Thermal blankets for fridges?

I'm using a Norcold NRF-30 fridge in my 60-series landcruiser. Even though I've tinted the windows and often use curtains, if a direct sunlight lands on the fridge it will start to cook.

I'm thinking some sort of reflective insulation would make sense, sort of like Engel sells:
http://www.roadtrucker.com/engel/engel-12-volt-fridge-freezer-accessories.htm

I don't think anyone makes something cut to fit an NRF-30. Has anyone tried to make / improvise / repurpose something to protect their fridge from direct sunlight?

Yudda

Adventurer
Look up Reflectix insulation....it looks like the car shade material but it is tried and tested...super efficient stuff.
Ultralight backpack packers use it for cooking.

I use it for backpacking as well but to give you an example, I wrapped a Gatorade bottle with some....fill with cold water and it stays cold for hours. In fact it works better than a the 1 qt coleman water cooler I bought.

Home depot and lowes sells it. Not expensive.

Also there was a website/company called offroadtrailtools... The website is gone, but they made cooler covers with Reflectix.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ls+cooler+insulation&spell=1&biw=1024&bih=644

I wonder what happened to them they made several things I wanted but never got around to ordering.

Hope it helps.

Good stuff - I'll look into that. As long as it's construction allows it to be cut and taped to shape and still be durable then it could work.

I have some mylar sheeting that is reflective but has no insulation.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That's what Reflectix is... essentially 2 layers of mylar that sandwich bubble wrap, is the simplest description. Easily cut and secured with tape. I insulated the floor of my truck with it, under the carpet.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I wonder what happened to (Offroad Trail Tools) they made several things I wanted but never got around to ordering.

Tat Marcy, the owner of ORTT is selling the business and I think they are transferring the reins to a new owner now. I hope! Tat offered some unique and high quality stuff.

mbuckner

Adventurer
I use a pleated moving blanket that worked great ... just laid it over fridge where the sun would not hit it ...

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
i have a manufactured cover for my fridge, but i use reflectix on my rigs, inside door and quarter panels and on floors. it cheap and easy. cuts with scissors. got mine at home depot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier