The WaterWagon project

blakeape

Adventurer
All this first gen 4runner activity has got me excited to start my 1988 project. I just started a thread on Pirate and will quote here.

I have always wanted a 1st gen 4runner and finally bought one back in June of 09. 1988 V6, 5spd, Tach dash, grey, sunroof, 230K miles a little rust not too bad. I drove it for a while and loved it. Cranked the t-bars and threw some 2" blocks in the back, swapped a pair of open 4.88's in, got an inclinometer, built a rear swing-out bumper, some rock sliders and bought a brand new set of 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2's.
I loved driving it and always had bigger plans of a 3.4 swap and a low SAS. So when a kid offered to trade me his 150K mile 3RZ for my 230K mile 3.0 I jumped on it. He wrecked his Taco and needed a 3.0 for a mid 90's 4runner he was gonna drive. So in February of 2011 I pulled the 3.0 and it has sat since. I traded the 3RZ, wiring harness, bell-housing, etc to a friend for Ruger 7mm Mag (my 1st rifle), started hunting and since killed 2 Elk with it.
P9080004.jpgPB290010.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I then started collecting parts and parting out rigs. Bought a rolled 1998 3.4 5spd Taco with 157K miles for $800, parted it out made over $1500 and kept the 3.4, wiring, etc. Then found a rolled 1994 FZJ80 with E-lockers for $450. Kept the front 3rd and parted the rest out for about $1800. Found a lot of great deals on Pirate, Craigs List and TTORA.
I now have:
-1998 3.4 157K
-1985 solid front axle
-4.88 geared HP e-locker
-4.88 geared LP e-locker
-Front Range off road SAS Hanger and Tacoma brake kit
-FROR steering box mout kit
-Used All Pro cross over steering kit
-shock hoops
-Marlin Knuckle rebuild kit
-Flat pitman arm
-entire 1988 truck A/C dash
-(2) steering stabilizers
-Old Man Emu front springs
-T-100 oil pan kit
-New Toyota 3.4 Clutch and 3.0 throw out bearing (wedding gift!)
-mid 90's SR5 front seats with lumbar
-ARB front bumper that needs some love
-more stuff I'm forgetting

started tearing down the front end and got the front e-locker in and the diff armor on
Attached Images
IMG_1071_zps5b75cfc6.jpgIMG_1073_zps6034a197.jpgIMG_1076_zps2aec1f1f.jpgIMG_1077_zpsf7af76e7.jpg

So the plan is a low SAS, with 3.4 Taco power, e locked front and rear, not a rockcrawler but something I can comfortably drive, camp, explore and chase water in its different forms in. I do a lot of kayaking, paddleboarding and skiing so hence the "Water Wagon" title.

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
Thanks.
I'll start torching the IFS off this week when I get off shift. I went paddleboarding with a couple friends yesterday and we used my 1 Ton Tacoma for a shuttle rig. It does great, but isn't the most economical thing to run around in, 40" tires ain't cheap. IMG_1078_zps15fed4e3.jpg

Last edited:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Wow- looks like you have some of the best Toyota parts you can pick together in NA. Should be really interesting. I miss my old 85 4Runner. I would really like to have another one, once the girls (11 months now) can crawl in back and buckle up by themselves.

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. I am pretty excited to get this thing put together hoping for maybe July 4th-ish to be able to drive it.

Wainiha

Explorer
Nice Tacoma. Where in Montana? I lived in Bozeman. Only 4x I did was minimal. Beartrap Canyon, Hyalite resevior and some place in Big Fork. Oh and some crazy steep road in Glacier National Park or nere there.

blakeape

Adventurer
Nice Tacoma. Where in Montana? I lived in Bozeman. Only 4x I did was minimal. Beartrap Canyon, Hyalite resevior and some place in Big Fork. Oh and some crazy steep road in Glacier National Park or nere there.

I am in Columbia Falls near Glacier National Park. I love Tobacco Mtns down by Whitehall, and we have the "Blacktail Wild Bill OHV" area near us here.

blakeape

Adventurer
Holy Cow!!..Those tires/wheels make that Taco look DINKY!!

Those are the little tires, 40" MTR's balanced radials on H2 wheels. They drive great. For more hard-core wheeling I have a (pretty worn down) set of 42" bias ply Iroks on re-centered H1 double beadlocks. Wheel awesome, so so on the street.
IMG_0965_zpsf1e2f961.jpgIMG_0943_zps533e2d88.jpg

Oh and that not me on the roof

Lecoq

Explorer
I've never wheeled up in Canada, are there good trails up by you. Regardless, I'd love to see some new terrain.

There's a lot of nice wheeling around here and heading south along the mountains. Crowsnest Pass wouldn't be too far for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior