The VAN Plan

johnnyrover

Observer
After the 4th child and a new business, all the Rovers left the garage, but overland travel still haunts me. (sites like this don't help either)

The business went south, so I have some time to start fresh.

I finally had the wife convinced on purchasing a suburban, with plans swimming in my mind to build it up, but after looking at a ton of trucks, and running across a few threads in this forum, I switched gears and will begin a van buildup in 2008.

Unfortunaly, I am the bolt on King, can't fab a thing, not even a decent booger weld, luckily I have friends who have potential.

Stage 1
Purchase a Ford E-350 Passenger Van

I found a 1997 with a 7.3 Diesel in terrific shape, it has seating for the wife, 4 kids, plus friends and all of their stuff. I thought about starting with a cargo van, but I would need to outfit it with all the passenger gear to use it immediately.

Part 2
4x4 conversion

Not just the lift, but protection (bumpers, skids, sliders), recovery (winch, points, tools) and exterior lighting. The van needs to maintain good highway handling and be capable in moderate trails.

Part 3
Build the camper

Sportmobile looking interior, with seating for 6 kids in back (benches facing inward with table in between), pop top with loft bed, small bathroom (wife and girls will be happy), kitchenette, a few flat screens, satellite cable/internet, and a partridge in a pear tree...

Hopefully, the guy accepts my offer on the van and I can get the ball rolling.

John

formerly of www.simpleguardian.com, www.teampb.com, www.offroadguides.com and many others.....

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Sounds like a plan! An entire bolt on build would be nice, but not really a reality for us van guys. It really depends on your budget & where you live. If you need help with the 4x4 conversion, let me know. I can steer ya in the right direction & help ya out. Glad to see some more action in the van section!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94