This could be a game changer for some, Ford Transit Trail coming to the US

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Yep, tire size is the single most important aspect in gaining clearance. Unless Ford does something that ends up providing aftermarket companies with more options on adding larger tires, not much improvement I suppose.

coguzzi

Adventurer
well, i stand corrected (and owning up to it-ha) trail package was released today but pricing is not available yet. im still jaded they have the balls to offer a new model when i have had an ordfer in for 3 model years over 21 months and its still not scheduled. that and order window for 23 is closed--so how is someone supposed to get one.

anyway, here are the facts. and it is a 2.25" body lift and 247/75/16 tires that get it to 3.5"--not all lift

*Transit Trail (47N)
Availability:
  • Cargo van...ONLY body style
  • 3.5L EcoBoost engine (99G)
  • AWD model
*Medium and High roof models with 148" Wheelbase and High roof 148" Wheelbase/Extended Length
* 9,500 GVWR body codes / W2C, W2X, and W3U

Includes:

• 3.5" body lift with improved ground clearance, approach and departure angles
  • 2.75" increase in frontal and rear track width
  • Unique Transit Trail badge
  • 16" Transit Trail Black Alloy Wheels
  • 245/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse All Terrain Tire
  • Slider Style Side Steps (Driver & Passenger sides)
  • Unique Black Transit Trail Grille with integrated grille lamps
  • Black HID Headlamps (91C)
  • Unique Skid Plate Style Front Bumper
  • Unique Transit Trail Splash Guards and Wheel Arch Cladding
  • Front Wheel Arch Liners
  • Intelligent Access with Push Button Start (41J)
  • Blind Spot Assist 1.0 (65A)
  • Front Fog Lamps (55D)
  • Auxiliary Fuse Panel with High Spec Interface Connector (87E)
  • Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4 way manual Swivel Driver & Passenger Seats (21T)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio, and 12" Display (58C)
  • High Resolution Digital Camera (61E)
  • Power Outlet - 110V/400W (90D)
  • Power Point - 12V (87A)
  • Front Overhead Shelf (66D)
  • Reverse Sensing System (43R)
  • Side Sensing System (94A)
  • Fixed Rear Cargo Door Glass and Fixed Passenger Side Glass (17B)
  • Illuminated Sun Visors (85C)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (60D) except w/ Audio package 58F
  • Privacy Glass (92E)
  • Dual AGM Batteries (63E)
  • Keyless Entry Pad (52C)
  • Dual Note Horns (85D)
  • B-Pillar Assist Handle (41B)
  • Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow package (53B)
    Upgradeable Features/Options
    (additional charge options)
  • Roof Vent (76B)
  • Extended Range Fuel Tank (655)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio with Navigation, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (iACC) and 12" Audio Package (58F)
  • 360 Degree Camera with Split View feature and Front Washer (61D)
  • Upfitter Package (67C)
  • Ebony Leather, 10 way Power Heated Driver & Passenger seats (21S)
NON Available Options
* Remote Start (68B)
* Heavy-Duty Cargo Flooring (60B)
* Exterior Upgrade Package - SRW (18D)/ DRW (18L)
* Rear View Display in Rear View Mirror (61B)
* MyKey (62B)
* Rear Bumper Delete (43F)
* Interior Upgrade Package (96C)
* Load Area Protection Package (96D)
* Reverse Brake Assist (43S)
* 'E' Transit
* Front/Rear A/C with floor heat (57G)
* Bulkheads - Options (47T) and (47U)
* Heavy-Duty Scuff Plate Kit (85B)
* Enhanced Active Park Assist (94B)
* Virtual Rear View Mirror (90C)
* ANY Factory Running Boards (68H) (68L) (68J)

Joey G

Hm, nothing too earth shattering. It's disappointing that remote start is apparently excluded. With the exception of the lift, I'm not seeing anything that would compel me personally to purchase a Trail vs. speccing out a regular Transit. It does look like an appealing package for someone who doesn't want to tinker as much and prefers something a little closer to turn-key.

I wonder how the vent fan is powered. There doesn't appear to be a house battery provision, or is one of the AGMs isolated?

coguzzi

Adventurer
price released now, $12,620 so kind of premium. i 100% agree, nothing to appealing past the factory lift and wider offset wheels. i think the fender flares are lip stick and butt ugly, and "slider style steps"==um just make em real sliders. then being forced to fixed glass slider door--all turn offs for me. id still piece it together after market myself i think--factory lift is what i want to know more about

ps--im keeping my 2 existing orders going and not cancelling to try to get one of these

Railvan

Adventurer

Glad to see the 3.5" lift instead of 2". I know that includes larger tires but I'm OK with that. Wish it had low range but I'm just old school.

Is this based on a Transit "half ton" platform, as I see a 9,500 GVWR.

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
price released now, $12,620 so kind of premium. i 100% agree, nothing to appealing past the factory lift and wider offset wheels. i think the fender flares are lip stick and butt ugly, and "slider style steps"==um just make em real sliders. then being forced to fixed glass slider door--all turn offs for me. id still piece it together after market myself i think--factory lift is what i want to know more about

ps--im keeping my 2 existing orders going and not cancelling to try to get one of these

Sources say its a Q-lift, to be installed offsite from the factory.
Ford certified the Quigley lift....

Steve_382

Bump to bring this back to life? Has anyone actually seen one of the Ford Transit Trail vehicles? I called my Ford dealer and they looked it up and thought it was pretty cool, but they have no idea if it will ever be available. They told me the order book was closed on Transits until September 2023, but then it looks like RV manufacturers are able to get vehicles and chassis cabs again. Who knows.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
The first Trails are scheduled for production in June and I assume will continue through the end of the model year.
Your dealer not knowing anything about it is very common. If the dealer doesn't sell, order, receive Transits then they wont get Transits. You have to find a dealer that is focused on the commercial side and moves Transits. It's about allocations.
The Trail order bank was opened for a period of time after the regular Transit order bank closed and was open for quite some time. You would essentially have to be an "enthusiast" to even really know about the Trail.
People have mentioned "rolling their own" lift on a regular Transit, etc. (I'm sure it will continue to be done) I thought the same thing but the big benefit will be a correct speedo, a roll stability control that is programmed for the tire sizes/van height, and a owners manual that doesn't say "do not install oversize tires".
There is no amount of tinkering that will get you those things. As a person building/selling vans, it removes a lot of liability.
More info on fordtransitusa forum, search for "crewvanman" Trail" posts

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
The first Trails are scheduled for production in June and I assume will continue through the end of the model year.
Your dealer not knowing anything about it is very common. If the dealer doesn't sell, order, receive Transits then they wont get Transits. You have to find a dealer that is focused on the commercial side and moves Transits. It's about allocations.
The Trail order bank was opened for a period of time after the regular Transit order bank closed and was open for quite some time. You would essentially have to be an "enthusiast" to even really know about the Trail.
People have mentioned "rolling their own" lift on a regular Transit, etc. (I'm sure it will continue to be done) I thought the same thing but the big benefit will be a correct speedo, a roll stability control that is programmed for the tire sizes/van height, and a owners manual that doesn't say "do not install oversize tires".
There is no amount of tinkering that will get you those things. As a person building/selling vans, it removes a lot of liability.
More info on fordtransitusa forum, search for "crewvanman" Trail" posts
When I first called my buddy who is a fleet sales manager, he had never even heard of the trail model. Now he's heard the words, but not much info out to him yet. I'm just hoping the aftermarket finds a way to take a trail model and lift it even more without causing more problems than its worth.

Steve_382

At least I was able to find a place on their website to select the "Trail" package when using the build your own tool. Wasn't easy though. Might try to call them again this week and see if things have changed regarding availability.

1685882675551.png

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
At least I was able to find a place on their website to select the "Trail" package when using the build your own tool. Wasn't easy though. Might try to call them again this week and see if things have changed regarding availability.
Who you gonna call?
They are pulling Transit orders for production currently so any lack of availability has to do with dealers who have no interest.
Read @TheDesertRat post above. If his fleet dealer wanted to sell Trail models he would know all about them.
My previous quote "You would essentially have to be an "enthusiast" to even really know about the Trail." This includes the salesman!
@TheDesertRat "Now he's heard the words, but not much info out to him yet.
His fleet dealer is going to be waiting a long time for info to be sent to him by Ford.
My salesman has numerous orders.
The Transit Trail will not be spoon fed to you by your dealer or Ford I can assure you. No ads during the Super Bowl, no pop ups on Expo, no posters or brochures at the dealer, nothing.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
If I get serious about ordering one, I am sure my fleet guy can accommodate. But, I'd rather wait a few years to see what the aftermarket does with it first. Ford is definitely playing catch up to the Sprinter in this regard.

86scotty

Cynic
If I get serious about ordering one, I am sure my fleet guy can accommodate. But, I'd rather wait a few years to see what the aftermarket does with it first. Ford is definitely playing catch up to the Sprinter in this regard.

It defies logic but it's most certainly true, isn't it? Without knocking Sprinters I think even most Sprinter owners would agree they are more expensive and harder to find maintenance for but they are still much more in demand. Personally I think it comes down to the actual lines of the vehicle. Purely aesthetics. Sprinters just look better. Though this is my opinion I would never buy one based on what I said above. Also, no Sprinter will ever compare to the Transit/Ecoboost performance combination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior