The Ursa Minor Modern Shell/RTT Concept Thread

Are you interested in a new take on a classic design?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think John at Ursa Minor has something up his sleeve. Something about designing a new shell with "FlipPac-esque" qualities and modern tent materials. He's dropped hints publicly.

Thanks Dave, but I'll have to pass on this re-tenting project, more fun to design a new truck camper shell to fit the tent and torsion bar system from the JK...:coffee:

In the hope that Ursa Minor will make one, I hereby volunteer my truck, and FlipPac, in the name of science ;)

Post here if you would like to see a modern rendition of the classic FlipPac concept from Ursa Minor. JK Habitat meets Snugtop SnugPro?

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Uhm, I'm still waiting for the 2DR version :coffee:

For clarification, this thread has NOTHING to do with Jeeps or the Habitat. It's in reference to a new shell design for trucks that features a new tent design building upon the tried and true classic FlipPac design.

I wish I could swap my existing Flippac for a barn door Flippac that didn't need a rain fly but I'm saving my $$$ for an XPcamper at this point I think. That's something I think I can retire in and hit the (off)road full time. Who needs an address?

Explorer
If the tent material is stout like eezi-awn I'm in. Integrated rain fly and plush mattress get my vote. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a flip-pac, but the shape and tent materials just prevent the purchase.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Throwing out a slight threadjack, an E-camper/J30 style top would be awesome on a flippac style shell. However, anything that doesn't require a rainfly for a truck would be great.

homemade

Adventurer
If the tent material is stout like eezi-awn I'm in. Integrated rain fly and plush mattress get my vote. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a flip-pac, but the shape and tent materials just prevent the purchase.

Smart move to wait if a better product is really being developed and available within some reasonable time period. I like my flippac a lot but there is definitely room for improvement in several aspects. When I get a new smaller truck (like Frontier or Tacoma) I would want something better than the Flippac and it doesn't seem that FRP has any interest in improving their current design.

I really want barn door or something similar on the back, better design to prevent the common failures like torsion bar and attachments, better tent.

Some improvements would be cheap and simple, like maybe a galvanized tube, stainless steel or thicker aluminum alloy tube for the hinge attachment in the lid and top to avoid the failure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier