Thinking about buying this tacoma - reasonable price?

cbobgo

I'm new to overlanding and figured I would buy a rig that has already been built out rather than build one from scratch because of my limited experience with the various different types of equipment.

This one seems to tick all the boxes, though it's a little pricey. Hoping to go see it in person this weekend. Does the price seem reasonable?

- bob

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Wench still needs to be wired, hey?

I don't know but for me personally, if I feel a vehicle is too pricey it will always be nagging me in the back of my head.

That being said, I think it's a lot of money but it's all relative to the area etc....

buellconvert

I'd look elsewhere, that just doesn't seem like what I'd want to get into and especially for that much coin...look for something you can do yourself or one that doesn't have such a shady story, just my gut feeling.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

jmodz

At that price, I’d pass. The lift kit is just spacers upfront, and I’d assume a block in the rear, so not great there. Outside of the bumper and winch (which isn’t even fully installed), everything is just cosmetic and doesn’t really help you get into overlanding.
I’d buy this guys Tacoma without the Khaya camper if I were looking to spend 50k on a built truck.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I think it is too expensive, that truck can be had 38K or less new....so if there are 14K worth of mods there that you want, I guess it may be worth it to someone, I think if it were me I would buy a new one and spend the 14K exactly how I want it....He may have entered that into Carvana with the new tacoma craze and realized his Mods make the truck less valuable on the used market.

Smileyshaun

Observer
...... why ??? But it new off the showroom floor ,Keep the warranty, learn the rig by installing the parts yourself .

cbobgo

...... why ??? But it new off the showroom floor ,Keep the warranty, learn the rig by installing the parts yourself .
Why? Because that's not what I want to do. I'm not getting into this to work on a truck, I'm getting into this to get in a truck and go somewhere. And I'd like to do that as soon as possible.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Why? Because that's not what I want to do. I'm not getting into this to work on a truck, I'm getting into this to get in a truck and go somewhere. And I'd like to do that as soon as possible.

So what happens when something breaks in the backcountry ?What if the parts where installed incorrectly ? What happens when the warranty is up and the information system takes a crap or the trans or a axle ? Do you have the funds to replace it ?
People shouldn’t be depending on a vehicle to take them where there is no mechanic if they don’t know how to repair that vehicle or at the least jimmy rig it to get back to safety . It’s a free country and your free to do what you want but personally I avoid most any modded vehicle just because everybody has that friend who claims to be a “mechanic” but can screw up the simplest of installs creating a headache for someone else .

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Eh...I'd pass.

The way the ad is written throws some red flags for me. The only time someone does *** in a craigslist post is to make you excited about it and think it's special to make you want to buy it. Also, nobody starts with the bad...

What does this even mean??? "***Decided to spend $200 on an inspection to see if the Ford dealership story of the past owner was true. - It passed 100%. It was the highest level inspection Toyota had to offer. I will provide this official report to serious buyers " I cant stand the "i'll only show this special piece of paper to a serious buyer" type of seller...if it's pertinent to the safety and reliability of the truck, why not post it?

My personal thoughts- When someone tells you how much was spent on a truck they are selling, they know they're asking too much for it but they are trying to justify it and pay off the credit card they maxed out. Also, I don't see anything on there that really tells me this is better in an offroad situation. Sure, there a winch, big deal. He put on a cheap lift and some no name tires. Your IG will be cool with the sex appeal of lights, bumpers, roof racks and hashtags tho!

It will work for what you're wanting to do...but I think it's too expensive and honestly the whole situation seems weird to me and I have bought and sold many, many things on CL for the last 15 years.

Better idea- With the holiday weekend coming up you can get something discounted and for 0% APR, Put money into a good lift/wheel/tire combo, throw on some baja design lights and a roof rack if you desire to have the overlanding look and hit the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier