Thinking on 97-99 K2500 'Burban. Feedback?

yossarian19

Observer
Currently I'm driving a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0, automatic trans. Daily driving it, hey, it's a jeep. Fuel economy sucks & it's creaky. When I go climbing or need to haul things, though, the Jeep is usually too small. I can't sleep in it, can't get 4 people + climbing + camping gear inside the vehicle (I use a hitch mounted tray), can't tow more than 5k. So I'm thinking it's time to upsize.
I'd considered a full size Jeep like a Grand Wagoneer or Cherokee Chief but I'd have to go at least TBI, and probably an LS swap, before I'd be happy with the drivetrain. Ditto for the FJ60 Land Cruiser. A 60s Suburban would be cool, too but again - we're talking LS swap. I say LS swap for all these because if I'm going to get MPFI, which I want, it's going to be almost as much work to put a later Vortec 5.7 as it is for a 6.0.
So thats where I'm coming from. Now the questions:
What tend to be the 'Burban's shortcomings? I mean, what fails on them over the various years?
What if anything needs to be done to make them reasonable off roaders? I don't mean rock crawlers or serious mudders, just able to get through a rough dirt road & through some mud / snow / sand on the way camping?
Anything you wish was different about them as an expo camper / tow rig / weekend warrior rig?
If you had 5k in your budget to get a driving full size 4wd, would you get the Burban again or do something different?
I'm anticipating that it might just be too large a vehicle for some trails but think I'm OK with that.
Thanks for the input, folks!

evilfij

Explorer
My father has a 1998 k1500 with over 300k

I am his repair consultant in so far as when it needs something he calls me to find out where to buy it (I also put about 30k of those miles on it including a few in GWNF) so I know everything that was done. Autotrack T case went at 295k, rear axle bearings at 280k, a front diff seal around 200k, a radiator at some point, y-pipe and o2 sensors around 160k. Shocks, springs, alternator, water pump, wheel bearings, other sensors are all original.

Other than that, just obsessive maintenance (synthetic since new oil changes every 5k tops, frequent trans fluid, brake, coolant, diff changes etc.) brakes, tires, wipers.

I pushed for a K2500 when he bought it, but none were to be had (GM strike at the time).

As far as what goes bad, I think the K2500 eliminates most of the issues. The knock on the 1500s was always the rear axle and the trans, both of which are stronger in the K2500

It will by no means go everywhere my D90 will go, but it is fine for mild trials and places where it fits, but the breakover angle sucks and it is not as high off the ground as a superduty. It is also amazing on the highway and gets high teens (18-19) cruising on the highway (3.42 rear end, 2500 would be worse I would think). With a 44 gallon tank (I think) the range is great. I could get 800 miles on a highway trip no problem. You can comfortably sleep in the back with the seats folded and third seat removed. Rear AC is great to have, but the back seat is a little less room leg room than I would like for tall people.

I just missed a clean 1999 K2500 with the big block and 120k on it for 3k locally. My first choice would be a 96 and up K2500 with the 5.7 vortec which has plenty of power.

Kaisen

Explorer
The newer bodystyle (2000-2006) has come down so far in price, it might make sense to take a look. Generally, the LS series motors are a step up from the old 5.7s. If you're looking at a 3/4 ton (2500) then it would be a 6.0L.

I've owned both style Subs: a 1996 7.4L, a 1999 5.7L, and a 2003 8.1L

I'd steer you to a 2003-2006 K2500 6.0L ...... they are out there for less than $5K if you look

Honestly, you might do just fine with a 1/2 ton based on what you said your needs were

jluck

Adventurer
If your really stuck on one engine (LS), I'd put out the little bit more to get a newer burb with desired engine in the first place. You will have three times the money in to buying a older burb and swapping a LS. I have a 96 2500 (7.4) that I do really like.....But yesterday I filled it up and.....9.35 MPG! and I drive pretty easy these days. I am thinking about a solid axle swap and a Cummins 4BT but laws of diminishing returns play in there at some point. Good luck and they are great rigs that can be had cheap!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What tend to be the 'Burban's shortcomings? I mean, what fails on them over the various years?"
-
In order: Balljoints, tierods, seats, aluminum diff housings, shocks, brakes are the things that disappointed me. After that It's actually a reliable vehicle with an interior that only a Chinese Rubber Dog Poo Factory worker could love. Good engines, especially the LT, LS and later versions. Decent priced tranny rebuilds.
-
Burbans limits? Wheelwells are kinda tight. Front diff shouldn't be locked. 2500 is the way to go, avoid the 1500 if I were you. Lame electric xfer case shifter. Not very lift friendly. Perfect to lift it a tiny bit and fit 285 or 295 sized tires. But if you need tires bigger than that, I'd rather start with a different vehicle.
-
If you can increase your budget some, also look at crewcab trucks. It's rare that a CC LWB truck can't do something as well or better than a 'Burban. Usually that 3rd row seating area is nothing more than cargo space, which a bed often deos better. But I'm thinking of CC '98+ Fords with their Huge back seats, I'm not too familiar with the backseat in GM's and Dodges. (No backseats in most of our fleet) Also look at 6.8L Ford Excusions. Easier to setup and tougher IMO.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I am sitting here reading this thread & left scratching my head in all honesty

every vehicle will have some issue arise at one point or another

cttandy

Observer
I have had a TON's of these and put a lot of miles on them. Never had any ball joint problems that any other vehicle wouldn't see. The 1500 transmissions are the weak link, but measures can be taken to keep them alive. My 99 has 230,000 miles and runs like a top. It has only ever had a/c compressor, fuel sending unit replaced because the gauge quit working, steering idler and pitman arm. It has been worked HARD and never babied.

