Thinking about buying another 2001-2006 ltd

jhill15

Explorer
Guys it's been years since I've been on here. Trying to clear some debt and selling my current frontier pro 4X
e3b1ae5b0943936e1d64cd5603d33fb2.jpg

and buying another Montero to pull my camper and carry my yaks. I'm looking at a 2005 with 150k on it, 2 owner. My last Montero
56959160c584d30180a2c7cca8b2e35c.jpg
was a 2003 that I bought from a salt belt state and it had some issue with rust and with the electrical system....so looking south this time...

The deal would be selling the truck, buying the Montero and paying off around $9k in credit card debt.

Has anything changed in the last few years with these? New discoveries etc. I know they are tanks, but I'm not up to speed on the current info of these. Lol and personal opinions are totally welcome as to whether or not this is a dumb decision.

Thanks everyone!!!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

CharlieNorth

A few of us, I have a Gen 3 but it is not my cup of tea, it is gen 2 for me. I do not know of anything that stands out about the 3.8 and 5 speed. But that just might be I have not studied them enough.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Welcome back! Do it. Being debt free, and having 3 Monteros is pretty nifty...or crazy depending on your point of view. (Ok, one is a Sport).

I bought a basket case '06 listed for parts. Two prior mechanics could not get it running. Broke the timing belt on the Interstate. I'm running it as my daily driver right now, until I finish my '02 Montero Limited's timing belt service. I use the '02 to tow my cargo conversion, 3,000lbs fully loaded, and it has been a great tow platform. I will likely consider a roof rail kit to carry our two kayaks when the kids don't come along. My trailer is setup to hold 4 boats, and sleep 6.

I've referred to and shared your stereo install post from way back when several times.

While the Gen 3 is not for everybody, it is my cup of tea, and a plate of cookies to boot. What it lacks in articulation it more than makes up for in comfort, luxury, and overall capability for 90% of the use it will get. It seems to love bounding down a washboard track, it swallows up potholes, and railroad crossings.

The monocoque chassis does transmit a bit of road noise, but it is the most solid feeling vehicle I've ever owned. The Limited with separate rear heat and A/C is really nice in foul weather.

I still don't do Facebook, but there is a small gathering of Monteros on gab social media.
20210809_113644.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Thank you guys, I think being debt free and having a solid vehicle is better than having a payment. I really loved my 3.5 gen it took us all over the place, even in the state that it was in. I will have to check out the Facebook group and see if they will let an old guy join. Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I still wander here. A lot have moved to FB. I've only owned Gen 3s. They are not as bulletproof as I would like, but nothing major has changed.

XLS vs LTD is only a concern for 01-02. I liked the cloth seats and transfer case lever, but the LTD is better overall.

03+ with the 3.8L engine and traction control is preferred. I recommend going up in tire size to the 265/70R17 or whatever is common to wranglers for better/cheaper options.
They still tend to seep oil at the valve covers like the 3.5L, and the timing belt change is a pain. If you change valve covers gaskets, Fel-Pro versions are known to have issues. Actually most Fel-Pro gaskets for this vehicle may or may not have fitment/sealing issues.

RockAuto carries most of the replacement parts you will need for maintenance.
PartSouq has been my current source for OEM parts like sensors and timing tensioner.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Doesn't seem like a great plan to me. These are getting old and are really hard to find properly maintained.

I would suggest selling the Frontier and buying an accord/civic or camry/corolla if your goal is to pay off your credit card. You can then likely resell the car for what you paid and save up and buy a Montero (or another vehicle) as a second. A set of Yakima racks and you can haul your kayaks. Use a tent and sell your camper while the market is up on them.

One major failure on a Montero will cost a big portion what you have in CC debit and could put you right back in the same hole.

PacS14

Adventurer
Buy a CR-V, RAV4, or Subaru (or reliable car of your choice), pay off debt, then eventually jump back into the Montero would be my goal. Specially since the market is crazy, unless you find a really good deal. Now if you already have a daily/beater (reliable) go for it.

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
I've had a hell of year with mine....but I still really enjoy it as a DD and tow vehicle. Check those CV axles ....man they're a ********** to find.

Hey, I've read your build threads a bunch - hope you can find a good deal on one.
As per above, most of gen3 action is in the Squad FB group and Pajero Drivers of Australia.

Had my 03 LTD for almost two years, it's been good but also taken a good chunk of cash to get baselined, few PM items and some improvements. Major annoying points are still the same

- butterfly valves in 3.8L coming loose - easily fixed with loctite if replacing valve cover gaskets. (OEM parts best)
- seized camber bolts - could be a huge pain, def check for that when buying a new one. South ones shouldn't have that as an issue but you never know.
- hydraulic brake booster pump/accumulator failing. Check if ever replaced, if not, and high mileage, best to bite the very expensive bullet on those
- fuel filler neck rusting out
- transmission vibration 2100-2400 rpm. Very common, often fixed with a few drain/fills, x-member bushings, or transmission mount. I still have that issue, will replace the mount next, as the rest has been done.

Gen3 is a great dual purpose unit, but wouldn't be my first choice if you're looking to fit giant tires and climb rocks every weekend. It's a very comfortable tourer with a ton of capability stock.
Just gotta know it's purpose and use it accordingly, those are my 2c.

Welcome back! Do it. Being debt free, and having 3 Monteros is pretty nifty...or crazy depending on your point of view. (Ok, one is a Sport).

I bought a basket case '06 listed for parts. Two prior mechanics could not get it running. Broke the timing belt on the Interstate. I'm running it as my daily driver right now, until I finish my '02 Montero Limited's timing belt service. I use the '02 to tow my cargo conversion, 3,000lbs fully loaded, and it has been a great tow platform. I will likely consider a roof rail kit to carry our two kayaks when the kids don't come along. My trailer is setup to hold 4 boats, and sleep 6.

I've referred to and shared your stereo install post from way back when several times.

While the Gen 3 is not for everybody, it is my cup of tea, and a plate of cookies to boot. What it lacks in articulation it more than makes up for in comfort, luxury, and overall capability for 90% of the use it will get. It seems to love bounding down a washboard track, it swallows up potholes, and railroad crossings.

The monocoque chassis does transmit a bit of road noise, but it is the most solid feeling vehicle I've ever owned. The Limited with separate rear heat and A/C is really nice in foul weather.

I still don't do Facebook, but there is a small gathering of Monteros on gab social media.
View attachment 686657

You got spacers on these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles