Thinking about converting a Ford E350 Box Van to 4x4

NLPRacing

Observer
I've been lurking around this board for awhile and after much searching, I figured it was time to post my question. I want to take a box van similar to the one pictured below and convert it into what I would call a "Toad Hauler". I want to use it as a toy hauler when it's being "Toad" behind my motorhome and then use it as our vehicle to get around once we reach our destination. I'm not going to use it for hardcore wheeling, just for some mild trail riding. I may also end up using it as my daily driver (my commute to work is less than 8 miles round trip). I also want to use it at the campsite for overflow sleeping by converting the interior into an RV by installing some toy hauler type furniture that folds up against the wall. Anyway, has anybody ever done a 4x4 conversion on a cube van like this? How was you experience? Thanks for looking!

fetch_file

tommudd

Explorer
I don't have anything to add, but I have been looking at ones just like what you have pictured and planning/thinking of the pros and cons
So glad you posted this up and will be following closely!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I LOVE it!! I've been searching for a box van for some time now, waiting for the right donor to pop up. I've looked at a few in the last month, hope to find something by the end of the year for my next project.

NLPRacing

Observer
I like the idea.

Here's another thread with the same idea.

I was excited when I found that thread. But, I don't think he's converted his to 4wd yet. I'm hoping to find somebody that is currently using a box van as an RV and has converted it to 4wd.

I LOVE it!! I've been searching for a box van for some time now, waiting for the right donor to pop up. I've looked at a few in the last month, hope to find something by the end of the year for my next project.

I'm glad to hear that you like it. Are you searching for one for yourself? You never know, maybe I'll be your first box van customer.

URY914

Observer
If I were to make a wish list of what I would want in an Expo RV it would be:

-4 x 4

-Diesel Powered

-Walk thru cab to living area

I can't seem to find this combo in a van or a pickup cab configuration. I can get two out of three but not all three without a true custom build project.

A 4x4 box van would be a good place to start.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm glad to hear that you like it. Are you searching for one for yourself? You never know, maybe I'll be your first box van customer.

Yes & no.... I'll probably build it to sell. But, I definitely want to build one for myself! Bridge the gap in size between a SMB & ER.

And bring it! I'm ready for the build!

Meekerfam

Observer
looking for one my self... one around 93-96 with a 7.3l if i can find an older one with a non electronic 6.9 will do that..

love the idea and will be a blank canvas in side

loren85022

Explorer
I too want to someday build out a box van. I like the idea of the rear being like a toy-hauler. A ramp, but also a patio deck or even a canvas pop-out room. Nothing like backing up to a creek, or lake or scenic vista and having a million dollar view from your tailgate.

asset.php

Attachments

• Box Rearend.jpg
    Box Rearend.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 29

URY914

Observer
I like that idea^^^. Or remove the rollup door and build a 4' rear slide out. I know the spare tire and bikes and everything else would be in the way but where there is a will.....

A fold down back porch is smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94