Thinking of swapping my RTT for a swag.

Doc Fluty

My current thought process is to replace my current James Baroud RTT that is on my bed rack with something like a Pioneer Platform.

I would then sleep in a swag in the bed of my truck. My truck has a Retrax Pro rolling bed cover so I could store the swag in the bed while driving along with other items... but many things such as the maxtrax, storage boxes, shovels, and more could be put on the platform.

Doing this allows me to not have the RTT on my truck all year round. I'm a disabled veteran so it is not easy for me to get the tent on and off.

I do love my tent and it is super easy to open and close. It takes me less than a minute to open and maybe two to close. It is comfortable, kept me warm in the cold, and allowed a breeze when it was hot.. I just hate that weight and look up there all the time.

I thought about buying a cheap swag to try my theory out before i sell my RTT and commit. I also thought about putting the tent on a trailer but I've never towed before and that is a heckuva new expense.

let me know if you think I would regret the decision to sell my tent to buy a platform and swag.

xPlWDHL.jpg

Cruisn

Adventurer
I have a ARB double dome swag, I also had a standard ground swag in single size. both were great, kept me dry and comfy. I use the swag on short trips less that 2-3 days anything longer and I chuck the RTT tent on the wagon as over a longer period of time the RTT is more comfy, and you get the nightly breeze. I have a fabric RTT though so its a bit of work to pack up vs the swag.

my thoughts, get the swag if you only do weekend warrior gigs.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
It's also a chore getting in and out of the RTT. I loved mine when I had it. I moved the RTT off my LC onto a utility trailer as a test to see if trailering was for me. It worked so well that the advantages made the small disadvantages disappear. I then justified (to myself) the expense of a "squaredrop" off road trailer. I guess to be fair, the idea of a hard sided off road trailer was my goal. Don't get me wrong, the RTT worked well for me before I sold it. But I guess it was a growing experience. There are times when an RTT is a better choice. And in a way, I miss that kind of camping. I'll get over it.

driller

old soul wanderer
I have several different swag setups and i set them up on a stretcher cot. Makes for a very comfortable setup. easy to get in and out of. Set up and teardown takes a little longer than an RTT. but im not climbing all over my truck putting the tent back together and im not climbing ladders.

Attachments

• 20210303_182557.jpg
    20210303_182557.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99

devero4

Adventurer
So being a disabled veteran... what did you decide? I was also thinking about picking up a single swag for weekend trips and keeping my Oztent for 3+ nighters. I have learned there is no perfect setup, period, but still curious what you had discovered? I have bad knees at the low age of 31, so a that is my only concern with a swag. Not much bending over of kneeling down with my Oz and that's big for me

JackW

Explorer
I spent a lot of years sleeping in my original Eureka Timberline 2 man tent which was big enough to hold a cot and dead simple to set up.
When the waterproofing coating finally failed (and started to stink) I replaced it with a bigger Eureka tent but I still miss the old Timberline sometimes.
I had a huge canvas Eureka Draw-Tite eight man tent that my sister "borrowed" from me and destroyed in a flood.
The Timberline was a good size - almost tall enough to put your pants on while standing bent at the waist or sitting on a cot and big enough for everything I needed at night.
It packed up pretty small as well - a good size to carry in a short wheelbase 4WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles