Thinking of a locking diff for my 2wd, talk me into/out of it

ratled

Adventurer
'02 Chevy 1500 Silverado 2wd. I'm thinking about adding a locking diff for it. I have my Jeep Jk for the true off road stuff but this would be for those times when the 2wd, really 1wd even with the limited slip, gets stuck I can just hit the EZ button and back out.

I know it won't be the same as a 4wd, especially for sand and mud, but tell why I should or shouldn't. It would be a sort of like the 2wd pre runner class

TwinDuro

@ratled,

If you find yourself needing more traction on your 2WD 1500 Silverado, I can't really think of any downsides to adding a selectable rear locker (since you mentioned "easy-button", I'll assume you want a selectable vs an automatic locker) other then the cost of the locker itself (which is around $1000, more for the ARB with compressor and fittings) plus installation, and any wear parts (bearings, shims, seals etc) needed as well when it's installed into the rear axle. I don't know what configuration your truck is (engine, transmission, rear end) but you most likely have a 8.6" rear end which gives you the following options that I'm aware of:

- Eaton E-Locker
- ARB Air Locker
- Auburn Select-A-Loc (Used to be called ECTED) which is a combination E-locker and limited slip.

You can't really go wrong with any of these, although I haven't heard of too many people using the Auburn although having both a limited slip and selectable locker in a RWD application could be handy.

Good luck!

ratled

Adventurer
Thanks guys, the same thoughts I was having. 5.3 motor that is solid, 8.6" rear and yea I was thinking of the Easton. For about $1k for the kit and then all the supporting pieces and the "might as well since you are here" things.

It is always nice to be able to bounce ideas off of those in the know, thanks again

Porkchopexpress

I'm a fan of this setup. It's simpler than 4wd and possibly cheaper insurance. I have had two different trucks with RWD and a limited slip differential. It's like going from 1WD to 2WD and a 4X4 with no lockers or limited slip is effectively 2WD split between the front and back.

jadmt

ignore button user
I would do a locker vs lsd simply because it is nice to be in control of when it locks up. there are some situation where it is not desirable to be locked.

billiebob

(y)(y)

Thank you.
I love selectable lockers cuz once switched on they are locked, period.
I value them as much for traction descending steep loose trails as I do coming back up that same hill.
For me lockers are all about treading lightly.

2WD or 4WD,,,, I think the difference in 2WD will be even more dramatic.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I vote yes. A few years ago at work I responded to a call where a guy put his Jeep over a ditch in a snowstorm. Icy, cruddy roads and the guy thought that 4WD had made him immune from the laws of physics. :rolleyes: Along came a guy in a 2WD Nissan pickup truck and said he could yank the guy out and save him the tow bill. I expressed my doubt but the driver assured me he had a locker in his axle. The Jeeper accepted his help and 2 minutes later that 2WD pickup had him extricated with no issues. I was impressed, what a great illustration of the capability of a locker, first time I had seen one in use in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94