Thermal Imagery, a little something different

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Guys and gals,

Last year I purchased a Pulsar Axiom 4x Thermal Imagery device as a way to maintain some property at night and to also look for critters while camping. It a really neat device and it's super small.

Here is a short video I was making as a demo for a buddy of mine. I'm just in the hallway of my house. I've taken it out on several trips but never think to use the recording option. So far, I have seen people and deer at aroubt 425 yards with it. It has several different settings to allow IDing easier.

Short review:
Pros: I'm the Predator, Bounty Hunter, and Mandalorian. Come at me bro.
Cons: Inital power is 4x, which is kind of close when looking around a normal yard. Would rather have a base magnification at 2x or less. Pricy. This unit is $2000 (yes, that hurt). The app, which I did not buy it for the app, sucks. Way too buggy.

Pic of the unit:
IMG_3352.JPG

There is sound, but I think I screwed that up.

Last edited:
Story to go with infrared camera uses. The company I work for has a contract with a company to do infrared video survey all of ur electrical switch gear and electrical panels. One year they caught the guy appearing to be also videoing the women working in the plant. When confronted about it, he was also surveying the women so he could tell which ones were on their period. Needless to say we found a new company.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Story to go with infrared camera uses. The company I work for has a contract with a company to do infrared video survey all of ur electrical switch gear and electrical panels. One year they caught the guy appearing to be also videoing the women working in the plant. When confronted about it, he was also surveying the women so he could tell which ones were on their period. Needless to say we found a new company.

I guess he gets points for honesty, but ****** did he think it was going to sound like coming out of his mouth?? Creepy...

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Heh, I bought a cheap thermal camera to help track down insulation problems on my new/old house and naturally the wife and I had fun pointing the camera at each other and at everything electrical in the house and at trees and basically anything else that would respond to it. I guess someone really desperate to be creepy could creep on strangers with one, kinda more sad than anything if that's what it takes for them.

Anyway unrelated to that topic in particular, the one I got is pretty cheesy and has no way of recording anything. Totally suitable for walking around the house and seeing what needs improvement, and maybe seeing hidden rodent or insect nests or other unexplained heat sources but I don't get to use it for any creative photography/videography :( Kinda wish I had spent a little more for that.
Which one do you have? I did not buy this one because of the video. I kind of thought of that as a bonus. I was specifically looking for range ID.

Wife story too: Wife knew I had been eyeballing a thermal for a few years and so when I finally said I was ready, she just kind of rolled her eyes. Having used them in the Marines way back in the 90s, when they were still very expensive and big, I told her this was the only thing that truly scared the hell out of me. So when we got the unit, I used it for about 30 minutes to get all the settings done and handed it offer to her and she said, "wow". It really is a very neat device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles