The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I would be interested to see something that is modular, removeable, financially feasible, and be able to fit into an XJ.... Not sure, but a "slim" cargo slide containement system that fits in a TJ could fit on one side of the XJ and allow access to a spare and other odd sized/awkward objects on the driver side. Either way I'm curious, you do good stuff.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It's been a very long time since I started the design work on this project - both I and the company I wanted to work with on these have been very busy over the past few months. I've done about a half-dozen new JK hardware designs for them so that's taken our focus away from this project. Now that most of those other designs are either on the market or close to it, we can turn our attention back to this. Tomorrow UPS will be delivering a set of slides the company is sending me, so construction of the prototype cargo system can begin. Thanks again for all the input you guys have posted.
Cool.
I'll be "up north" in mid October if you need a JKU test mule....

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would be interested to see something that is modular, removeable, financially feasible, and be able to fit into an XJ.... Not sure, but a "slim" cargo slide containement system that fits in a TJ could fit on one side of the XJ and allow access to a spare and other odd sized/awkward objects on the driver side. Either way I'm curious, you do good stuff.

Thanks.

I'm doing the initial design for the JK and the TJ, as well as offroad trailers with tailgates like the one below, because I've got both Jeeps and a trailer here. If I had an XJ here I'd make sure it was an easy install there too, maybe somewhere along the way someone nearby will have an XJ for me to measure and test with.

These are the main design crieria I'm working to:

- Simple no-drill installation in the JK and TJ. Simple drill installation in trailers. Quick and easy removal so Jeep can be used for other tasks/cargoes.

- Multiple widths possible. Base design width is to fit in the JK with subwoofer and the TJ tailgate opening.

- Modular upgrades and accessories, such as a shelf above the slide-out for additional cargo. Shelf would also be easy install/easy remove so it could be in the Jeep only when needed.

- Easy adaptation for multiple uses - fridge, enclosed drawer, etc.

- Assuming the a company picks this up for production, I'd like the entry price for basic slide unit to be under $300.

UPS delivered the slides today, they're 300-lb. full-extension units and they're very nice - ball bearing operation.

I'd like to design this to accommodate as many needs as I can, so thanks again everyone for posting ideas and requirements when I first started this thread, and thanks in advance for any further input/requirements people might post.

WithRetro4_zpsa65303c0.jpg

screwball48

Explorer
I have a 2000 4 door XJ that I would be happy to measure for you if you would like. Tell me what you need and I can measure and provide any picture that may be of help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have a 2000 4 door XJ that I would be happy to measure for you if you would like. Tell me what you need and I can measure and provide any picture that may be of help.

Thanks. I've been thinking about the XJ since I posted that and it occurred to me that there are usually 10 or more XJ's of various years in the local u-pull junkyard, which is about 3 miles from my house. Maybe the best way for me to do the XJ design work is to visit the junkyard when I need measurements. I was thinking I could probably even talk them into letting me bring the prototype into the yard to test fit into an XJ.

What I would need that I can't get at the junkyard is input from people with XJ's on whether the features and details of my design make sense in XJ's the same way they might make sense in a JK or TJ.

madZJ

Observer
Don't forget about us WJ owners. There is very little in the aftermarket compared to the other Jeep models and I am seeing more and more of these modified lately. Been following your work for years, top shelf designs and products for sure.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Don't forget about us WJ owners. There is very little in the aftermarket compared to the other Jeep models and I am seeing more and more of these modified lately. Been following your work for years, top shelf designs and products for sure.

Thanks for the input and the kind words. There are fewer WJ's at the u-pull, and sometimes none, so I might need some help with WJ dimensions if the u-pull is "out of stock" on WJ's :).

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The slides arrived yesterday. 300 lbs. capacity, full extension, ball bearing guides so they're very smooth. The manufacturer price is surprisingly low, so they won't break the bank in my goal to make the base slide very affordable.

Slides_zpsdswy0qw9.jpg

Explore

Observer
Good to see this thread back up and running!
Just about ready to pull the trigger on the truckvault/cargo slide combo, but...

tuned in!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A quick size test in the JKU...

SlideSizeTest1_zpsiwet5ilb.jpg

Fully extended:

SlideExtended_zps9w8bgoiz.jpg

I think this length will be perfect in the JKU.

XJ and ZJ owners - these slides are 32" long. Is that a good length for the XJ and ZJ? I'm designing the system so it can be easily made in multiple sizes, so if a different length is optimal for those Jeeps that's not a problem.

screwball48

Explorer
From the back of my seat to the rear plastic trim is 34.5". This is along the sides. In the middle is a latch for the rear hatch and the distance from the back of the seat to the trim in that are is 32.5". A cargo slide for an XJ would need about 1.5" under it to comfortably clear the trim around the latch in mine. In mine there is 43" between the wheel wells.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
From the back of my seat to the rear plastic trim is 34.5". This is along the sides. In the middle is a latch for the rear hatch and the distance from the back of the seat to the trim in that are is 32.5". A cargo slide for an XJ would need about 1.5" under it to comfortably clear the trim around the latch in mine. In mine there is 43" between the wheel wells.

Thanks! I'll work with those dimensions in mind.

ODchaser

D
A quick size test in the JKU...

SlideSizeTest1_zpsiwet5ilb.jpg

Fully extended:

SlideExtended_zps9w8bgoiz.jpg

I think this length will be perfect in the JKU.

XJ and ZJ owners - these slides are 32" long. Is that a good length for the XJ and ZJ? I'm designing the system so it can be easily made in multiple sizes, so if a different length is optimal for those Jeeps that's not a problem.

It appears in the pic the thick part of the JK tailgate might interfere with the slide (when the tailgate is closed)? Just an observation and not sure if you've taken that into account or how you may compensate for it. Curious to see how this comes out. No doubt a lot of time, thought and effort will be put in to it!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
D

It appears in the pic the thick part of the JK tailgate might interfere with the slide (when the tailgate is closed)? Just an observation and not sure if you've taken that into account or how you may compensate for it. Curious to see how this comes out. No doubt a lot of time, thought and effort will be put in to it!

I have taken it into account with the length of these slides, they just fit. The drivers side slide isn't pushed as far forward in the photo as it can go.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer

Is this from the bottom of the seat of from the top of the seat of the middle? because remember the XJ seats slant upward ever so slightly.. Jeff, I'll see if I can grab some pictures with a tape measure when I get off work..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz