The watch (timepiece) thread

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I just picked up a new watch that I am really enjoying so I thought I would start a watch thread. I have used the venerable Casio digital calculator watch for what I would estimate to be about 15 years now. I am often doing math and am not so fast at doing it in my head like Vince or Uwe :p I am on my 2nd one (lost the first). They are very handy, and water resistant (WR), but one gripe I always had was that they didn't have a light on them.

Casio has a newer version out now with a few more features.
  • Illuminated - with an option to automatically illuminate when you raise the watch and tilt it to look at it (this will come in handy for the arctic trip when I have gloves on and it will be dark a lot).
  • Calculator with currency conversion
  • Dual times
  • Alarm/chrono
  • Stopwatch
  • Database - stores up to 25 names/numbers
And a very nice price of $24US.

Now, at the other end of the spectrum, I'd love to have one of these for the upcoming arctic trip. :cool:

So go ahead and post up what kind of trusty watch (or watches) that you have. Or maybe your dream watch.

Blair G

Adventurer
Suunto X-lander

Mine has lasted through 5 fire seasons without a problem. Not for the small boned however.

B000051SEP.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65929720_.jpg

And the Rolex Explorer has been one that I would love to get. Either the I or II
rolex_watch_and_dial_medium_cu.jpg

Blair

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
BajaTaco said:
Now, at the other end of the spectrum, I'd love to have one of these for the upcoming arctic trip. :cool:

So go ahead and post up what kind of trusty watch (or watches) that you have. Or maybe your dream watch.

Sweet kobold, there new watches are getting more and more $$. Don't see too many of them around.
________
ZX600M

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I used to break Timexes all the time, thought instead I'd get a Tag Heur, broke that too. Anything I have on my wrists in terms of watches stop working. The only clock that's ever accurate for me?

11_1_b.JPG

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Ever notice a watch is a man's diamond?

I have allways deep down wanted this watch:
B000EQR6KM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Time/Calendar in 22 World Time zones
  • 4 Year Power Reserve
  • Eco-Drive Never Needs Batteries
  • Time Reset Advisory
  • 3 World Time Alarms
  • 99 Minute Countdown Timer
  • Rotating slide rule Bezel(E6B) Chis any pilot will tell you this beats any calculator!
  • Screw-Back Case
  • One touch interchangeable Analog/Digital time
  • Safety Fold Over Clasp with Push Button
  • 100 Meter Water Resistant
  • Hand and Numbers Glow in the Dark
  • Black Anodized Metal Band
  • 5 Year Warranty

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Suunto all black Limited Edition X-Lander is pretty much my speed. Nice enough, but not too nice to abuse.

Dream watch / present to self on 40th birthday, Panerai Luminor GMT Arktos. :D :birthday.sml:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Ah, watches... I have a relatively small collection:
breitling_navitimer_50th_anni.JPG

38819.jpg

my current daily driver:
citizen_eco-drive.jpg

and a couple of russians for which I couldn't find representative photographs and a 1968 Omega Seamaster that I will some day steal from my dad.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I wear a 37-yr old Rolex Explorer I that my dad bought on his honeymoon and gave me on my 18th birthday. I never take it off, but did have it semi-refurbished (mechanism cleaned, lens replaced, couple of chain links replaced) about 5 years ago. Love my watch and plan to give it to my son on HIS 18th birthday.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Timex "Expedition". :archaeolo
Cheap, reliable, don't care if I break it...which I haven't in 5 years or so...
Works for me...
But my "daily driver" watch that I wear here to work is a Seiko Chronograph...
:sombrero:

Bergger

Explorer
g7301v-1v_large.jpg

Black Tough Solar G-Shock

This is what I use. Very tough, not too expensive, solar power as well.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I have a Bulova, fairly close to the one pictured, but lately it has taken to going through batteries fairly quickly. It is currently dead. The plastic insert with the numbers for the diving timer also fell/broke off a few years back. Most days, my most reliable time piece doubles as a communications device. If I get another one, I would probably look at Swiss Army or Tag Heuer. Though the Bulova worked well for me until it started eating batteries.

Scott Brady

Founder
60seriesguy said:
I wear a 37-yr old Rolex Explorer I that my dad bought on his honeymoon and gave me on my 18th birthday. I never take it off, but did have it semi-refurbished (mechanism cleaned, lens replaced, couple of chain links replaced) about 5 years ago. Love my watch and plan to give it to my son on HIS 18th birthday.

Very cool

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
DaktariEd said:
Timex "Expedition". Cheap, reliable, don't care if I break it...which I haven't in 5 years or so...
Works for me...
That's what I go with, a simple Timex with an analog face and a Silverfoot band. I tend to lose or break them and so expensive watches are a waste. I smashed one climbing, dropped one crawling out of the 'Nest and ran over it, left one sitting on a table in Kodachrome Basin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz