The White Rim Trail: February 2016

The White Rim Trail: Canyonlands Utah

No doubt the White Rim Trail is a bucket list trip for everyone who knows about it. Despite growing up in Utah and spending a lot of time exploring the state as a kid with family and as an adult I had never done the trail. Last fall we started planning out our adventures for 2016 and the White Rim was at the top of my list. Knowing that the trail can get fairly busy during the spring and fall, and that permits can be tough to come by we decided to hit the trail in the off-season in late February. We wanted take our time so we planned for 4 days and 3 nights. Admittedly I wish we had planned even more time. There were several hikes we were not able to do because we simply just didn't have enough time. We put together a video of our trip forgive the poor editing, all done on a free software, and footage from our cell phones.

Day 1

Our first day went smoothly, Potash road is incredible on it's own and the fact that it leads to The White Rim makes it even better. We spent a good amount of time stopping, exploring and taking pictures throughout the day. We hit the usual spots, the Colorado River Overlook, Mussleman Arch and Lathrop Canyon. The 4 mile trail to the bottom of Lathrop Canyon is well worth the trip. It would make a great day trip heading from Moab via Potash Road, drop into Lathrop Canyon and back out.

img_1938.jpg

img_1931.jpg

After Lathrop Canyon we set a solid pace for the coveted Whitecrack campground. We wanted to setup camp in the light and still have time to do some exploring. Whitecrack is everything it is made out to be and better. So beautiful, you could spend an entire week camping at a spot like this. I have definitely stayed places that are not nearly as cool. We spent the evening exploring the area hiking and taking a few pictures.

img_1994.jpg

img_1978.jpg

Day 2

We were up early excited to watch the sunrise and anxious to get back on the trail.

img_2037.jpg

We knew the trail would be a lot more technical and we wanted to go over some of the really cool parts more than once. The climb up and descent down the Murphy Hogback Plateau is awesome! Very steep and a little technical with some hardened ruts. I am very glad we didn't run into anyone going up or down, making a pass along that portion of the trail would be very difficult. The descent had a small ledge and the ground was still very muddy as this portion of the trail gets a lot of shade. Mike jumped out to spot me and things went very well, I am glad in this instance we were running the trail clockwise, that ledge looks to be worse due to the soft conditions, I am glad were going down not up.

img_2049.jpg

Our second camping spot was Candlestick. We knew we would be getting there earlier in the day leaving us a good amount of time to explore. We had a great time hiking around the cliffs looking over the river.

img_2067.jpg

Later that evening a few other travelers came by one rig stopping to use the restroom and chat. They were headed to Potato Bottom for the night.

Day 3

We woke up to a little surprise our batter was dead. Seeing that the first people we really ran into was on our second day at the end of the day getting a jump from someone else was not going to be an option. Luckily we had a few options, we could bump start the rig if needed using a hill, but that can be exhausting if it doesn't work the first time. However we did have a small portable jumper back from Tusk. It is good for at least 5 jump starts as well as charging multiple devices. With the Jeep running we wanted to see if the battery was keeping any charge at all, so when we ran across a good hill we turned the key off and tested to see if it would fire back up, which it did! We knew we could drive it out that day but we didn't want to as that would change our plans significantly, confident we could at least start it a few more times we went back to our original plans. (Once home it looks like it was just on the tail end of life so we replaced it)

We made a few stops along the way at Potato Bottom campground and even did the Fort Bottom Trail hike, which is really fun.
img_2149.jpg

The road up from Potato Bottom is absolutely incredible, and was one of my favorite parts of the trail.

img_2123.jpg

Once we made it to Labyrinth our final camp spot we quickly setup and then headed towards Taylor Canyon which is a 6 mile trail that leads to the Moses and Zeus trail-head as well as a campground. I had heard of the trail but didn't know their was a campground. I wish I had booked it, the view was stunning. The trail is really fun as well and reminded me some of Lathrop Canyon where the trail intersects with a dried out wash multiple times. Once back we made dinner and reminisced about the trip.

img_2156.jpg

Day 4

Photo-Feb-21-3-21-07-PM.jpg

Our final day was going to cover a lot of ground. Mike lives in Roswell and I live about 3 hours north of Moab. We had about 40 miles left to go including the Mineral Road Switchbacks which are pretty impressive in their own right.

Photo-Feb-22-8-19-16-AM-1.jpg

Once we made it back to Moab we grabbed some brunch and then headed to Monticello so we could get Mike back to his truck and on his way back to NM. I spent a good portion of my 4 hour drive from Monticello to Highland just driving in silence thinking about the incredible trip we had just been on. The views are something that can only be truly appreciated in person, not to mention the vast empty open space that seems to be timeless. I know many of you here have tackled the trip already but if you haven't or if you are just looking to do it again I can't recommend it enough!

If you are the type who loves crazy long trip reports, with loads of pictures you can read my much longer report here. http://backroadexploration.com/overlanding-white-rim-trail/

Here are a few more pictures!
Photo-Feb-19-5-20-49-PM.jpg

Photo-Feb-20-10-12-17-AM.jpg

Photo-Feb-22-9-09-35-AM.jpg

Photo-Feb-21-12-20-04-PM.jpg

Photo-Feb-19-11-53-23-AM.jpg

Photo-Feb-19-11-21-57-AM.jpg

Photo-Feb-19-12-27-43-PM.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great great pics and I like the writeup...
Thanks for going in Feb as I would never had thought to try it that time of year.
The couple of times I have done White Rim have been amazing and I wish we had gone as slow as you did and added in the hiking.
Thanks for the mention of the other trail offshoots as I now have a reason to return.

Thanks for posting and glad you had a good trip.

Thanks for reading! Going in late February worked really well for us. I actually heard about that time frame from some guys on ADVRider.com. Because it is the off season we were not even charged for our permits. We reserved online of course but, there was no reservation charge, so that was another benefit.

mph

Expedition Leader
Sweet...Headed there shortly. Thanks for the tease. Looks like you guys had a great trip!

Dr. Freud

I just got back from the white rim. We started Friday afternoon and our timing couldn't have been any better. They opened the Shafer switchbacks just minutes after we checked in to the visitor center. The ranger that opened the gate said our group was the first one of the year to do the entire loop. We camped at airport D and hardscrabble B. Both were enjoyable, but we all wished we had stayed at the white crack. It is as amazing as you described, definitely on the list for next time. Thanks for all your details, we didn't have enough time to do all the hiking and exploring that you did.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Nice report! I was all set to do this trail last April but decided not to camp due to 65 mph winds overnight. We did Lathrop and then back tracked. Such an awesome place! I will be back. Oh yes I will be back.

Sounds like you had a great trip. First tracks on the Switchback! I am jealous! Planning a fall trip with the wife so we should be able to then. Was the trail pretty busy?

Nice report! I was all set to do this trail last April but decided not to camp due to 65 mph winds overnight. We did Lathrop and then back tracked. Such an awesome place! I will be back. Oh yes I will be back.

Thanks! Hey at least Lathrop is pretty awesome, hopefully you have better weather on your return trip!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Great pictures, looks like a fun trip. Wife and I were at the top of Island in the Sky in 2009 and the Shafer Trail Switchbacks were still closed.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Your pictures are awesome! We ran this in September, what an awesome trip, can't wait to do it again. There are some great pics here somewhere of it being run in winter with snow. Something about a white ground cover makes the red rock pop out in photos.

skrillah

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the write up and video! I did a portion of this trail 2-3 years ago, but was unable to finish due to some technical difficulties. At any rate, thanks for the inspiration to plan another trip!

Your pictures are awesome! We ran this in September, what an awesome trip, can't wait to do it again. There are some great pics here somewhere of it being run in winter with snow. Something about a white ground cover makes the red rock pop out in photos.

That sounds great! I would love to go through in the snow! We have done a good amount of exploring near Goblin Valley in the snow and you are right the red rock and snow together is so beautiful.

Few More Pictures

I finally got pictures off of another device. Here area few more pictures from our trip.

Mike snagged a quick picture of me looking over the Colorado river. I need to remember to actually get in front of one of the camera every once in a while.

Melookover-e1459121042965.jpg

You can see the Jeep in the middle of the picture. Parked while we do some hiking.

JeepInBG-e1459121016909.jpg

Washerwoman

Washerwoman-1-e1459120999384.jpg

Whitecrack lookout, Just a few steps from the Whitecrack camp spot.

WhiteCrack2-e1459121029550.jpg

Mike taking in the view.

MikeWhiteCrack-e1459120950768.jpg

Potato bottom campground. (We didn't stay here but if I were doing the trail in two days this would be my second stop)

PotatoBottom-e1459120935306.jpg

Arrowhead we found while hiking

Arrowhead-e1459120878567.jpg

I could have sat here all day!

Bestoutlook.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior