Thinking About an LR3

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have owned my 07 LR3 HSE for about 3 years now and am mildly surprised at its capabilities that sometimes surpass my skills at maneuvering it through many trails and obstacles. I was recently on a trail that often seemed to vanish and become just granite cap rock. It performed very well, even after climbing sand and loose rock inclines.
I was amazed it did so well after knowing how much it weighed. I stopped at a weigh station before entering Utah and asked if they would charge me to weigh the vehicle, no charge. The LR weighed in at, considering all the gear I was carrying for a week excursion, a whopping 7820 pounds. I was visibly shocked. Almost 4 tons. It performs so well at that weight that I am sure that it would almost compare to my 404S UniMog, except for the undercarriage clearance.
I am impressed. Do you know the weight of your vehicle?

DCH109

Adventurer
We recently moved to northern Nevada and my wife decided she wanted a Jeep Wrangler. After driving a couple she decided they were too noisy, too rough and too primitive. Based on that I think an LR3 might be what we want/need.

It would not be a daily driver, in fact it would be our fourth vehicle. We would use it primarily for back-county day trips and as a back up vehicle during the winter when there is snow on the roads. I'm a fairly good mechanic and do most of my own maintenance, not afraid to get my hands dirty.

So, a few questions:

Is the LR3 as capable off-road as a Wrangler?

Can I get one in reasonable condition for under $10K?

What should I look for and/or look out for when shopping for one?

Any years, models or features to avoid?

Thanks!

So I wrote a huge whole thing on my adventure on buying my second LR3. I deleted it and will answer your questions.

Is the LR3 as capable off-road as a Wrangler?
Yes and no. Yes it as and more capable as a stock to mildly lifted Wrangler. To one on 35" or 37"+ tires, jacked up and designed for rock crawling, or heavy offroad. No. Posers driving around on the same tires (35" or 37"+)....yep since most of these guy are about looks and have zero idea what to do once off the pavement or in the snow.

Can I get one in reasonable condition for under $10K?
I bought mine from the 2nd owner. 1st owner had it for 28K and sold it. 2nd Owner drove it to 158K and now I own it. The PO had done all the mechanical work, even the transmission oil and filter change. It has been well maintained and knowing the Jag 4.4l it will last well into 200K with maintenance. I bought this 2007 LR3 for under 6K. So yes.

What should I look for and/or look out for when shopping for one?
Maintenance. Like any modern vehicle maintenance is key. Other than that, some will say the HD package, but really you can get a selectable locker from ARB and have more control. I had the HD in my 2005 and I would have preferred to enable it when I wanted. There were times it would go on, and time I felt it should have gone on but did not.
Other than that, features you may want. Nav, heated seats, fancy wood dash, the useless cooler box in the center console. Who knows.
My current 2007 does not have the HD package but Nav, cold weather package and now a full size spare (picked a rim up off ebay)
If it is over 100K see if the trans filter was done, if not then it is something you should deal with asap.

Any years, models or features to avoid?
2005 hands down. it is a crap shoot on if that year will be good or not. I was lucky mine was good, other had not been so lucky. Mainly with the rear diff and the lower control arms.
The HD package is over rated now. Back when these came out it was the only way to get a locker. Now ARB makes one and there is a vendor that will build out the diff with the arb installed so all you have to do it put it in your Rover and take care of the air hookup.

One thing that may freak the hell out of you is if the battery is low. The vehicle will drop to the bump stops and just about every warning light on the dash will come one. Change the battery and you are set.

Years to get, I would say 2007 on.

Some great features of the LR3.
The ride is like nothing else. Outside of my 1968 Caddy, it is easly the best riding vehicle I have owned.
you can install a 2nd battery. There is a spare to install a second battery and the hold down is cheap. You just need to wire it up and use a good kit to monitor it, isolate it etc.
The cargo space is great. the 2nd row fold flat to the 3rd so give you tons of room. Removing the 3rd row give you about 3 inches down for storage.
You can get a hidden winch mount (easy to install) if you do not want to go with the full on bumper.

Some not so great things
The drivers seat has a tendency to split at the side panel. It can be fixed but still.
The air suspension may leak (can be fixed and new parts are not to bad in price) You could go coil conversion, but why.
The coolant bleed valve fitting is made from what seems to be biodegradable plastic (kidding it is just crap though), update to a metal bleed valve.
The sunroof may leak, the drain tubes need to be cleared. In all of my years of having vehicles with sun roofs, this is the only vehicle that leaks.

Aside from that, anything else is common issues that could and would arise with other vehicles.

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
I stopped at a weigh station before entering Utah and asked if they would charge me to weigh the vehicle, no charge. The LR weighed in at, considering all the gear I was carrying for a week excursion, a whopping 7820 pounds. I was visibly shocked. Almost 4 tons.
Not surprising the curb weight alone is almost 5800 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles