The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
more boring stuff....
this one doesn't work with the 6.2 manifold... at least not as it sits...
jXknC9ah.jpg

hold that thought, though, need to get a few more things dialed in.. like the offset for the turbo
QduBom5h.jpg

and get the wiring routed to figure out how much stock I'm buying in DEI this time
jXknC9ah.jpg

with my attention span we finish with connecting the power steering pump
ifVA5ZDh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
Time to take the tank out of the Suburban on the off chance the pickup is messed up or plugged up
blQ7Quph.jpg

first drain the tank
VOtrAANh.jpg

nope, sock isn't the problem... maybe the computer is gone... I dunno
JXW1e32h.jpg

it's not, but now is the optimal time to put the pickup in place for the diesel heater
rkUhqEoh.jpg

jGhXcvTh.jpg

not to say I didn't spend a bit of time getting things ready to test fit the winch bumper on the blazer
m7qO8Uqh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
To finish... put the pickup in the tank for the diesel heater...
So8MorBh.jpg

then assembled it and drove it out of the shop...

back to the Blazer
first problem, finally, solved. Needed the fittings for the fuel pump... apparently Dorman makes them. Thanks Dorman
9vsHoyrh.jpg

while I was gluing the fitting to the tank, I figured I'd try this...
fITsZy9h.jpg

and also got the heat shielding so I can finish the turbo portion
KEE6LBUh.jpg

e33JRbDh.jpg

so back to the fitting... it works... problem is getting the lines to fit. Okay, so there's a huge secret. I guess some people gave up on a 6.5 diesel install because of the fittings. I guess they'd never heard of -10 an fittings?
YewHP0Wh.jpg

so I don't know if this is going to be the solution... I have a stand alone cooler as well... but it has its own challenges.

superbuickguy

Explorer
random stuff forward - remove the outer cover of the hvac box - so I can put heat shield in place
ANidpFqh.jpg

even got the idle solenoid connected
AL7tHK6h.jpg

and time to get the bumper off the floor
joN8HXfh.jpg

the brackets for an 86 Blazer must have been for the 'other' one (or the idiot at the swap meet didn't know ****** he was talking about)
4x6TRmKh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
in other news, got the blocks
zlY7MTNh.jpg

the problem... the blocks I was using aren't symetrical
g25caSrh.jpg

vQClmiDh.jpg

and that, of course, puts the tire in a different spot in the fender (and worse, makes the truck crab)
aZpHaWTh.jpg

pQsowjZh.jpg

in the rest of this, I'm going to add at least one leaf

at SEMA, I noticed a new engine stand coming from Harbor Fright. for less than $400 it's comparable to $800 stands... wish I had it when I was building the motor for this... ah well, I do enough motors that this will be well used
ezwTTROh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm kind of in the middle of a lot of things - waiting for parts, for one such as this
yxyvv2u.jpg

fun fact about this Blazer. He had charging problems.... so he put thousands of extra grounds... probably should have paid more attention to the connector that regulates the power generation... not judging, but just sayin'

I needed to drill the hole larger for the heavy-duty alternator and I'm waiting for the new a/c pump, the right plug for the alternator and gaskets... and the list goes on... not just that but AutoX on Sunday so had to align the Corvette (which I do myself because I think it's faster then explaining to the local Firestone tech what I'm looking for and how to adjust it)...

superbuickguy

Explorer
got a bit more done today... spent most of it making my wife's new car into a dog box... but I did get me time
new a/c pump installed
eOtGva8h.jpg

finally machined the clutch fan housing to accept the new fan
VwBKcA1h.jpg

yes, this is 'the right fan' for it.... uh... fixable
CoTVWqKh.jpg

also started wiring the new alternator
sKCwhVJh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
reconsidering my life choices... there's so many considerations doing this... it will fit, but wow what a pain.... and I love it.
of course, having to screw with heatshield doesn't make me happy
XseBSfhh.jpg

form and fit
KN2g5ENh.jpg

but it's necessary
feCTMJWh.jpg

time to figure out the upper coolant tube
O8Zb8QNh.jpg

more bits
7HFQspjh.jpg

there are issues because that is where I planned on running the pressurized line for the turbo
UguZqIgh.jpg

it would be a bit annoying to have to remake the intake to a flat plate and round hole
Q6xbU94h.jpg

oh but wait, there's more
Joo1jS6h.jpg

what you can't see is the 2 1/2 hole that needs to be there for the turbo's exhaust
Ql38isrh.jpg

you have no idea the temptation to put the turbo where the muffler would reside... it would solve some problems. That said, that means there would be another 2 1/2 tube that would need to fit up through that nonexistent hole

I wish I had a muffler shop tube bender....

superbuickguy

Explorer
I thought I'd be continuing on with exhaust, however, the bits I need didn't arrive yesterday... not complaining, I have tons to do - but one of those changes from moving is going from that-day or next-day delivery to in-a-week-or-so delivery... so I let my ADD reign and
started working on fixing the core support
ED4d7Yjh.jpg

amazing it can take 2 hours to do this but I'm still setting up the shop - so to cut these two pieces, I had to: clear the shear, find an extension cord, get the dies in the brake, find an extension cord for that, set the brake, get the metal out, clear a table to put the metal on, fix my wife's dog kennel, go to the store to get my wife a jump box, finish the brakes on the motorhome, then complete these pieces..
7kmxVp0h.jpg

oQIbB7vh.jpg

I did 'waste' a bit of time staring at these trying to determine how I was going to mount an idler pulley under the alternator..
oepvB8Sh.jpg

and then ADD again with the front bumper
CQUI4ouh.jpg

so how does one 'level' the front bumper? by checking the angle of the door sills, of course. Of course, they're also a 1/3rd of a degree different from side to side...
G9kfgTph.jpg

anyway, now's that for a got-nothing-done?

superbuickguy

Explorer
Spent the morning retrieving these jewels.... as I said before, the NP208 was likely just a placeholder...
ct2iy7K.jpg

boost on a HX35 turbo is limited to 30psi... which is about double what can be reliably used in a 6.5 TD - on the 'burb, I simply used a boost valve, this time, I'll do it right
0aiDGJA.jpg

sKUfM6v.jpg

fix things while you're thinking about them.... the PO didn't fix this... but added 50 more grounds?
rhCwi5F.jpg

y6sU40N.jpg

I got so tired of catching on the rusty bits that I figured I'd stop and fix that too
t4MuV38.jpg

wYe2bMA.jpg

pRuEWHG.jpg

got the exhaust bands so I can finally start on the exhaust
77r5CuO.jpg

trial on front bumper... it is going back at least 5"
OyqiSep.jpg

nBa9Vp5.jpg

UXAeOjl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members