I upgraded to stainless braided brake hoses/ceramic pads and am doing the GMT-800 brake master cyl swap soon. Not that it wouldn't stop in factory form, just didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

No torsion cranking and no fender trimming and it is sitting on LT285/70R17's.

The biggest weak point of these trucks (vortec 305/350) are the intake gaskets. If you get the update gaskets from the dealer, pretty much a once and done affair.

18-19MPG on the road, respectable power, pulls like nothing is even behind it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have yet to go on a trail I couldn't fit. Even in a 1 ton long bed crew cab, let alone in my burb. I would get a burb again for taking the family out, once the kids are grown well that is still aways away.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Look at '00 6.0's as that is the only year with cast iron heads, and you likely will never have an issue.

X2 on the big Excursion. Just bought one, my second actually, and building it as we speak. Burbs are sweet, but the 6.8 X w/ SD running gear and straight axles- hard to beat as a platform!! Weak front hubs, lousy suspension but easily fixed, rock solid motor! My buddy just sold his w/ 270k, and no real issues except coil pack at 250k...

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I went from a 2001 XJ Cherokee to a 99 k1500 burb. I love the extra space, and I am actually get a little better gas mileage, especially towing. Both vehicles in my signature for reference.

The things that fail are the spider injectors on the 5.7 motor and all of them will need a new fuel pump at some point.

SARguru

Observer
I have owned an '88 k1500, '99 k1500, '95 k1500hd with 6.5td, '03 k1500 and now in a '10 k1500. I would prefer a k2500, but I have always bought them as lease returns with 80-105k kms apart from the 95 diesel whch had 260k km and had been really beat up. These were all daily drivers not much off-road, the '03 had a cracked head when I bought it, not sure what the previous owner did with it, of if this was some type of defect. It also has someone mentioned an issue with the electronic transfer case, where once the actuator locked into 4x4 and I could not get into 4x2. my current 2010 I have put 100k kms in 3 years and have had not one issue with the truck, its not gone into the shop apart for oil changes.

Now I havent done much offroading with my burbs, i have owned 3 hummer h1 which i offroaded with, if you go to GM.com and compare vehicles, I looked at the specs and a k2500 sub has a shorter wheelbase then a k2500hd silverado crewcab, in fact i was surprise to see that the wheelbase is actually shorter than a regular cab silverado with 8ft bed. unfortunately there is no specs on the departure and aproach angles although you could probably find it if you downloaded the veh brochure. So really I dont see why a burb could do anything a 4x4 crew cab could do or not do. I apart from the obvious stupid have never found anywhere I couldnt go.

I have a lot of equipment that I like to carry, over the years have seen many people get their gear ripped off from pick up truck with caps where as I dont know many people who got their stuff ripped from an suv. Yes someone can rip stuff out of your burb but it tends to keep the slightly dishonest honest. I have dark tint in the cargo area and I could have gold bars on the cargo area and you wouldnt be able to see them in there - out of site out of mind!

last spring I did a 15000kms expedition with my girlfriend and my lab. from eastern ontario to British Columbia then into Washington, Oregon, NEvada, Cal, Utah COlorado and back. WHile in Moab we got 4 day wind storm where on the 1st morning we woke up to over an inch of sand on top of us, the rest of the nights we slept in the back of the burb and stored our stuff in the tent, we slept very comfortably and had a double size air matress in there, it got very hot during some of the nights, and we were able to remote start the truck from the sleeping area and have some a/c. For the trip I had the middle seat 60% down and the dogs airline crate strapped to it, the dog could see out of the driver side passenger window and would load / unload from that door. I had climbing, skiing/snowboard gear, mountain bikes, backpack and basecamp tents, stove, food, water, clothes etc. basically we were from mountain environment to desert environment, so the burb permits carrying lots of cargo.

I have driven them in 2 feet of snow, in mud, desert sand in COlorado and Moab, never had an issue, my plans is to lift my 2010 a bit I am not looking for a rock crawler either. Just to be able to go where i have to go.

I have 2 dogs and 2 kids the 6 of us go camping regularly and the burb has been ideal. The only thing I would change is a k2500 although the k1500 with the 5.3 active fuel managment i get very good fuel economy. Like many i wish GM would offer a k2500 with a diesel.

my random thoughts

Nic
2010 chev suburban
Ottawa Ontario

yossarian19

Observer
OK. I'm going to look for a K2500, either 6.0 or 5.7. For me big blocks are out because of fuel economy - though the 8.1 is awfully tempting, especially as I start to consider flipping cars for side cash. Diesels are out because of the less than sterling reputation the 6.2 and 6.5 have, though I hear the 6.5 TD has updated units that will last forever. Just don't know that I want to go there.
Nic - that sounds like *exactly* the type of capability I want. Get me up the hill the nigh before a powder morning, get me to the remote-*** trailheads, get me up the forest service roads that don't get maintained. Get me a good night's sleep when the sand is blowing. Rock crawling is less important to me.

jluck

Adventurer
OK. I'm going to look for a K2500, either 6.0 or 5.7. For me big blocks are out because of fuel economy - though the 8.1 is awfully tempting, especially as I start to consider flipping cars for side cash. Diesels are out because of the less than sterling reputation the 6.2 and 6.5 have, though I hear the 6.5 TD has updated units that will last forever. Just don't know that I want to go there.
Nic - that sounds like *exactly* the type of capability I want. Get me up the hill the nigh before a powder morning, get me to the remote-*** trailheads, get me up the forest service roads that don't get maintained. Get me a good night's sleep when the sand is blowing. Rock crawling is less important to me.
Good choice. I have a 96 with the 7.4L and it's nothing special in the power department. Not enough to justify the fuel mileage. I love the rig and might end up doing a 4BT swap but if I was buying again and not towing a heavy trailer I would look to a 6.0L sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles