This came in my E-mail today

egn

Adventurer
It would be interesting to know how long it runs on one set of batteries and if it can also run on USB power.

The 1 MB seems to very much storage space. wit about 40 bytes per record you can store only 25.000 records. If you have a interval of 1 s that is only a few hours. May be the specification is wrong.

I use a kind of homebuild tracker which uses a SD-card of up to 2 GB storage space. It is permanently connected to a 12 V outlet in the car and starts automatically whenever the ignition is on. And with a SIRFIII chipset it tracks very well even in forest.

egn

Adventurer
LandCruiserPhil said:
I dont see it doing anything more then a track on a GPS. What Im I missing?

Yes, the only purpose of this device is to track the current GPS position. Some will say that this can be done much cheaper with their GPS device they already have and they are right.

But for me a dedicated device for the truck is much easier because I don't have to remember to turn this functionality on and depending on storage capacity have to download the tracks every day. If you miss that then you may loose information. So recording is done automatically every day and after a long journey of multiple weeks I just copy the complete data.

The above device could be used for the same purpose. But of course, it should be possible to turn tracking on on USB power automatically and should be able to record more data.

Last edited:

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
That is a neat device for maybe $99. I'd still rather have the Spot due to the emergency service potential.

Good find though ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles