The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
there's little left of the 'other' brake tree...
BQV9rU8h.jpg

note to self - pull the master cylinder before trying to put the tree in...
Cl4vfRmh.jpg

fun how the master cylinder just blends into the firewall..
MA9xdTth.jpg

to make the old fit in the new - take the return spring bracket off
DlruplUh.jpg

then the part off the clutch arm
eU3okFeh.jpg

the hard part - connecting the clutch master cylinder... many parts were reused
but the benefit is the clutch arm bolts on - thus if I don't like the action of the throwout - I can move its pivot point
akHkgBuh.jpg

to remind - the problem - the throttle cable/cruise control solenoid occupy the same space as the dual thermostat crossover
x9Ycsb7h.jpg

flipping it over solves several problems - but there are others... first of which the bleeder is now under the thermostat...
xiBOGtvh.jpg

plumbing this will be entertaining and I'm likely going to re-aim the inlet so that the throttle position sensor has room to rotate. In addition, there will be provisions for bleeder lines from the back of the head to the crossover (along with another bleed port).
despite my stupid camera not opening its lens... this is the dual thermostat crossover for a 6.5 - clever solution, actually, I'm going to make it even better but here is one of the ways to make a Detroit diesel survive.
IuFRjRkh.jpg

now the fast idle solenoid hits (and I'll truly need to figure that one out)
pWUqJtBh.jpg

getting close to a solution
mXtuvgxh.jpg

this gets the throttle cable to attach and leaves just figuring out the cruise control (which I'll probably just move up
xcI6hMhh.jpg

all clears so far
xiBOGtvh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
nothing warms my heart more then household electrical wire ties.
fN3A4Nzh.jpg

now the tree is back... in black
jHALmOIh.jpg

and installed
2bWEnwQh.jpg

then time to remove the wiring nightmare....
SP9j8Egh.jpg

an overview is the prior owner added a bunch of extra grounds... and had bare wires dangling under the dash... oh Bubba - you obviously stopped with Corvettes and went to Blazers...
now let me whip out this big thing... and steal bolts off it
R5SDAehh.jpg

the 6.5 crossover - will work fine but I'm going to add a flex joint in an attempt to save exhaust seals
MVakK5ih.jpg

The steering column would be back in but I'm replacing some parts - and they haven't yet arrived (won't be here until next week)... if I remember, I'll show how one threads the cruise control wire back down the column... it's not fun. then convert it to manual

There will be a break here for a week or so while I go race in the Optima Challenge. I get to drive to Willows California (700 miles) - to go race in the rain... should be fun, coming back, it looks like I'll be doing that in a snow storm. fun fun (no really, I love this stuff - but I also love doing Search and Rescue so I may not be normal - at least not in the traditional sense of the word).

superbuickguy

Explorer
worked on 3 things tonight... throttle bracket, turbo oil return and coolant (which is related to the throttle bracket

I welded the wrong bung on the oil return... the right one
SQNQyx8h.jpg

ijnKX2ph.jpg

all ready to go
CY8PDrTh.jpg

after moving the fuel bypass line... it works
6qWkiXQh.jpg

cut at 22.5 degrees
x7r0Ulfh.jpg

reweld the piece back on
O4fMw8ih.jpg

not pretty but it will do
O4fMw8ih.jpg

installed.. we have clearance
yu92PELh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
so this happened in the last week... fun stuff
ltWaSfAh.jpg

A7D2Z0xh.jpg

If only the bacon brothers did steering columns...
fOyDv5Ah.jpg

I hate doing steering columns... I've done dozens... hated every one. GM problem - they ran a small wire from the cruise controller down the column. It'd break in at least 2 ways - either at the pivot of the tilt steering or at the signal (usually the signal). This one broke in both places
iT7VMA6h.jpg

it literally means taking the steering column apart - don't even try to thread in the 3" or so ... it won't go because of the end ...
this is me giving up for now
esdqMp5h.jpg

midFHCsh.jpg

and a new problem - I knew it was coming...
PcFRZmph.jpg

the fix is changing the a/c system... I'm thinking about putting a suburban system in as I'm building a camper for this once this step is done... but I may not - I bought a 24v a/c system for my wife's kennel - and it works pretty well, so I may simply use the 24v system to augment the truck's system or an aftermarket system. Bonus there is I get rid of the vacuum hvac system and remove one more part that can fail.
but first, put the clutch together
L6xidYXh.jpg

Q4jyJlCh.jpg

mjBso1Ph.jpg

looks like it fits but it's about 1 1/2 inches too far forward
zaFQJDOh.jpg

that said, I'm quite stoked that my guess at springs came out pretty close
zylvR3bh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
driveshaft is a bit short...
3AOXlWih.jpg

time to seal this up
v0h9x2Hh.jpg

and this one too
L7rtrzvh.jpg

bit of silicone
KgdhPZZh.jpg

a lot of scrubbing
nK9ny3Bh.jpg

apparently 3 levels of gasket was the order of the day
zPLxoSAh.jpg

but easy enough to make clean
dY54Lffh.jpg

and even more silicone
UAlL6Snh.jpg

VbRAj1gh.jpg

it's actually great stuff... love that stuff
Ypw31q8h.jpg

seal hubs to axle
6TOkdmkh.jpg

and done
i7L7dlQh.jpg

picture of gearset for posterity
DzmxNN1h.jpg

gqx41pBh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
so it was finally time to get the shop more reasonably organized... and get the Suburban inside to work on it
qfshoqFh.jpg

injection pump is bad - so going to use the one that came with the H1 motor
3phxDFwh.jpg

so in the front shop, the Sledanette is gone and in its place work space and Paul's C3
1uCNJyBh.jpg

yysm3JSh.jpg

in real work, filling everything
a1ibf7bh.jpg

yes, I tied it up
olKCbseh.jpg

how to fill a transfer case - a hose adapter and drill bit
2204KbTh.jpg

I told myself there was no way my flexifunnel would reach down to fill the transmission
and yet it did
lYYr6eKh.jpg

kQJmFoih.jpg

and since I can't find the adapters - time to make something far more hokey
lxSMBtBh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
back to the Suburban... need crows feet wrenches...
usBXBHNh.jpg

believe it or not, these help me with the blazer too
fsOCyLyh.jpg

and now I realize I need to take another picture again... stupid camera...

onto something else
time to blow out some flanges so i can move the turbo
nd4f3RRh.jpg

there is a lot of grinding
cFYtjMgh.jpg

jmgCDXEh.jpg

somewhere in this neighborhood
fgo1uBOh.jpg

ordered a 90* 2 1/2" schedule 40 stainless pipe
and that's it for tonight

superbuickguy

Explorer
onward

and out. be sure, when you're doing this, to note where the pin aims
zfPHsLrh.jpg

NlWNMhxh.jpg

look, a big, dirty hole
kG5HptQh.jpg

pro tip... there is no need to take the passenger side lines loose from the injectors... this will save you hours
FAu2dZUh.jpg

and back in place with the 'new' one
NCc4XKah.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the wrench I made which saved me a lot of time too.... next time.

superbuickguy

Explorer
it runs... for a minute.
but first.. if you do this swap... this is how you get the bolts off the front of the injection pump
3IO176Fh.jpg

the gear can fall - and it would take a lot of work to get the timing off... possible, but hard to do (the gear meshes with another gear to drive the pump, you'd have to pick up on the gear with the pump out to screw with timing... and it's pretty close to the top so it would take some pretty impressive work to screw that up)
the injector line wrench
qGh8wWnh.jpg

and how to turn the motor to get all 3 bolts
CKCZws1h.jpg

and it runs great... until the PMD gets off stone cold
kQSX6bIh.jpg

it's common that the PMD is killed when the pump goes - and it was missing from the H1 motor - so I wait for a replacement ($50).

superbuickguy

Explorer
In today's story, we're talking wind
NyUbcNBh.jpg

swinging or flapping dog doors blow open on our slightly-breezy 40 mph wind days... so now we have an electric door.... but what does this have to do with the Blazer?
I need to make this windmaker fit
gH6mO55h.jpg

but first, 24v isn't going to do, so find a core that fits
7CJkFKUh.jpg

first with the CAD
EpdmVrzh.jpg

then positioning the turbo where it should fit
gH6mO55h.jpg

to be honest, I don't know - this is the crankcast vent - and that hole to shoot the exhaust down looks very tight
ATXyNwWh.jpg

it does clear the hood
1RrdRjNh.jpg

schedule 40 stainless bend.
5xXWkvZh.jpg

so that's it for today, I also spent the day on my wife's JunK ... what did you get done today?

superbuickguy

Explorer
tonight's task, get the steering column back together with the new stalk
BQ3RKgqh.jpg

pull the horn stuff off
6swGNUch.jpg

remove the lock ring
L8IC49kh.jpg

pull the signal actuator (learning that the horn bit is screwed up and I need to replace it)
pVNoe87h.jpg

So... this is hard learning on my part - no one ever explains that the cable runs down the same tunnel as the other wiring..
first, install the stalk then run the wire 'down' and under the signal assembly
9Eh5219h.jpg

feed a (in my case, cable tie) stiff wire down the tunnel
LJaXdBWh.jpg

see the cable tie end? don't bother trying to get it down the same tunnel as the signal wiring - it will try to go that direction but eventually stick where the wires because a single assembly
Z8Xyb1ch.jpg

and here it is back together.... or together enough to go to the next step (which will be to eliminate the shifter and make it stay in position)
pZzZuDch.jpg

but that's tomorrow...

superbuickguy

Explorer
two things going on at once, let's start with the 'burb'
$50 PMD controllers work just fine.
nice box, I observed
heBusfw.jpg

all new stuff, keep in mind that this stuff cost at least $300 the last time I priced it
r0BFJloh.jpg

nicely packaged
WZyfhdPh.jpg

A3l7KeDh.jpg

and it works. I need to time the Suburban - but my wife happily drove off in it about 30 minutes after I got it running... she claims to 'hate' it.... of course, if the PMD goes TU then she may not be so happy driving it... ah well, it's $50.

onto other stuff...
time to make the automatic column into a standard column (and those are rare as hens teeth)
first, weld the arm to the column tube
crT4pbNh.jpg

like this
wzvvxtih.jpg

I've done everything from buying the right parts and taking them utterly down to their last nut.... this way is easier and has the same result
then remove the lever and cut the stand off
J6rJz5Qh.jpg

like so
eHLRwaAh.jpg

stuff anything into the hole then epoxy the holes... and in this case, the lower cover to the upper cover (it was falling off so it's fixed, now)
other tip is have the tilt in the lowest position - otherwise you'll glue the pivot to the housing.... ask me how I know... that's also why you stuff the hole full - otherwise the epoxy will make what should be moveable immovable
CN9uKumh.jpg

tomorrow sanding then blackening
0438evzh.jpg

and driveshaft angles are going to be an issue - this is full droop and the driveshaft is jammed in place...
mcCkNZVh.jpg

I'll drop the t-case a bit more but I don't think it'll be enough. need to find a NP205... until then, I need to put limit straps in place

superbuickguy

Explorer
for today's fun... getting rubber covers on pedals
9JO37RLh.jpg

easy, no?
2dOL9G9h.jpg

time to sand and paint... and no, this is NOT a SEMA build - this is a truck I'm going to drive the tires off
Dh8Hk5ch.jpg

a bit of paint
9eCgRidh.jpg

lBEE4J2h.jpg

and now for that great game of "where do I plug this together... it works in 3d because not only do you have to know where the plugs go but also how to route them.. otherwise the column won't fit
5LLFCUxh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles