Thirteen days in the Sahara

netllama

Observer
I've recently returned from spending time in the Sahara desert, the largest of this planet's many deserts. More specifically, I spent nearly 2 weeks exploring very remote corners of the nation of Mauritania.

Some of you may be thinking, Mauri-what?? Mauritania doesn't get much attention (and relatively little tourism), but its actually the world's 29th largest country, and sits on Africa's west coast, south of Morocco & Algeria, north & west of Mali, and north of Senegal. Nearly 99% of the country is desert. Many consider it to be one of the world's last remaining traditional desert cultures (more on this in a bit). Truth be told, I originally wanted to visit Mali instead (Timbuktu, etc), but the security situation there made it impossible, if I wanted any assurance of returning alive & unharmed. Thus, I started searching for alternatives, that weren't overrun by tourists (Morocco, Egypt), didn't have painful entry requirements (Algeria, Sudan & Tunisia), and weren't considered unstable or dangerous (Libya, Chad & Niger). Technically, the US State Dept still categorizes Mauritania as a level 3 (reconsider travel) destination (just below the level 4 'do not travel'). However, all the information from those on the ground suggested that the warning was vastly overblown, and the chances of danger were quite low as long as I kept away from the eastern Algeria & Mali border region.

Mauritania is not a wealthy nation. Iron mining is their largest industry (google the 'iron ore train' for more on that), but that benefits very few of their citizens. Outside of their 2 coastal cities, most of the country lacks electricity, safe drinking water, or even a reliable food supply. While that's not good, it does mean that change is very slow, and many people still live very traditional lives. Many are still goat or camel herders, nomads, living in simple tents that they move based on the seasons & weather. Camel caravans are still a thing (although not quite at the same level as hundreds of years ago). Many days, I visited with these people, stopping in for tea. Or they'd visit us. One evening, just before sunset, as dinner was being prepared, this guy wandered into our camp, from I have no clue where. He shared tea with us, chatted for over an hour (well past sunset), then got up, and walked off into the darkness. I'm guessing he lived in some tent, somewhere out there, but it was both creepy and amazing to see him wander into the night, with nothing other than his experience to guide him.

Enough rambling, you came here for the photos, right?

For a sense of scale, look for the tiny, white Toyota Hilux parked in the center left

Dead horse tells no tales

Caravan route

Chinguetti dune sea

Oudane ancient mosque

the eye of the sahara. Can be literally seen from space.

Aderg

View opposite Aderg

Someone used to live here

Ben Amera, the 3rd largest monolith on Earth

final campsite

Goat transport

Look for the crocs on the sand bar

Well water

Eating the road

Sahara selfie

the wall

stuck!

a perfect spot for lunch

pyrex 23. A solid 2 hour drive from civilization, they wandered into our camp at dusk, wanting to sell random trinkets.

continued in the next post....

netllama

Observer
hours from everywhere

the freeway

goat, its what's for dinner

Ben Amera dawn

Just 173 more miles to the coast

Hundreds of additional photos are available here. A very detailed, day by day trip report is posted here.
As a side note, I also spent about 9 days riding a motorbike south from Dakar, Senegal to Bissau, Guinea-Bissau as part of the same trip. That was also an amazing experience, but for completely different reasons. I've posted a detailed trip report of that portion of the trip here.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Super cool job on capturing the area in pictures. The sand of the Sahara makes dune travel very challenging.
Just returned from a few weeks in Tunisia made it to the top of Sif se Suane the Mt Everest of Tunisia.
North Africa is defiantly an exciting remote part of the world with some awesome resourceful people.

IMG_0738 (1).JPG

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
This is what Overlanding is all about !

Go out en joy whoever & whatever comes on your travels.

Thank You for Posting.

J!m

Awesome thanks for the pictures (and memories!).

Not surprising, it hasn’t changed since 2001, since it hasn’t changed much since 1901...

These places really make you appreciate what you have don’t they?

adam88

Explorer
This is so amazing. I was just reading about the western sahara area and then stumble across this.

I am fascinated by the water situation. I read about wells and how there are wells manned by people, I believe? How deep are these wells?

Are there any modern day houses or like, compounds built in the middle of these deserts? I know it sounds stupid but I always wondered if there were some millionaires out there building remote desert compounds with their own private wells, solar panels, helicopter landing pads, etc? Like the kind of stuff you see in movies......

J!m

Only supervillians build those compounds.

And when you find one, you are never heard from again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94