Thinking about a Sequoia

etownnc

I've been in the market for a larger vehicle that is capeable of getting off the beaten path but is also somewhere practical for long distance road trips, hauling catering gear for my business, and for sleeping in the back of for quick jaunts to the mountains.

I've played with the idea of a van (but not sure I want something THAT big), a Tundra of F150 extended cab w/ High-Top camper shell, or a Sequoia. I currently have an 86 4runner which is great for getting rowdy and short distances, but no fun once you've got to be on the highway for any extended period of time. I also have a 1993 F250 IDI that's been a beater, but still runs well and has relatively low mileage for that engine (190k). After more thinking I started to realize that if I replaced the F250 with a newer more comfortable truck, I would probably miss the ability to throw stuff in the back that's dirty, wet, whatever.

So I've most recently been looking at 1st Gen Sequoias with ~100k or less. With the back seats removed they seem like a good middle ground for storage space and the ability to sleep in if needed. I don't plan on doing heavy off-roading but would like it to be capable of getting off road and not getting stuck if I've got to deliver food/gear off pavement.

What are peoples opinions on these vehicles? I've found a few that are southern and don't seem to have any rust issues, and found one in VA that looked pretty clean from the pictures, and is also getting the recall treatment right now. Am I still risking a can of worms - or if things look good, can I be confident that it will last without problems?

Any opinions or advice are welcome. I haven't had a "comfortable" vehicle with AC or any modern conveniences in years.

GTV

I’ve had my Tundra for nearly 14 years now and just 4 months ago picked up a 05 Sequoia with 256k (now 259k) for $3750. I really like it. They have to be the best value for money when it comes to Toyota 4x4’s.
Don’t worry too much about mileage if it has a good service history. Toyota’s are hard to kill.

Reactions: bkg

GTV

Apparently 01-02 had transmission issues. Other than that they're all the same in that respect. '05+ has more power and a 5 speed trans which does make a noticeable difference in drivability so that's what I chose. Limited models come standard with AHC (optional on SR5) on the rear axle which can be problematic so a lot of those guys switch over to standard coils. I made sure my SR5 didn't have it. Simple.

etownnc

Any thoughts on 2006-2007 Sequioa w/ ~100k vs 2000-2006 LCs with 135-150k? Again I'm not going to be doing serious off-roading, so more of question about build quality/reliability than capability.

GTV

The LC is the top of the line flagship Toyota. The drivetrain is similar and they’re both SUV’s but beyond that you can’t really compare the two. The LC is far superior in every way. A properly maintained Sequoia will easily go over 400k miles and is still very good off-road, good enough for my needs at least. All else being equal you’ll spend about 3x as much on a LC than a Sequoia, that wasn’t worth it to me.

I put 140 miles on mine today. Mixture of interstate driving, single lane hard top, and forest service roads. Turned over 187k on the way home. If you find a clean one and take care of the pm ( timing belt and lower ball joints are the big ones), it should serve you a very long time.

bkg

Explorer
Had a 2007 limited with air ride rear and 4 captains chairs for a while. I really liked it. only sold it because I found myself needing a pickup - went back to an 06 Tundra.

IMHO, if the option presents itself, and 05-07 would be my pick. The extra go and 5-speed transmission is nice. And... I’ll admit... I prefer the grill and center console on the later units.

etownnc

I have found a few 2006 and 2007 Sequoia SR5 (which I think is my preference as I dont really want Nav or leather) in the 10k range with 100-120k and clean carfax with good maintenance records. Is there any reason to go for a limited otherwise?

Also, how much larger is the usable cargo space i the Sequoia vs an LC or LX ? My plan would be to remove the 3rd row seats and keep the second row folded forward except when I had non-dog passengers.

Last edited:

mulze22

etownnc

Question - do you think a 2006 Sequoia that's had the frame replaced under warranty is a good candidate (vs vehicles that have been coated or were in low-rust states)? Vehicle was in MA and has about 100k miles on it.

XJLI

Adventurer
Question - do you think a 2006 Sequoia that's had the frame replaced under warranty is a good candidate (vs vehicles that have been coated or were in low-rust states)? Vehicle was in MA and has about 100k miles on it.

Thats the best scenario IMO. Get it and have it fluid flim'd or coated every couple years.

etownnc

Thanks again for all the replies. Seems like there are fewer 2005-2007 SR5s than LTDs. Is the only major mechanical difference the airbag option in the rear on the LTD? Was leaning toward an SR5 just for cloth seats vs leather, are there any other differences to consider?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles