They make a trailer w/ dirt bike mod?

slepe67

I own a Toyota FJ, and dont do a lot of true hardcore off-roading. When I do, its not really too bad. That is what my baja prepped Honda XR600R is for. I am planning a trip to go home to Montana this summer, and show the state off to my city slicker wife, who grew up on Lawn Guyland (Long Island). I like the military style trailers, but, I havent seen anyone tow one with provisions to haul a 300 lb. dirt bike somewhere on it. I see how people put Jery cans up near the tongue, any way I could put the bike there? I think tongue weight/CG would be an issue. What are your thoughts. I also thought of getting a regular military trailer, putting tool boxes on the sides, which would be flush with sides of trailer "bed", with enough room in the middle for my bike to fit. Take out the bike and I could have a sheet that lies flat overthe tool boxes, like a floor. Set up the tent. I dunno. Let me know what you think. Out of ideas. JL

slepe67

I looked at them, but I was wanting the trailer AND the bike. Not sure if it is going to be possible. I'll keep trying, thanks JL

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
What is the main purpose of the trailer? To move the bike, or to carry other gear + the bike 100% of the time? To carry other gear + the bike 50% of the time?

Military trailers are heavy. They will hold up to a ton of (ab)use, but at the cost of lugging the heavy SOB around.

With any trailer, you want the load centered above the axle (more or less). Putting a bike up on the tounge will require alot of weight behind the axle(s) in order to keep the tongue weight appropriate for good handling. Generally a couple hundred pounds of force at the ball is all you want.

Any trailer can be modified to hold a bike....some require more modification than others. Personally, I am looking at a 4 x 8 utility trailer to put behind the jeep. Big enough to bring home a full sheet of plywood, long enough to carry the bike, light enough to not kill the jeep.....it does nothing "great", but it does everything "OK". Not a off road trailer....but a "life" trailer, now that I don't own a full size pickup for the first time in 13 years.

slepe67

I'm working on a drawing right now. I'll post it later for the masses to tear apart to make better. I plan to use it to tow the bike on most "adventures", but still want the option to use it as a trailer. Right now, it looks like diamond plate tool boxes and square tubing are the way to go.

slepe67

see if this works. I may need to have somebody tell me how to make it larger.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/slepe67/adventuretrailer.jpg

The sides and floor are polished aluminum (maybe black ???) diamond plate, as are the two tool boxes on the sides. On the front, are provisions for LP (propane) and H20, as well as a diamond plate nose box. I was thinking of having a swinging, lockable door. Then, finally, the top (tent floor) is also removable diamond plate, which the bike would be standing on. That little think aft of the trailer is a removable, bolt on extension for the 6 foot long bikes rear tire. Now, anyone know what I can use for the actual trailer itself. I was thinking jet ski aluminum trailer???

18seeds

Explorer
Something like this may work
http://denver.craigslist.org/car/208511145.html

FrEqD4djmoWeOyx3JaizRrB1h5td.jpg

Just mount some tool boxes on the side and mount the bike on the tongue. just be carful of your tongue weight.

It will be pretty heavy overall.

Gonzzo

Observer
If i may toss in my $.02...

What about a bike carrier made for a tow hitch, i know it was mentioned earlyer but hear me out.

Any of the available trailers out there can have a 2" hitch attached to them either at the front or the rear. The tounge weight can be adjusted by adding either dead ballast at the opposite end or in a camping situation, the addition of added camping gear(you know you NEED that keg)at the opposite end.

The best thing of having a hitch mounted bike carrier is the option to LEAVE the trailer at home, just throw the bike on the back of the FJ(This would require the hitch on the FJ to be atleast a 2" hitch)and you are off.

Need to haul something but aint taking the bike, fine, leave the bike and carrier home, take just the trailer. Presto.

Does your "city slicker wife" have a bike?, if she does(or is planning on getting one)cool, add annother hitch and bike carrier at the opposite end of the trailer, now you have evenly distributed weight and 2 bikes and a trailer that you can still put stuff in.

O.K., this one is far fetched but fly with me for a sec. You have a bike, wife has a bike, You and the wife feel like a quick ride on said bikes, you have a FJ, FJ has rear AND front 2" hitch, can you see where im going with this...:victory:

Back to the trailer thing, the added weight of a front or rear hitch + bike carrier(or 2, see above:D )and 1 or 2 bikes can be handled by most medium duty trailers, get a mil. spec. trailer and (can you say 2 more carriers for the sides :xxrotflma )the sky is the limit.

Anyhow, just a thought.

Gonzzo.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Here's a set up run by one of our friends. He uses some air bags on his Taco to manage the increased weight and tongue height.

Attachments

• MotoHitch.jpg
    MotoHitch.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 154
I have your answer

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/photo.gallery.php?id=117
http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3#
http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=6&sn=Scorpion#

I have the same problem Im an avid dirt biker (2004 KTM 450 EXC) plus wifes XR 80 and new baby on the way - will need a XR 50 - and right now Im tenting it. I used to have a travel trailer and a 2004 Dodge 2500 HD Longbed. Sold bolth and bough my 2000 Land Cruiser and will be buying one of these soon.

slepe67

elcoyote said:
Here's a set up run by one of our friends. He uses some air bags on his Taco to manage the increased weight and tongue height.
That is so awesome! Exactly what I need. Best of both worlds. Got a link for the adapter? How much added tongue weight is it? The weight of the bike? I have an FJCruzr. Will overload springs affect its handling as far as on/off roading?

coloradocarlisle, I udes to have one of them. I loved it. I am just looking at hauling my bike along with other gear that wont fit in the pop up. Unless they/ve changed. I'll look more into them Thx again fellas. JL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles