Thinking about dropping the hi-lift

craig333

Expedition Leader
Change a tire with a hi lift? Sure, why not? Crawl underneath with a high lift supporting the vehicle? Now thats a no no. Still you have weigh all the factors. Repair while supported with a hi lift or walk thirty miles through the desert for help.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
And Unlike The Bottle Jack and the Floor/Trolley Jack and The ARB Jack the Hi-Lift don't leak Oil every damn place
The Toyota mechanical 'bottle' jacks don't have any oil in them. They don't leak anything.
You can also use them sideways and upside down if you need to.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm using winch rope.
A Hi-lift is about 30-40lbs depending on which model you have. A short drum 6-9k winch with synthetic is about 40-50lbs.
I wouldn't say that is a night and day difference in weight.

Some of the new 'big' UTV winches are pushing 5500lb weight ratings and are only about 25lbs.

I've 'winched' quite a bit with a hi-lift in my younger days, I wouldn't wish that punishment on anyone.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
A Hi-lift is about 30-40lbs depending on which model you have. A short drum 6-9k winch with synthetic is about 40-50lbs.
I wouldn't say that is a night and day difference in weight.
I’m often alone and my vehicles do not have electric winches. Each vehicle does have its own bottle jack, and I add the Jackall if I foresee trial difficulty. I go back and forth on dropping it in favor of a winch, but in the end, the flexibility of bringing /not-bringing the jack is more appealing to always bringing the winch.

I too have ‘winched’ extensively with the jack, and while not as fast as a winch, I do actually enjoy the manual use and rigging.

takethetruck

To each their own... glad it worked for you.... "Its not the destination its the journey."

With the old, winch equipped Jeeps, I would normally winch something like that out of the way or just drive over it (does feel a bit tippy at times)... not really practical with most/many dedicated street/road vehicles though.

...sometimes you just gotta turn around and detour however;
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7072093/Enormous-boulder-size-house-falls-Colorado-highway.html

Enjoy!
We were northbound on 145 the morning after this happened, road crew wouldn't say what happened and didn't give and ETA (just said you probably shouldn't wait). Found a 32 mile round-about on forest service roads to get 1 mile further north on 145 to continue on. Then we saw the story on the news that afternoon.

Glad to find this thread - was wondering what to do with the Hi-lift after the GoFast Camper goes on, looks like we'll just be leaving it at the house. Factory mechanical Toyota bottle jack from '84 and block of wood has done the job for us when needed, never pulled the Hi-lift in the field only at home to get comfortably oriented with winching and operation so we'd know how if needed.

Definitely don't need the weight.

Thanks all for the insight!