theft control

XXXpedition

Explorer
on my xj i had a switch on the fuel pump and such goodies...

on the jk (crd) that is not (supposedly) possible anymore. the dealer said the computer would read an error message anytime the engine is started...

too much electronic.

what other (hidden) theft devices can you think of?

kjp1969

Explorer
I like the idea of switching something that doesn't have to do with the ignition, because if something fries out when you're driving, it won't cause a loss of control. The clutch interlock comes to mind, or with an autobox, the shift interlock.

But best of all is probably a big old chain and padlock from the roll bar or brake pedal to the steering wheel. Or an alarm with a blinking light. Its all about deterrence- you don't really want someone smashing up your ignition lock only to find out they can't shift out of park.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Any sort of electronic injector needs a ground. Interrupt that grounding and nothing runs. Friend of mine had his set up on a relay. The switch that controlled the relay turned on a blinking "alarm" LED when the relay was off. That served as a reminder to him that he'd turned off the injectors and passed as an alarm indicator light.

Hella makes a nice battery switch with a key. The key is simple, but unless the thief is aware of them they'll have to tow it. If you do opt for the switch, consider putting it on the ground cable side. By-pass it with a fused wire. That way all of the power dependent memory items stay alive. If someone tries to crank the truck with the switch off the fuse will pop.

Brett M

Adventurer
kjp1969 said:
But best of all is probably a big old chain and padlock from the roll bar or brake pedal to the steering wheel. Or an alarm with a blinking light. Its all about deterrence- you don't really want someone smashing up your ignition lock only to find out they can't shift out of park.

This didn't work for me the other night. I've got a Viper alarm with an extremely bright blue LED flashing and they still went after it. Thankfully, another guy in my complex saw them and start yelling at them and what not. He even called the police (they left me there business card, which I found in the morning.)

So, now, I have my CPS on a switch, so the Jeep can't start. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior