The Volkswagen Type 181

Doin_It

Adventurer
So.... if your talking Vdub's, check out this dude out there "Doin It" right now. From his site I quote:

"Instructions: Take one crazy American guy with one-arm, add one cute Japanese girl with a temper, shake well in a beach-buggy across Africa and what do you get?"

The answer is found here: http://www.redbuggy.com/

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I was into vw's for a bit and had a73 thing. orange of course LOL. In the winter I used to ridew around in my dry suit cause it had no top. When it was really cold I also put on a set of bugs bunny ear muffs. It was a joke that got out of had LOL!

Had alot of fun with it. But the novelty did wear off.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Yooper -

You may want to pick up a copy of the February 2007 issue of Off Road Magazine, with a yellow Ford SportTrac on the cover. Inside is an article with several great pics of a '74 Thing that was rebuilt by a company in AZ who specializes in off road racing buggies.

The paint job might make you hurl, but seeing a 181 with a long travel set up, King Coilovers, a 2.2ltr GM motor, and billet A arms, etc. will be worth the cover price. It's the first VW Thing I've seen in any Primedia mag in years and years.

Fun stuff! :beer:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
kcowyo said:
Yooper -

You may want to pick up a copy of the February 2007 issue of Off Road Magazine, with a yellow Ford SportTrac on the cover. Inside is an article with several great pics of a '74 Thing that was rebuilt by a company in AZ who specializes in off road racing buggies.

The paint job might make you hurl, but seeing a 181 with a long travel set up, King Coilovers, a 2.2ltr GM motor, and billet A arms, etc. will be worth the cover price. It's the first VW Thing I've seen in any Primedia mag in years and years.

Fun stuff! :beer:

No way! Sweet, I'll have to pick up a copy of it. I just drove back home from Colorado this weekend and saw a sweet olive drab green Thing in Boulder. Got me all sentimental! haha I'm building a new pole barn next spring and if I do so am going to bring the thing up (its currently sitting in storage 5 hours away) and start dissasembly on it. I found a local guy that does body work and has done a full Thing resto in the past, so I'm planning on using him as a resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior