The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

BuckinghamBuilt

Communications

I've had the pleasure of working with Midland USA for the last 12 months or so. We use several models of their radios for communications with our expedition team and adventures. I've run the MXT400 in my JKU for a year with great results. Any time we are out of the vehicles I grab a handheld to keep communication with those still inside.
For the Power Wagon I chose the Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio for it's compact form and easily hidden base. It's a great little radio and has performed good with the new Ghost 3db antenna. I messed with several different antenna mounts before settling on the passenger side hood mount. I disconnect the hand unit when not in use or need. I just prefer to keep the cabin clear of wires when able.
Here are some phots from the install.

cERpKaFl.jpg
I'm going to be moving to GMRS and I'm thinking the MX275 is a good option for the Power Wagon I purchased a week ago. I'm curious how you have the base station mounted in your picture. Is that underneath the drivers dash and are you just using the bracket that comes with the unit or did you have to rig up something?

Also, for the mic I plan on mounting it within reach using an idea I got from Arkansas Off Road YT channel using "Scosche Magic Mount Pro Dash" for those looking for a possible solution where you don't need to drill.

Jayp1981

I haven't update in a while, so here goes...

Added the WhiteKnuckle Offroad sliders.
.188 DOM Wall, powder coated
They are crazy beefy...and squeaky. Don't let anyone tell you they don't squeak...they do. I'm still working that out with adjustments.
HuRzh0Ml.jpg

KX8rP2Ul.jpg
Just out of curiosity did you look at the Randy Ellis Design's Sliders as well?

I've been having trouble with the decision on which one to go for, I like the higher clearance and lighter weight of the Rand Ellis Sliders, However the White Knuckles seem to be the more straight forward / proven solution.

Did you have to relocate or modify anything to get them to fit on the 2019 design?

I think it would be cool to build something off the factory skid plate / grate / cattle gate thing that ram has on the underside as a single super beefy unit. (Fab shop fantasies)

St8ton

I'm going to be moving to GMRS and I'm thinking the MX275 is a good option for the Power Wagon I purchased a week ago. I'm curious how you have the base station mounted in your picture. Is that underneath the drivers dash and are you just using the bracket that comes with the unit or did you have to rig up something?
I used the provided bracket from Midland and zip tied it up out of the way under the driver side lower panels. Just check all your wiring lengths based on where you want the unit to mount. My advise is to mount the speaker side facing outward and take advantage of being able to use both the base unit speaker and the handset speaker at the same time for extra audio.

St8ton

I've been having trouble with the decision on which one to go for, I like the higher clearance and lighter weight of the Rand Ellis Sliders, However the White Knuckles seem to be the more straight forward / proven solution.

Did you have to relocate or modify anything to get them to fit on the 2019 design?

I think it would be cool to build something off the factory skid plate / grate / cattle gate thing that ram has on the underside as a single super beefy unit. (Fab shop fantasies)

I really like the design of the Randy Ellis sliders. But I just couldn't commit to that style of mounting. They are a great option though. I modified nothing and removed nothing to mount the sliders from WhiteKnuckle. They were a fairly simple (yet heavy) bolt on solution. If you go that route find a friend to help you and it'll go much easier.

I may fab up something like you mentioned with the factory skids. The template is there using the provided factory units. They are functioning just fine for now though. We'll see this winter.

zblink

My MXT275 is hidden by front center seat (attached to center seat but between the seats there)and when not in use i can throw the mic in the bottom center console there

Im sure a decent velcro could hold it there

UglyViking

Hey man, I started following you on insta so cool to see more details of the rig here.

I'm curious about the fog light updates, you mentioned having them factory function. I don't know about yours but mine will turn on with low speed turns and with the blinker, do the new fogs do the same?

Explorerinil

Observer

fyi I had WK sliders on my 16 ram, they were a pain to install and constantly squeaked and vibrated. I finally got around to installing my WK sliders on my 19 power wagon. I noticed WK changed a couple things on either the new sliders or this change is for the newer trucks. They now don’t have a bolt running through the frame, all mounts clamp. This makes set up allot easier, the brackets are now labeled for their order and top vs bottom. You can see the top part of the brackets are thinner to allow for more clearance and they run a shorter bolt near the floor storage bins. Install for both sides took me 4 hours with several breaks and pulling the factory tube steps off and removing the floor bins and gas tank skid plate. When shopping around I looked at randy ellis, i feel they would collect salt and road debris and rust out the rocker panel. There also is no way they can be near as strong as the sliders that clamp to the frame.

St8ton

Hey man, I started following you on insta so cool to see more details of the rig here.

I'm curious about the fog light updates, you mentioned having them factory function. I don't know about yours but mine will turn on with low speed turns and with the blinker, do the new fogs do the same?
Thanks for following along!

I have one set of S2's wired to the factory harness. (Amber Lights) They work and function just as the stock lights did.
My other set (clear S2's) are powered and controlled by my SPOD.

UglyViking

Thats awesome! I was worried that it wouldn't maintain the light on turn functionality which I've really grown to love. Sounds like I'm all set, I guess add this to the ever growing list of mods.

hbl21

@St8ton , do you think you could mount an Onx6 bar in that same location as your S8? I know it's heavier.

Reason is, I currently have the 20" Onx6 in the behind bumper mount on my 2019 Longhorn. We pull a 5th wheel but will probably be moving to a Diesel Pusher pulling a PW and I love the way that bar plus my Squadron ProCombo Driving ditch lights absolutely flood the road with light.

I hate having to give up my Cummins and the amazing Longhorn center console and interior, but the PW will be an infinitely better toad than a Diesel Megacab...haha.

Learning a ton with this build thread. Keep it up.

it took a lot of welding but it worked out well

Attachments

• 94ABF0DB-8D8D-4981-8E77-AE7D6AA41428.jpeg
    94ABF0DB-8D8D-4981-8E77-AE7D6AA41428.jpeg
    779.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DD7EFEE4-2352-4A5D-AD5A-FF84147295B2.jpeg
    DD7EFEE4-2352-4A5D-AD5A-FF84147295B2.jpeg
    779.4 KB · Views: 174
  • B3107DCA-0824-466C-9317-6E0BC60FFAE4.jpeg
    B3107DCA-0824-466C-9317-6E0BC60FFAE4.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 170

Big Swede

Was your modification to the BD pockets pretty easy? Do you happen to have any pics of how you modified them?

Thanks!

The Evolution of Lighting continues....

What is better than a set of Baja Designs S2 fog lights? TWO sets.

I modified the pockets that BD sells to accommodate two lights per side. The amber set is wired in to the factory switch and retains all the factory functionality. The clear S2 set is wired in to my SPOD panel.
I like to the look and think it fill out the pocket a bit better.

Also added the BD a-pillar brackets and some Squadrons. Fabricated a bracket to move my Midland 3db GMRS antenna from the hood to the BD bracket as well.

GV0x5Ovl.jpg

sJosFvdl.jpg

JSUBJkal.jpg

St8ton

Was your modification to the BD pockets pretty easy? Do you happen to have any pics of how you modified them?

Thanks!
Yeah, it's easy. Just have all your lights with you; get a layout of where you want them and redrill the pocket. It is a tight fit, but it's workable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior