The "What Did You Do To Your Pop-Up Truck Camper Today?" Thread!!!

dependencies

Observer
Ah, OK
Many but not all the (hardside)campers I see pictured feature the quite common underbelly arrangement, which I can see would pretty sturdy,
I know someone just toured some pretty sketchy roads in Europe and suffered fixings pulled through the bed,
and not seen a UK camper fitted in any other way so I thought I'd ask

thanks

Camelfilter

Explorer
Worked on my "house" electric some more. It's almost done!!

Drilling the side of my Flippac-I was scared I'd wreck it...

I put some clear Gorilla tape X2 over the area to be drilled & drilled very slowly. No shattering, cracking or splitting. Nice!

Solar input plug:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Solar controller & a dedicated fridge outlet:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Camelfilter, what is your source for the solar components? Looks good!

Thanks!

The controller I bought used here, works great. They have newer models of the same unit now with more user input. This one is so easy that I can use it....

I bought a flexible 100W panel direct from Renogy (?spelling). - I'll see if I can find a link if it's quiet at work tonite. - Nice panel, lightweight and not too much. I think mine was $200 shipped.

The plug I drilled into the fiberglass is a marine deck socket. Kinda pricey for what it is ~$25. And it was a chore to get 10AWG to fit, I had to cut off some wire, so the junction is more likely 12AWG.

I went with the deck plug because I could source local, a much better option would be an Anderson/Tyco type outlet, but not sure where to get them local.

I had been considering an RV cable door/hatch, but the marine looks pretty clean. Also now that I've installed it, I don't know that the Flippac would have space to cut for a hatch. There's metal structure near there AFAIK.

EDIT: This is the 100W panel which I bought. The site states that they are out of stock until 6/30. Seems to be a nice unit, it's lightweight & flexible (but not foldable, just kinda bendy). I held onto the foam inserts it shipped with, and will be using one sandwiched between 1/8" plywood for transport in my truck.

I'll probably use the 1/8" ply as a support for when my top is flipped & angle it towards sunlight. I'll post up some picks when I've got that figured out (I might have to use thicker ply).

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Well, nearly all of my attention lately has bee on the sailboat, but I managed to complete the installation of my Wave 3 catalytic heater. Forgot to get pics, but will do so when I can find the time.

ripperj

Explorer
Took the aluminum roof skin off the Alaskan,so I could cut the cab over off and extend 2'. This will allow north/south sleeping and some( minimal) side storage
I decided more cab over space was a priority if my wife is to tolerate sleeping in the thing. Also makes getting in and out much easier if one person is in bed.

I am keeping the original lower section of the cab over intact until the top is done, makes measuring simpler/ easier to visualize.
I ordered all new sheet metal( entire camper) from Hemet Rv in California. Pretty expensive to ship to CT, but he (Steve) was good to work with. $1800 Inc $400 shipping. This includes the 14' roof rolled in a huge box. Should be here next week, hoping it rives intact.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404496863481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404496863481.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404497077460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404497077460.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404497094717.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404497094717.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 47

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Well, nearly all of my attention lately has bee on the sailboat, but I managed to complete the installation of my Wave 3 catalytic heater. Forgot to get pics, but will do so when I can find the time.

Can you slide in a picture of the sailboat...I'll shield you from the angry subscribers, after all it's a camper on water...

brian90744

American Trekker
RipperJ.
Call Hemet RV and make sure the "Mesa" is north /South pattern or length wise. This is the lines on the metal. I hope you order 14 Ft long with 1" mesa length wise and "s" lock both sides length wise.
and what Color.
Just FYI=brian

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
Thanks Brian, responded to your pm. I think I have it covered, ordered the pattern length wise and with s- locks on both sides. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Fingers are crossed for a damage free delivery, not looking for any headaches :)

ripperj

Explorer
Round one goes to the shipping company, ended up refusing delivery of my roof and siding.
ype4yjaj.jpg
yvu7ahed.jpg

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Remember the gorillas from the old American Tourister luggage commercials? I think they're delivering packages now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior