Thinking about buying this tacoma - reasonable price?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Whooza I have never seen a 2020 vehicle starting with so much "the Bad"... and so much history already...hard pass on this one for sure.

The Bad:
***2nd owner, 1st owner could not afford it, yet installed a ton of stuff and well I was lucky and grabbed it.
***Front radar sensor for matching cruise control is not connected due to add-on armor/bumper - connect it and mount it, it works, not needed though, Toyota has a "regular" cruise control and it works fine
***Tire pressure sensors are not working due to non-compatible tires - Get compatible tires and it will work
That's it!
***Wench, light bar, fog lights still need to be wired

jaxyaks

Adventurer
You said you wanted to start overloading and buy a "built" vehicle, do you have an idea what type of overloading you are doing....a stock TRD Off Road will take you to a bunch of places without modifying anything at all. If your going rock crawling, your gonna want to build that yourself...if your not rock crawling. a stock rig with a winch and a little lift or better tires will take you to a bunch of places. I wouldn't buy any of those...the third one was the only one that was anywhere close to value etc, (value of mods start at 50% depreciation) so the list of mods totaled around 21K...the truck books at 31K at the very top of best condition so its close I guess. I would buy a new or unmolested used tacoma (if thats what your looking for) use it...and when you find you need to alter something for a trip planned...alter it. You will more than likely come out money ahead, and a better truck.... If you are financing any of those trucks I would get Gap insurance...

campertramper

I think that lots of owners of expensive vehicles, particularly those that are financed are looking to sell right now to lower their debt burden. If you can afford it, particularly if you can afford to pay cash I would say 'go for it!', after you negotiate the price down as much as possible. I think now is a terrible time to increase your debt burden. We are personally trying to save all of the 'emergency fund' money that we can in case of a future job loss. As much as I want expensive toys, I want to do everything that I can to minimize the chances of losing my home more...

rruff

Explorer
Why? Because that's not what I want to do. I'm not getting into this to work on a truck, I'm getting into this to get in a truck and go somewhere. And I'd like to do that as soon as possible.

All that aftermarket junk means you'll be working on it...

If you have that kind of money, by a new low-trim Tacoma. Go ahead and go wherever you want to go; have fun. Bring a good pump (or two), a good flat repair kit, and a tow rope. If you don't do crazy stuff, you'll be fine....

If I had a Tacoma I'd eventually want a tire upgrade, mild lift with good shocks, and a regear.

aaaslayer

I looked at that first truck.....lol what a blatant rip off! some cheap aftermarket parts on an inexpensive truck, with some cheap off brand tires and that deserves $51k??? You can get a new Power Wagon for that money or less if you get one a few years old with some miles. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more capable offroad with front rear lockers, disconnecting sway bar, solid axles. Rugged full size 2500 for that kind of money. To spend that much on a little under powered v6 small truck is NOT worth it. That's insane man. Build your own truck so you learn the ins and outs. Don't just buy something "built" already then when it breaks down on you, you have no idea what to even do with it. Especially God forbid it were to break down in the middle of nowhere on some trail. Play it smart, if you're getting into this "hobby" of overlanding, then learn it. Don't just jump into it because you have deep pockets and can buy a used $51k tacoma with some cheap mods that you think is "ready to go." Keep looking. Look at Power Wagons, Gladiators, you can get a much better capable truck for that kind of money or less, NEW.

roving1

Somewhere there is a maybe expensive but unmolested Taco owned by a retired couple looking to upsize or downsize. Go find that one. This one has way to much sketch for a 2020 vehicle.

hqdefault.jpg

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
this is one of those threads where the op doesn't really want your input
he has his mind made up, buy something cool and fix it later mentality.
he'll learn the hard way... oh well

note: no posts from op in over 30 hrs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I live in the Brentwood region err County its sorta the fringe region of the Bay Area 44k for a 2016 ??????????. LoL Go buy a new truck your getting the same thing only with no HS kid sloppy mods and a full warranty.

cbobgo

this is one of those threads where the op doesn't really want your input
he has his mind made up, buy something cool and fix it later mentality.
he'll learn the hard way... oh well

note: no posts from op in over 30 hrs.
You know, that's not even remotely true. If you read my subsequent posts you would see that I was appreciating people's input.

But not everyone here is looking for the exact same experience. I'm not interested in building my own rig, it's just not my thing. To say that only people who build their own truck from scratch can go overlanding is pretty restrictive.

maxbergi

I agree you dont have to do all the mods urself, would I buy that taco, absolutely not.

If u are not into building you own rig I would find a close to stock taco, buy the upgrades u want and take it to a reputable 4x4 shop that can install suspension etc.
Really these things are super capable stock, so all u really need is tent and go. Also Join some group rides in your area (Fb groups, meetup etc) and u quickly figure out what you really want and need.

If u do buy a vehicle already modified, don't pay too much over blue book value everyone knows that modding doesn't really increase value.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I'm not interested in building my own rig, it's just not my thing. To say that only people who build their own truck from scratch can go overlanding is pretty restrictive.

It's actually the opposite. You don't need a modified truck to go overlanding... a stock Tacoma will serve you just fine. Buy a new one for ~$35k and go at it.

If you *do* want some decent functional upgrades, then you go to the shop, give them your money, and have them install them.

cbobgo

So based on everyone's advice (and to appease the wife as well), I down-sized my budget. found a few more to consider

I was really liking this one till I got to the end of the add and it says it won't pass smog.

This one seems like a decent option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier