ThermaCell

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Have been using the same one for almost five years. Just have to clean the oil residue off it once in awhile but other than that it's never failed up start or burn. Not sure about the 15' radius thing but I'd say it's a good 6-10' which is better than nothing when you summer camp in the south.

VTlandrover

Adventurer
we have one, works great we used to get bitten all the time ,since buying one ,not one bite. the only suggestion i have is to leave it at ground level!

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
We just spent a few days in the San Juans at a lake at 8500 ft. The Thermacell backpacker worked great at the campsite and kept those pesky mosquitoes away.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
This seems like it would be one of those "Too good to be true" "As Seen On TV" kind or products. Cool to hear so many positive reviews.

I might have to get one for Early summer camping in So.Utah. The Juniper Gnats seems to be pretty impervious to normal repellents like DEET so it might be worth a try.

Zeep

Adventurer
Been using a couple of these for about 2 years now. I am very impressed. I've done the hacks for fuel found on YouTube, with good results.
Just purchased the backpacker model, but have yet to try it. Also have a Chinese one that plugs into a wall outlet, came with the knock off pads.
Seems to work just as well. I carry one every time I spend time outdoors. Only drawback seems to be when windy, but usually don't get bit in those conditions any way!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Last weekend we were camping just below 9000ft, my in-laws had 2 of the regular ThermaCell units and I brought our trusty bug zapper plugged into the generator, I was the only one to not get a single bite over 3 days up there. I may look into the backpacker version to try out though.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Which is more cost effective? The portable thermacell or backpacker?

Any way to use propane with the backpacker with adapters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Which is more cost effective? The portable thermacell or backpacker?

Any way to use propane with the backpacker with adapters?

I ran the Backpacker on a small 4oz isobutane/propane canister for at least 12 hours and it still had some fuel. I've seen some how-to YouTubes on refiling the butane cartridges used with the portable Thermacells - not for me. I haven't seen any adapters for using propane. I think Thermacell uses the IsoPro and butane because of the portability of the fuel.

IMG_3711-M.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I ran the Backpacker on a small 4oz isobutane/propane canister for at least 12 hours and it still had some fuel. I've seen some how-to YouTubes on refiling the butane cartridges used with the portable Thermacells - not for me. I haven't seen any adapters for using propane. I think Thermacell uses the IsoPro and butane because of the portability of the fuel.

IMG_3711-M.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Mainly looking for campsite protection and seems like the backpacker might cover a larger area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerskier

Observer
the thermacell backpacker has been a great addition to my camping gear. I also bought some cheap mats off ebay that seem to work good if you can get over the "old lady" perfume smell. The only problem I had is I couldn't get it to light over 7500ft. Some have said they haven't had a problem with altitude but the owners manual does state not recommended over 7000ft. IMG_6657.jpg

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Thanks for the feedback. Mainly looking for campsite protection and seems like the backpacker might cover a larger area?

All the units advertise a "15 x 15-foot zone of protection for bug-free comfort". They all use the same size pads but different fuel options. My experience was a little smaller zone at 8500 ft with a light breeze. Initially we had a hard time getting the new unit it to light, but after several attempts it worked fine and then lit every time. It was probably lighting for us from the start but we couldn't tell. Takes about 10 min get the pad warm and emit the repellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles