Thinking about a Power Wagon

CodyB

Observer
I currently have a 2009 double cab long bed Tacoma that has been and still is a good truck. I only have about 45K on the truck in the last three years. My problem with the truck is that it is just a little too small for me to haul all my gear on hunting and fishing trips. I drive a 2002 F250 all across mountains of northern NV so having a full size truck on our roads is not a problem at all for me. Ideally, I would like to keep the Tacoma and have the Power Wagon as a second vehicle for trips when I need the extra space offered by the full sized vehicle. My question for you guys who are experienced with the Power Wagons is what years should I be looking at? Are there certain years I should try to avoid? I will probably be looking at used Power Wagons since I would have to sell the Tacoma to afford a new one which is also an option.

jcbrandon

Explorer
You've pretty much got two choices: The current version, or the earlier version. The Power Wagon was reintroduced in 2005 and stayed the same until the current version came out in the 2010 model year.

The 2010 to current is a bit longer and the rear doors are bigger. On the 2005-2009 version the grill is attached to the hood and rises up with it like an old Mercedes sedan.

The running gear is the same in both trucks. The current hemi engine is rated at more horsepower than the earlier version.

Since the current version is slightly longer it should, theoretically, be slightly less capable off the pavement. The differences would be slight, in my opinion. Especially since you are used to driving a full-size truck in the backcountry.

I think your decision will come down to price and availability. If you really need a truck with a bigger rear seat, that would put you in the newer truck. If you buy an older model you'll probably be more likely to be able to keep your Toyota.

Whereabouts are you in Northern Nevada?

Last edited:

jasonL_031

Adventurer
the best truck i have owned so far was my 07 power wagon i really regret getting rid of it.......... the only thing i didnt like was the size of the quad cab i wished it was bigger with more rear leg room. i cant really comment on the new model power wagons ive heard that there is really no difference in ground clearance and approch and departure angles and both will be able to fit 35s stock.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I just sold my '07 w/ only 21k on it- probably one of my all time favorite vehicles!! Why sell then?? I have an '11 F250 w/ 400hp and 800# torque, fitted 37s and getting 21 mpg at 65 on a regular basis, and even get mid teens towing 10k#. The PW is just plain thirsty... like 10mpg typical and as low as 6 towing. I tried for a year to rationalize keeping it, but in the end, sold it, kept the Ford, and got a JK.
Check with Hilldweller on here, as he is contemplating selling his...

see my build here for issues needing addressed: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62790-07-Power-Wagon-w-Ute-bed-extras-warranty

Last edited:

SupaRice

I LOVE my Power Wagon... as far as which year to get... I went with a 2006 because it was when they changed the look of the truck. Also the navigation with the premium sound system, if so equipped, was new and way better than before.

There really isn't anything else out there that will take you as far as a Power Wagon.... Period. (stock for stock) Put some 35's on it, and you're good to go. You could get a "regular 2500", but then you'll be adding a ton of parts. The PW comes with everything out of the gate, winch, skidplates, 4:56 gears, lockers, sway bar disconnect, yada yada... aka... DONE

Here's a little PW pr0n to help influence you! ;)

img_1637.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
"thirsty... like 10mpg typical and as low as 6 towing."

Ouch... Everytime I see the white one with the Four Wheel Camper I tell myself how cool they are.

I agree with the above statement about making your own. You should even be able to get the winch cradle from Dodge.

jcbrandon

Explorer
...get any nice Dodge 2500 and add the lift and lockers of your choice...

Possibly. After putting more than 65,000 miles on my '07, I think one of its best features is the cab-operated front sway bar disconnect. It doesn't sound like much compared to the lockers, and the winch, and all the other Power Wagon goodness. But once on the trail it makes a huge difference in how the truck handles the terrain. Think about it: you've got 32 inches of front suspension travel, in a vehicle that weighs over 7,000 pounds. That means all four tires planted solidly on just about anything your sphincter can tolerate. It's a huge advantage and not something you could easily add yourself.

Modifying a Ram 2500 is an option, certainly. But I would recommend driving a Power Wagon on the trail before you make that decision.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
it is amazing to see a 37" tire droop almost it's entire diameter.... and the '07 get the 'jewel' headlights ;-)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm getting over 12 mpg around town and 10-11 towing. 4-low is where it sucks fuel but that's to be expected.
Premium audio, 30G worth of hard-drive storage, backup camera and alarms, VERY smooth ride, spacious...

It's a keeper for now.

217.jpg

SupaRice

I've not had it as bad on fuel as others for some reason, maybe I'm just slower in my driving. I average 14 on the highway (65-70), and around town I seem to get 10-12. There are a number of modifications that add MPG and are nice for other reasons, I plan to do most of them:

Air Snorkel is reported to return 1mpg hwy - and if your a serious back country fiend then you'll want that anyway $500
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338250

DynaTrac free spin kit up front reported to give 2mpg hwy and .5-1 mpg city. It's pricey, but it makes your front end components last longer and makes for a stronger front end - $2,000
http://www.dynatrac.com/products/freespin-dodge/freespin-dodge.html

Electric fan, supposedly can give .5 hwy a bit more power, and other obvious advantages - $250

Then if you are towing a lot, and/or on the highway for long distances there is an overdrive gearbox that attaches to the back of the trans for 2wd high. Basically splits every gear and reportedly give 2-3 mpg hwy. Popular with the diesel towing crowd, and reportedly very reliable but pricey -$4,000 - $5,000
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342774

**Updated with links**

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
BTW, there have been constant improvements to the PW through the years. My 2011 has about 15% more torque and HP than a G3, is more efficient with VVT, and has better headlights. Snazzier interior as well.
The 2012 will have a new transmission that's supposed to be a big improvement. A real 6 speed rather than the 5.5 speed.

SupaRice

I agree about the G3 not having as much power, I think that my truck (2006) is underpowered for anything outside of 4Lo work or just general driving. It'll pull a house down, but it'll complain the whole time and drink the middle east dry doing it. Most I've ever pulled was a 5,000lb boat, the truck pulled it fine but you knew it was there too.

If you want a back country punisher with room for all your gear and a few friends though, there's no replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles