The Tundra Supertool

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I am seeing just shy of 17 on the hwy. I am taking a long hwy drive this weekend, I will get exact numbers.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Last summer on our trip to Jellystone Park (Hey Boo Boo), we saw in the 16.5 range with the M416 in tow and 265 BFGs. In November, we saw almost 17 on a long highway trip with the first 75 miles in 4 hi, again with the BFGs. This last trip, with the bigger Coopers (285s), and my wife in one heck of a hurry, it was more in the 15.5 range. If I get a chance this summer I will monitor it again.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Here is a teaser shot of the Tundra on Dollhouse Rd. just after the Z turns in the Maze District of Canyonlands. The other shot was our destination, Dollhouse camp #2. There is a thread on this trip with a great video. My pics are on page three. I have a short video of me negotiating the Z turns on my youtube channel (sorry for the dirty camera lens). Also, I have a video of our Easter weekend posted on my channel. There is an explanation of our trip in the completed adventures section.

Attachments

• The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 021-1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 92
  • The Dollhouse 035-1.jpg
    The Dollhouse 035-1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 82

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Thanks man im in a debate with myself on trading my taco for a tundra but the mpg is the only catch.
In the end gas mileage will be a wash. They are just to close to matter. The Tundra does not have to work as hard when all of your gear and friends/family are loaded. Less work, means better efficiency. The Tacoma works much harder when loaded to the gunwales. Overloaded and working hard equals less efficient. I do still really like first gen. DC Tacomas, and if I was single or had fewer kids, I'd be driving one.

Last edited:

marathonracer

Adventurer
I couldn't speak to the 2nd gen Tacoma but I had a friend who had a 04 DC TRD Tacoma on 265 bfg at that got worse gas mileage than his 05 DC tundra on the same tires when loaded up with two canoes. From my own experience my 06 DC tundra gets about the same if not better than 03 Tacoma trd did. But the Tacoma was on 33 10.5s. You just get a little more sticker shock at the pump BC the tank is bigger. And like JC said when my truck is loaded that's when you really notice it.

I miss my locker and the narrowness if the Tacoma but comfort factor when all loaded up especially with baby seats...tundra ******

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Most people always say the 1st Gen's are too big, but if you compare them to the current DC Short Bed Tacoma, my 05 AC is less than 1" wider and taller, 10" longer, and has less than a 1" longer wheel base. Comparatively the dimensions stay the same when comparing a current DC long bed Tacoma to the 05 DC Tundra. The Tundra actually has a .1" shorter wheelbase :). Really shows how fast these are "growing" up.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
After our trip out to the Dollhouse in the Maze District of Canyonlands, there were some things I needed to do. I smashed my trailer lights on the last obstacle half a mile from camp. In preparation for Elephant hill over Easter weekend, I installed a new wiring harness, but this time put it through my bumper so I won't break it again. Also, while on the Maze trip, I used Gordon's Viair air compressor. I have been wanting and sort of needing one for a long time, and when my wife encouraged me to get one it was a no brainer. I ordered the 450P. Just a couple of shots to document that it happened.

Attachments

• new mod and kit 001.jpg
    new mod and kit 001.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 52
  • new mod and kit 002.jpg
    new mod and kit 002.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 55

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
So I had a clunk in my front end that I had been ignoring, because I did not want to admit that off-roading the Tundra had hurt it. I also did not want to face a repair bill. I finally took a close look and found two broken sway bar links. A trip to AutoZone and $29.00 later, I had new sway bar links. Here are a couple pics of the links, and my little helper.

Attachments

• spring 2014 178.jpg
    spring 2014 178.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 65
  • spring 2014 177.jpg
    spring 2014 177.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 64
  • spring 2014 181.jpg
    spring 2014 181.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 63
  • spring 2014 180.jpg
    spring 2014 180.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 61

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
We are headed out to Idaho for some family camping. The Tundra needed to have a little bed maintenance. The shell was leaking and needed to have new weather stripping. So a friend loaned me his front yard and helped me take off the shell flip it over and clean off and replace the weather stripping.

I decided that we also needed more fridge space than our little camp trailer provides. We own a Coleman 40 qt. Power Chill cooler which I have really liked even though it has not received the ExPo Seal of Approval. What we have found with the Coleman is that I can't use it in the back of my truck without a 12V outlet, so I picked up a double outlet from O'Reilly and had it wired in. It also only cools to 40 degrees below the ambient temperatures. Well if that is 90 degrees, it only cools to 50 degrees and that is not cool enough. The last big trip we took it on we added a container of ice, and that worked really well. However, I don't want to give up space for ice, so (with the help of my mother) we made an insulated transit bag. I also added some insulation to the underside of the lid. I hope that I will be able to report that this made a huge difference in the efficiency of the cooler. It was quite easy to make, I purchased a roll of Refelctix at the local hardware store, and we sewed it on an old Bernina.

Attachments

• camping prep 014.jpg
    camping prep 014.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 68
  • camping prep 007.jpg
    camping prep 007.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 74
  • camping prep 004.jpg
    camping prep 004.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 68
  • camping prep 003.jpg
    camping prep 003.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 66
  • camping prep 001.jpg
    camping prep 001.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 66
  • camping prep 019.jpg
    camping prep 019.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 66
  • camping prep 015.jpg
    camping prep 015.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 68
  • camping prep 016.jpg
    camping prep 016.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 64
  • camping prep 017.jpg
    camping prep 017.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 71
  • camping prep 018.jpg
    camping prep 018.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

ebg18t

Adventurer
The transit bag does help. I run one in my Engel MT-45. What I noticed helped more though was blocking the sun that hits the fridge/cooler. In my 4Runner I added the same Reflectix to my rear windows, used little self-adhesive Velcro squares. I keep the rear-side windows installed during the whole trip, I install the rear-back window when we are stopped for period of time (all day) and running off the battery. It blocks all the direct sun to the fridge which helped keep it cooler.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
The transit bag does help. I run one in my Engel MT-45. What I noticed helped more though was blocking the sun that hits the fridge/cooler. In my 4Runner I added the same Reflectix to my rear windows, used little self-adhesive Velcro squares. I keep the rear-side windows installed during the whole trip, I install the rear-back window when we are stopped for period of time (all day) and running off the battery. It blocks all the direct sun to the fridge which helped keep it cooler.

Thanks for the info, I have enough Reflectix to cover the window of my shell.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
It's been over a year since I added anything to this thread. Nothing had changed with the Tundra until the end of May first of June 2015. We spent 31 days on the road this summer traveling to and from Alaska. I will get a thread up about that trip I hope. To have enough room for everyone to sleep I built a sleeping platform in the back of the truck. The cool thing about it is that it is not screwed into place. The pieces fit together like a puzzle and come out in about 5 minutes tops. I designed it to use Sterilite underbed storage containers as drawers, and they worked great. We did not use them with the lids how it is in the picture. I left the lids off so that we could put taller things in them. You can see in the pictures that the front half of the platform had doors in it to be able to use the front for storage. We used a 2" memory foam pad and our therm-o-rest pads for sleeping. We spent all 31 nights in the truck and slept great. I also did a major remodel on my M416 and I have a thread for it here.

Attachments

• May 2015 003.jpg
    May 2015 003.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 65
  • May 2015 004.jpg
    May 2015 004.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 69
  • May 2015 007.jpg
    May 2015 007.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 70
  • May 2015 008.jpg
    May 2015 008.jpg