This European Life: an Open Travelogue

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
The long-waited second half of my Mexico City journal. Two police encounters, a sculpture that resembles Humphrey Bogart, and even more traditional delights are part of this week's update!

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Oh, On to Oaxaca!

On a separate note, I took a stab at automotive journalism and wrote an article on 10 great coupes for college. Check it out!

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
There will be an update to the blog very soon. I just opened the Export section for those who would like me to send them some stuff along the way, anything from coffee to car parts. I would like to raise as much money as possible to fund a trip to Cuba and take a look at their classic jalopies, including a mysterious 300SL Gullwing that lies somewhere in the Eastern part of the island...

ThHIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Exports

This may actually turn into a very serious business trip. If I manage to find a buyer (do you know anyone?), I may be able to save it and get it out with enough persistence and maybe some bribes. This thing just cannot sit there and rust to death. There are other treasures that I will document as well, but, for now, I estimate I will need $400-$500 to hop over and stay for enough time and run all over looking for automotive curiosities.

Delibes

Drat, double drat!

marshal32

Oaxaca is a very good place to visit. There are some good beaches on the Pacific coast, but if you're staying in the city, here's my advice. Monte Alban. The zocalo. Casita de la Abuelita (a restaurant on the Zocalo with the BEST mole I've ever had).

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
Thank you for the recommendation! Monte Alban is on my list as a weekend trip, and will check that restaurant!

For now, long time since the last post! I have recently joined the ExPo team as a weekend writer and I could not be happier! This entry is one I meant to write a long, long way ago; I have been keeping the pictures for the last month and a half, before crossing the Mexican border. Automotive enthusiasts, feast!

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Deaming of Home

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
Alright! Long time since the last post; not much has been happening here at the hostel. I am pretty much confined to the place and I do not have much time to explore around. That will soon change next weekend, as I will take off to continue the route! Expect a special on the Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) very soon...

...and talking of the dead, well, in today's post I adventure into a notoriously dangerous place where people have been killed at the hands of criminals. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Mercado de Abastos.

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE
ABASTOS: BOCA DEL LOBO

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
I got those pesky springs changed at the Mercedes truck dealership! I thought they would be the only ones with the right tools. Amazing low rates, too. The old springs, unfortunately, were from a 280E and left the nose way too low. Ride height is tall enough to go on rural roads. I got the oil changed and the brake pads changed while they were at it, and I will swap the cruise control unit, the emergency brake light sensor, and the exhaust hangers right on the street. Should not be any problem at all! ;)

319034_543385952344470_1965814524_n.jpg

There is Livingstone, up in a "pedestal" for proud display to customers.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I got those pesky springs changed at the Mercedes truck dealership! I thought they would be the only ones with the right tools. Amazing low rates, too. The old springs, unfortunately, were from a 280E and left the nose way too low. Ride height is tall enough to go on rural roads. I got the oil changed and the brake pads changed while they were at it, and I will swap the cruise control unit, the emergency brake light sensor, and the exhaust hangers right on the street. Should not be any problem at all! ;)

319034_543385952344470_1965814524_n.jpg

There is Livingstone, up in a "pedestal" for proud display to customers.

Maybe you should lift him and convert Livingston to a 4x4.:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
Maybe you should lift him and convert Livingston to a 4x4.:D

Hahahahaha! I wish! Maybe if ExpeditionPortal hires me, I will get myself a G diesel. Same excellent engine!

Now, this is a question for everybody following the adventure: would anyone be interested on buying something from Oaxaca before I leave? Especially now in the Day of the Dead (Dia de Muertos) before it ends! I have fulfilled about three orders so far and have one week left...

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Here are some things you may like: ceramic skulls, black Oaxacan pottery, folkloric dresses, dried (edible) grasshoppers, marzipans, skull candy, chocolate, dried fruit candies, antiques, figurines...

Send me a PM!

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
I finally got around to writing the entry for the glorious Day of the Dead. Much against what we Westerners do, it's a day full of celebration, joy, food and music! I really makes you rethink how one should approach our own traditions.

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Dia de Muertos

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
...and now for some shameless self-promotion...

I actually shot a little video today in the food market I like to go to. It's 37 seconds long but it has some cool goodies!

Please take a minute to subscribe/like my facebook page, as it seems to be the only medium where low-quality videos (need to be small!) can be posted without looking out of place! ;)

Departing tomorrow for Chiapas and Yucatán!!!

Delibes

Drat, double drat!
I am currently writing from a hostel from the overly humid town of Cancún. Today concludes my visit to the Yucatán Peninsula, so I will start writing an article very soon on that. However, for now, I shall narrate the events as they happened on my departure from my two-month work experience in Oaxaca. The trip is alive and well, folks!

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: The Wonders of Chiapas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles