goats slowed down to about 15mph! :yikes:

By the time we got to our field site, the battalion commander was steamed! He said he was never going through that again, and when we redeployed back to garrison, he sent the goats ahead of us in a separate convoy, along with a CUCV (Chevy Blazer) full of mechanics and spare parts to fix them when (not if) they broke down.

Oh yes, and the noise: The Goat has a 3 cyl, 2-stroke (yes, 2-stroke!) diesel engine that is louder than any motor vehicle engine I've ever heard. Not only is it loud, but it's a high-pitched screaming sound that is sort of like a jet taking off.

Bottom line: The only people who ever loved Gama Goats were people who never had to drive them, service them, or depend on them for any reason! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94