This Big Road Trip

This Big Road Trip

The La Guajira region in Colombia. A true no man's land at the peak of South America. Ignored by the Spanish invaders and current governments of both Colombia and neighboring Venezuela.

Our latest blog post details our journey to Punta Gallinas, the most northerly point in Southerner's America and home to the Wayuu people.

As we move further North West it becomes apparent that, unlike the U.S. deserts, people actually live here. It's not like we didn't know; it's just that the reality of life in this death zone suddenly hits us. The further we move the highway the more insane their living conditions seem. Low slung mud squares with a door, occasional areas of cracked and faded paint attempting to add some joy. A hammock clinging to shade. Some clothes on a line that probably dried before the hands that put them there let go.

READ MORE HERE >>>> https://nimblvehicles.com/the-north-of-the-south

This Big Road Trip Punta Gallinas 5 Columbia.jpg

This Big Road Trip

New video available now. After getting 'stuck' in the wonderful Guiamaro Campsite for a few weeks we felt a short break was in order. We headed through the Santander backroad trails, through pineapple, papaya, coffee and tobacco fields, right into the heart of the Chicamocha Canyon. Street camping in the tiny town of Jordán.

Last edited:

This Big Road Trip

Apologies if I missed it, but did you end up picking those tires up that you had purchased?

Yes, we got hold of them in Medellin. We didn’t need them, our existing tires had quite a bit left on them, but it is was both easier and far cheaper than trying to find them further south so we swapped them out. 18’s are not easy (but not impossible) to find after Mexico.

We got Yokohama M/T again as we liked the first set so much.

This Big Road Trip

If you have or are thinking of having a Dometic fridge then take a peek at this article I wrote for Truck Camper Adventure's website.
  • 50% fridge review (Spoiler: we like it)
  • 50% Tips on things we would be careful of, change, include a pre-emptive fix for.
Check out the link >>> HERE <<< or click the image below.

NB: Just to be transparent - we are in no way affiliated with Dometic, receive any kickback/money/product from Dometic.

this-big-road-trip-dometic.jpg

This Big Road Trip

Loved your Mexico trip video!!
Haha, thanks. You, must love the random stuff! I have struggled with video. Photos are so much less stress and take way less time to look good. Videos are super hard so we never really bothered. I have just purchased a bunch of video stuff and we want to do more. I need to fire off the Central America video .... more random clips thrown together so you might like that. Then we have 'Pre-Lockdown in Colombia, which might be slightly less random. So that will be another video. The lockdown ones we've done and after that things might get a bit more regular and a bit more of a story to them. One thing I learned is that simply grabbing video clips here and there and throwing them together leaves you with almost no story. And story is what makes a video. So you have to plan a little in advance and shoot accordingly. We'll see how that goes!!!

Look out for the Central American one in the next week or so. Some cool clips from the Semana Santa weekend in Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Also, a bit where we ditched the camper and helped crew a small yacht through the Panama Canal for a few days.

This Big Road Trip

We have another blog post up in our site - a unique glimpse into a time gone by.
A village. Hidden away, securely, in the Colombian Andes. We heard about a fabled community, had an interview with an elder and, by some stroke of luck they decided to let us in. A simply astonishing place. An untouched Eden. Welcome to Nabusímake.
[Edit - This visit was pre-pandemic. November, 2019]

CHECK IT OUT > > > > > https://thisbigroadtrip.com/nabusimake-and-the-arhuacos/

Follow us @This Big Road Trip | YouTube - Facebook - Instagram - Website

EX2019 11 14 Nabusimake 4 Colombia.jpg EX2019 11 14 Nabusimake Colombia.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to have to read that last post on another day but before 3 p.m. next time (I never drink coffee after 3 p.m. that's my informal rule). That last read had me wanting a cup of coffee really, really bad. Good read & thanks for posting.....the pictures are amazing.....

This Big Road Trip

Amazing story, would love to see some more videos or slide shows.
I would too ..... they take a ton of time, especially video. I should really be a bit more carefree and just get them out there. I have a couple to come, a summary of South America (because we dod;t take much video before), a video on the Amazonas in Colombia (not with our truck, there are no roads in), a short one on Barichara and Guiamaro Campground in Colombia and a summary of Colombia. So .... a lot to put together. It's not even like I don't have time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier