The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
It was a fun weekend with my wife - but the Blazer had to languish, alone, in the shop.
That said, parts did arrive
the bearing to adapt my t-case to the NV4500
oqjzrtkh.jpg

I may use the spare case since it's mostly apart
tpLooV8h.jpg

where the bearing goes
a3U5FPzh.jpg

brake lines
vax58Huh.jpg

fP4ngS9h.jpg

all was not happy because the rears are a 7/16 banjo fitting rather then 3/8 (like the fronts).... so reordered those and these will go into the brake line bucket
front shocks arrived and they're 'just right' for length
t7TCm0Wh.jpg

3pPEoDJh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
More parts arrived today... rear shocks
9fxPLwnh.jpg

also the dies for putting pipe beads
GZgvsujh.jpg

directions were non-existent but figured it out
eZefPvyh.jpg

and a bead
0iXouirh.jpg

then paint the cross over coolant tube
ocpZm5uh.jpg

figured I'd use the later NP205 (one is a 77, the other is a 78 - the 78 has 30 spline outputs
1lyA2BKh.jpg

the onto taking the NP205 apart so I can get the bearing bored
Fc8LJrOh.jpg

od979jLh.jpg

1uN8Hzwh.jpg

for reasons below, I didn't have the patience to knock this roll pin out
KDnZtQ9h.jpg

then an unintended visitor... quails are cute but utterly stupid. Of course, Luigi was in heaven
1SwfZxZh.jpg

fun fact, the quail will sit on the fan until it gets flinged off...
vOEyqmdh.jpg

and the other visitor - waiting for its tow to get fixed... again. lord I hate Jeeps
x3LjjoCh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
so today's distraction - make a shelf for the portable ac for my wife's truck
MfcvspCh.jpg

repurposed a dog dish stand... attached it the seatbelt anchors
gGpJbPxh.jpg

and created a second shelf for the 2nd 24v battery
dFvPhLzh.jpg

installed
M96xtCsh.jpg

in Blazer stuff, the np205 is fully apart
RNiYWbgh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
brake lines arrived... yay-ish
DfdY8s4h.jpg

so here's the deal - no one had the parts to make one-piece lines. So I got to make up more universal... which isn't a huge issue except it has 2 new places for it to develop leaks... just for the record, all that new leakiness didn't save me much money either.
J3PLB0Vh.jpg

fuel filtering... decided to use a Chevrolet Colorado/Silverado (it's the same) fuel filter set up. Has a pump inside and as long as filter makers keep making filters - should work pretty well...
EI7sgMmh.jpg

and got the seals and a rebuild book for the np205
SQjj7Agh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
back to the transfer case
zGo8JCKh.jpg

it fits
pIw68ELh.jpg

cleaning and working on subparts
7BwqslOh.jpg

tuESf9Dh.jpg

but still parts to buy... I need 15 of these
5fqw2e8h.jpg

need 2 good ones, have one
fXaTKcJh.jpg

need two good yokes - since I'm getting new driveshafts, I'll upgrade to either 1350 or 1410 u-joints on the front and a flat so I can use a cv-joint
NdhECBVh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
back to the Suburban.... first, kill the wasps
sOHv04Yh.jpg

this might be the problem... I hope so..... I had a wire overheat and thought I fixed it all... I didn't
XlDmuadh.jpg

I did now
t7vl0tCh.jpg

I'll say this to remind myself. I'm the type who'd rather just go online and order something. However, because this build has some nuance, I reached out to Tom Wood's (driveshaft company) and asked several questions about what yokes I needed for my t-case. Beside giving me all sorts of great answers, it also saved me money AND got me a part that isn't listed on their website. Pictures when the parts arrive, but my experience reminded me that it can be quite helpful to simply pick up a phone....NP 208 front flange works as a rear flange a NP205
DCOU61hh.jpg

U57y9iAh.jpg

the only difference is the outside diameter of the np208 flange - not optimal, but free... thus perfect
htCEKr4h.jpg

the whole point of switching to a flat flange is to lengthen the driveshaft to reduce angles... sure, not a lot, but a bit is better then nothing
mIpzDPTh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
OMG FIRE!!!!!! quick, get the explosives out of the shop (on another forum someone was proclaiming that I need another building for chemicals, welding gases, and any other flammable stuff.... oh and a fire system in the shop (which is all steel).... smh
lkbn9sWh.jpg

in other news, welded the brackets for the shocks on the rear axle and the tabs for the brake lines
SxcBijTh.jpg

AvIRHhJh.jpg

and mounted the T for the brakes
NkBA2I8h.jpg

the other news was I spent quality time cleaning and rearranging....

superbuickguy

Explorer
I haven't hit it yet, but it was just a matter of time - the problem - you can't reach the bolt heads on the frame without removing the tank or the bumper. You can't remove the bumper without removing the hitch... and the tank is mostly full... so I used fire*
tB0wLjoh.jpg

sadly the fire system I don't have nor the safe space for flammables was used in this wonton demonstration of irritating fire officials
pC9CJJwh.jpg

I also think several lithium batteries were in their chargers too....

also painted the transfer case... that was out too when I torched off the hitch....
ejMJbGzh.jpg

I know this is silly, but I'm going give one last shot at getting the hitch out...the right thing to do would be to stuff a m80 inside then heat the outside with a torch....
iH4eCymh.jpg

also ran the lines for the rear brakes then hamfisted a fitting so now waiting for parts
20dITOXh.jpg

looks good, though
22Aa2Cuh.jpg

*note, on another forum someone told me I was very unsafe because I didn't have a fire shed (for flammables) and a sprinkler system in my all steel shop.... then proclaimed he got a fire badge out of a cracker jack box.... (okay, the last 6 words were ad-lib)..... as such, and since I'm a complete respector of authority and their stupid rules.... I mock. I know, seems so unlike me... lol

superbuickguy

Explorer
time to get a bit of paint on the bare metal
wlCTKNoh.jpg

TLLHx1gh.jpg

cHXqDb5h.jpg

and finish the brake lines... but to fix means taking more apart...
sRRo6kfh.jpg

remove the lines, rebend the lines, move the connection to behind the spring, drill a new hole and connect
Ebq6V7Ch.jpg

H5tadDZh.jpg

and done
xWarKAUh.jpg

mHslJCEh.jpg

of course, had to hamfist and now I'm waiting for a new adapter (leaks)
OMzna8uh.jpg

front axle had a 1310 u-joint, now 1350
7Cw0PSWh.jpg

mDZ5NEvh.jpg

the old one, good thing I changed because it had a worn spot (would have leaked)
Vongx4Vh.jpg

and done
9voopvgh.jpg

went with flange type u-joint plates - gives me a longer driveshaft
S2pGW3ph.jpg

then bled the clutch
dOkJyTeh.jpg

only way to bleed
Ua7KYcph.jpg

good spot for this
eeKOxVHh.jpg

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
continuing with brakes, but after a commercial break with the Suburban
I finally got a code (36 and 81). 81 I know about - when I bought the truck the seller mentioned the transmission was starting to go... that was 40,000 miles ago...anyway, 36 led me to a Youtube video that ....
this little bit is a bunch of resistors that go bad over time. When I put this new pump on it, the resistor bit was missing...for good reason, you don't need it
0I9ugSNh.jpg

8NnL7Qfh.jpg

simply remove it
nV5wmIZh.jpg

and plug the other 'end' back into the Optic Sensor
2ORuWFvh.jpg

now, before anyone gets excited - I've done everything else to fix the surge problem....thankfully, this is pretty easy to test and that will happen tomorrow

now back to our regularly schedule Blazer update
got more shiny bits - there were enough bearings that were questionable that I bought new, Japanese bearings
0I9ugSNh.jpg

and the right seals for the new output flanges
vHmSPnPh.jpg

then continued with brakes.... this time e-brakes
2BZ3R9Fh.jpg

needed to make a bracket to attach to the OEM brake cable
nrPOP05h.jpg

attach to here
IDIRlcDh.jpg

IJfF0oJh.jpg

like this
O4XbGjnh.jpg

and then
ZnQtBMch.jpg

didn't finish because it seems I managed to 180* install stuff... ah well
YvosgQ7h.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
what's wrong with this picture? everything.... first the bracket attached to the caliper is attached to the wrong caliper, second the caliper is on the wrong side, and finally, the bracket on the axle is in the wrong spot... pictures
PeoeJleh.jpg

BECyEMfh.jpg

3q5vKZ1h.jpg

now correct
7RusVZOh.jpg

Yxpuu4sh.jpg

had to extend a cable
HsmYqAJh.jpg

and I got the last parts to adapt the nv4500 to the np 205... this is as bulletproof as it gets... nice pieces
adapter that allows you to 'clock' the transfer case (if you wish)
wYjjQLmh.jpg

this is pretty cool, it replaces an aluminum part that's actually leaking on mine...
Lr84FOXh.jpg

Advance adapters ain't cheap, but it's solid quality. 4x4lugnuts (the JO who put the calipers together.... not so much)... here, let me put him out of business. The cable set is a wilwood part, the calipers are simply 1977-79 Seville and El Dorado rear calipers. Save yourself money.... don't use him. I suppose I wouldn't be as annoyed if his advertising is "well, you can save money or save time with my parts"... how does he figure? can't tell his right from left.... screw him, the parts are available elsewhere for less money AND you'll get pictures that actually mean something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles