The Wanderers build

superbuickguy

Explorer
Back to updates of the real white whale

I've been collecting parts, and outside of a water tank, I'm about ready to dive back in so this is done before NWOR

First
heat
Jv6DJr2h.jpg

diesel heaters have become very popular because there are some good Chinese ones available
2MttdKuh.jpg

Of course, cooling, I found in the last 'burb that this powered fan is more then enough to keep the air moving and cooler inside
TxmrYbQh.jpg

also the water pump is there. The next thing is the powered vent, seat heaters, decent stereo, HAM radio, and wiring for the solar panels. Also there will be a side cabinet that houses the heater, water tank and the spigot for a sink (that will attach outside). I have to order a new roof awning, my wife stole the batwing....

superbuickguy

Explorer
Finally back to this... but it's mostly forced. 250k miles and pretty much all the controls need replacement in the dash HVAC
rlieGwth.jpg

though the first problem was the plug for the headlights....
RXVbe3ch.jpg

e8iIfgCh.jpg

bottom left of that picture is the heat control - it was fine, but since I had it all apart for a door error code in the controls - replace them both
4LnU9Ryh.jpg

finally this
x9Ydhgsh.jpg

I'm still digging to get the fan out - but time was out tonight. I've spent the last couple days clearing brush so if we get a long, hot, dry summer and the worst happens (fire) - there's nothing readily ignitable.... that means the the hemlock torches are on the ground - now just clean up and brush burn Funny thing is you'll never be able to tell other then dead, trees won't be in my skyline. Hemlocks are dying off due to some bug - what happens is they have these dense-brush branches that once defoliated got up like a sparky match. The fix is drop the tree, burn the branches and give away the firewood. At this point they're not commercially salvageable because they die from the inside out.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I’ve been thinning hemlocks on my property as well. Had a big one tip over this winter. Roots had a white fungus all over them. I haven’t seen the defoliation yet, but time will tell.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I've been replanting Douglas firs (and a Giant Sequoia) so hopefully by the time the last of them die off - the other trees will fill the gaps. Truthfully, I'm concerned about the "cedar" trees (giant arborvitae) - all of the trees at my place are 2nd or even 3rd growth so what is here may not be what was here before they logged it to build boats for the Alaskan gold rush... still, I hope the sequoia experiment works (they are maybe 18" tall right now).

superbuickguy

Explorer
Dash is back together, new fan installed.... only works on high... ah well, that's one more speed then before. Diagnose later (it has a new control board that worked so this should be interesting)

In other news
time to cut a hole in the roof
WuDKUfFh.jpg

qkFA2Vdh.jpg

test fit
vvLR4jkh.jpg

and done
R6CSEqJh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
brake issues....
6Qu4WkLh.jpg

sort of fixed it, I have an issue with the balancer - so it's better, just not where I want it
oMOnYxUh.jpg

stereo start
SKJ5Agxh.jpg

6Qu4WkLh.jpg

it is possible to put a double din in, but there is no reversing it.... as you'll see soon

time to fix an air leak
Ro9SxzAh.jpg

XWPoGgNh.jpg

yep, there will be a lot of mud in there.... if you don't like it, deal with it I don't care.... it's a $300 truck
xdpLFh5h.jpg

My goal is this ready-to-camp by Friday.... It must be done by the end of May, so there is fudge room, but wish me luck (unless you don't like the mudding then bugger off)

superbuickguy

Explorer
another bite at getting this more useful
2ccPrl5h.jpg

Lhk6GE3h.jpg

kZeQJeQh.jpg

nl62hmyh.jpg

missing the gps antenna, but pretty close to done with the radio
orVb4rlh.jpg

I also fixed the brake problem, cost zero dollars so far.... I balanced the system, but now the abs light comes on above 15 mph....

superbuickguy

Explorer
fixing more stuff
the driver's seat
Vm8nF4J.jpg

since the back seats aren't being used, I'll steal foam from one of them
DAoOiGHh.jpg

gQ1MPw2h.jpg

close
2rnUlWoh.jpg

I think I found my offset seat problem
lPLKImxh.jpg

iWXRhAFh.jpg

and a wrapper.... I suspect I know what caused the original problem with the foam
BMcwsrlh.jpg

uh, yeah
g5ErVZxh.jpg

repaired
CSs9srch.jpg

might as well put the seat heaters in
4WD2pReh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
finishing up... heated seats are going in sheepskin covers - the backs are glued to the foam and it won't come apart without great risk of destroying the foam.. no biggie, just a bit different
sxM81oih.jpg

between the frame fix, a bent fix, and the foam the seat is MUCH better.. now just for heat
0JGK1Lkh.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
now that the major mechanical repairs are done or properly ignored, time to make this ready for the NWOR
I need space for the water tank, and other mechanical systems... the best way is build a floor
VxblCUwh.jpg

QIfkqAIh.jpg

V697FO1h.jpg

batteries moved forward, the rest of the seats were removed and the water tank installed along with the diesel heater
9jCZFQoh.jpg

SuETeChh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier