The Van Of Mayhem

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
So, as work progresses slowly, it's time to "show off" what's done to my van so far.
The "Van Of Mayhem" is a '98 E250 RB 2WD 5.4 cargo van, originally used by the US Navy as surveillance van for Navy base security in Italy. It even had a periscope installed, the round hole in the roof is closed for now, but will be the place for a moon roof in the future.
I bought the van from a contractor who used it as his work van for a couple of years without any problems. The day he sold the van to me, his brand new Sprinter left him stranded with the diesel pump going south :Wow1:
Thanks to the previous owner, the van was already converted to run on LPG, which is the only way here to keep the cost of driving a V8 acceptable. LPG is about 1/3 the price of gas here. The conversion is a typical bi-fuel conversion, consisting of a 29 gallon LPG tank under the van where the spare tire used to hang and keeping the stock fuel tank.
First thing was changing the tires to 235/85R16 General AT² on the stock wheels. This is how she looked back then:

18913113an.jpg

With the 235's mounted

25669908fd.jpg

25669921ux.jpg

25669927zz.jpg

25669930jp.jpg

The plan was to convert the van to a camper / work van hybrid whith flightcase style cabinets and boxes which could be put in and out as needed.
More on this later..........

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Since I'm a bit handicapped by rheumatism work on the van goes in little slow steps.
I started with little things, i.e. aux. power outlets (USB & 12V) in the doghouse, multi pocket seat covers and the Brodit mount for the 10.1" Xoom2 tablet

25669983qj.jpg

25669987mp.jpg

25669989ep.jpg

25669994nk.jpg

25669999xs.jpg

25670004lj.jpg

While I was laying wires anyway I installed a automatic cutoff relay and a 110AH Banner AGM house battery (in a removable box) wired with 35mm² cable.
Being a cargo van, I only had windows in the rear doors, so out came the air grinder and a sliding side window out of D90 Land Rover went into the passenger side panel

25670048ra.jpg

25670044il.jpg

25670049my.jpg

25670042ut.jpg

25670051gm.jpg

25670053ms.jpg

25670055zz.jpg

When I pulled the rear carpet I found the usual rust spot around the passenger side rearmost body mount in the cargo bay, so welding and 2 layers of fresh rust prevention paint where on order

25670099zb.jpg

25670101xd.jpg

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
And then there was light.................
I changed the Hella E-code headlights for some TruckLite LED lights, a day and night difference. A set of Hella Micro Xenon HID spotlights support the high beams

21349237cw.jpg

21349252qg.jpg

As this wasn't enough, a 50" curved LED combo lightbar was added

25654960ti.jpg

The front turn signals got switchback LEDs to now act as white DRL and amber turn signals (no amber DRL or parking lights in Germany), while the rear parking/stop lights are also converted to LEDs with the turn signals using a similar white/amber switchback LED configuration in the backup lenses together with the backup lights (also no red turn signals in Germany). Underneath the rear bumper is an additional LED backup (white)/rear fog (red) combination.
A 14" Flowmaster series 40's muffler lets the engine breathe more easily

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
But we wanted to have a multi porpose van, right?

The rear floor got a 3/8" plywood in combination with aircargo rails to attach the planned flightcases and use for latching cargo.

25670229nd.jpg

Underneath the plywood is a 3mm waterresistant insulation.
The cargo sides and roof got a 19mm Armaflex insulation, so temperature and noise effects are drastically better now.

25670224qv.jpg

25670216od.jpg

I then installed self made (3mm MDF) side panels (which will most likely be replaced by birch plywood with grey fabric trim).
Cool drinks travel in the 50ltr National Luna fridge which resides behind the drivers seat on a quick out mount, powered by the house battery.
As soon as I get my in-family painter (aka my oldest daughter) to paint my newly acquired side cargo doors, I'll have pop out windows there also.
I nearly forgot, I installed power windows and remote control central locking also right in the beginning.

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
The new side entry step

25670463tq.jpg

Right now we threw a mattress in the back and packed some stuff and leave to the Abenteuer & Allrad (Offroad & Outdoor expo) tomorrow morning.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I Like the way it is now, the driver can look over his shoulder and see that blindspot.

philos

Explorer
Something about a Defender window in a van makes me smile. I couldn't imagine them being so common here as to be parts candidates...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Defenders are a dime and a dozen here, it's the #1 hipster mobile nowadays. In fact, the Defender window is the only fluid leaking part on the whole vehicle, who would've thought that :snorkel: ?

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
2WD, LSD and AT tires are nice, but they were not cutting it today at Abenteuer & Allrad expo after a rainy night

Was a very close call, not to slide into that motorhome (~2" left). With a gentle push of 5 strong guys I made it uphill eventually.

Theboyscout

I to am chasing those seat covers.

Funny, but google the world, and the only references are in Germany.

Frankly not sure where !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior