The world is on fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pith helmet

I was trying to raise some awareness about the wildfire problem and how it is spreading to new areas.

I agree somewhat with this post except for climate change = how they raise their children?

As climate change does affect all of these things, however, the subject is about the spread of wildfire and not an open invitation for the denial crew to steam in and skew the thread into other politically charged directions.

I don’t agree with the approach others have taken here, but as you made no objection to a long post defending a certain position, I don’t think you really believe this is a neutral subject.

There are not just two camps, climate warriors vs deniers, it’s far more nuanced. I am not a denier, and I don’t take seriously anyone who is. To my mind, the debate we can have is around cause and response.

When people bring up issues around a politically volatile subject and don’t get the response they like and say ‘it’s not political, why are you so fragile?’, that hits some people the wrong way because it’s an intellectually dishonest position.

How they raise their children: when the cultural narrative (which drives politics) becomes so that children get indoctrination with political rhetoric around ‘climate justice’ issues from media and school systems, thinking and concerned parents are put in position to have to counter the brainwashing.

Re: Wildfires- Wildfires can be better mitigated with better forestry practices and vegetation control. Also, people may not be able to live in places that are the most susceptible to that, whether historically or newly so. If they do, there is risk they will have to assume.
Again, though, we are talking about people’s lives so, here’s politics.

Last edited:

jeepgc

Adventurer
I don’t agree with the approach others have taken here, but as you made no objection to a long post defending a certain position, I don’t think you really believe this is a neutral subject.

There are not just two camps, climate warriors vs deniers, it’s far more nuanced. I am not a denier, and I don’t take seriously anyone who is. To my mind, the debate we can have is around cause and response.

When people bring up issues around a politically volatile subject and don’t get the response they like and say ‘it’s not political, why are you so fragile?’, that hits some people the wrong way because it’s an intellectually dishonest position.

How they raise their children: when the cultural narrative (which drives politics) becomes so that children get indoctrination with political rhetoric around ‘climate justice’ issues from media and school systems, thinking and concerned parents are put in position to have to counter the brainwashing.

Re: Wildfires- Wildfires can be better mitigated with better forestry practices and vegetation control. Also, people may not be able to live in places that are the most susceptible to that, whether historically or newly so. If they do, there is risk they will have to assume.
Again, though, we are talking about people’s lives so, here’s politics.

Good post Pith helmet, well yes, I didn't comment about "that" post as I agree with a lot of it., but it didn't just write off this thread due to the source of the news item.

But I suppose in balance, it was probably as "bad" as others, as it didn't focus on the subject in hand either.

jeepgc

Adventurer
@pith helmet, naively, I actually didn't think that the subject of wildfires was such a politically charged subject matter.

I am UK based, we've started to have some small wildfires here, but no-one has used them as political football, if that it what is happening in the USA - obviously a much bigger issue stateside.

So, apologies as it looks I have stepped on some toes, that was not my intention at all.

I better do more reading about it.

pith helmet

@jeepgc
Thank you. I respect that clarification. Unfortunately everything here has become a political football. It’s on the tip of everyone’s brain since social media has succeeded in ‘divide and conquer’ and politicians have capitalized on it.
I am leaving the conversation here.
By the way, I read your Iceland trip report a while back, very enjoyable adventure to read about. That place is gonna be awesome when it’s warmer! Haha.
All the best.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I was trying to raise some awareness about the wildfire problem and how it is spreading to new areas.

I agree somewhat with this post except for climate change = how they raise their children?

As climate change does affect all of these things, however, the subject is about the spread of wildfire and not an open invitation for the denial crew to steam in and skew the thread into other politically charged directions.
Respectfully your entire OP is politically charged, it presents a false premise, pushed by the left to assert control.

jeepgc

Adventurer
@jeepgc
Thank you. I respect that clarification. Unfortunately everything here has become a political football. It’s on the tip of everyone’s brain since social media has succeeded in ‘divide and conquer’ and politicians have capitalized on it.
I am leaving the conversation here.
By the way, I read your Iceland trip report a while back, very enjoyable adventure to read about. That place is gonna be awesome when it’s warmer! Haha.
All the best.

You're welcome @pith helmet and glad that you enjoyed my trip report - funny comment btw, made me lol, you too, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles