The Tundra Supertool

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Another Update

Again it has been a while. I bought a shell back the end of May. You can tell in the picture that it is silver not gray, but it is pretty close. I installed the tailgate seal from Cabela's, and rubber DeeZee mat. The tail gate seal gets my highest approval. It has been on for all of my summer trips, including but not limited to the White Rim Trail, I have driven a lot of dirt and even silty wash bottoms, and no measurable amount of dust has come in the bed. Could not ask for anything better.

I have slept under the topper several nights, and so have my wife and children, and it has been great. We like it a lot, but with 5 of us we of course still pitch a tent, and then our M416 has to come along to help haul gear so that we can easily change the truck over to a bedroom. The problem we run into is getting things out of the trailer. I use a tarp and cargo net to cover the trailer and it is not easy getting to the coolers etc. My wife likes to put the food in truck for easy access, but then it takes more time to get things set up for bed and I get tired of all the packing and repacking so the next project, and soon, will be a tailgate redo on the trailer and then a lid, so stay tuned for a trailer thread.

Attachments

• July 2013 003.jpg
    July 2013 003.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 97
  • July 2013 001.jpg
    July 2013 001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
  • July 2013 002.jpg
    July 2013 002.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My BFGs did not meet their mileage and will be warranted about $45 a tire. My local big o tire is having a Cooper Tire sale of buy three get one free. I have read jim65wagons thread on the st max, and will be going this way. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so they ordered in a very common size for me to see in person, and after I get to look at them they will order mine in the 285 variety. I think that I will order 5 so that my spare is the right size. With the sale and my tire warranty, I should still only have to pay for three.

I also found set of unused steel FJ Cruiser steel wheels that I will be mounting them on, so it should be quite the up grade in appearance, and off-road traction.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
They're on

The tires look great. In the end I only got $35.00 a tire back, and (which I expected) was required to purchase road hazard warranty on 4 of them. With the purchase of the spare, and going from 265 to 285s, I only paid about $280.00 more for the 5 than I did for the 4 BFGs I took off. Initial impression is they aren't any louder than my BFGs. I rolled down the window and the tone is a lower pitch but not louder. Inside the cab they can't be heard. They are smooth, and I do not notice the larger size when accelerating or braking. Even with the FJ steelies, they barely cleared the upper A arm. A finger could not slide between the arm and the tire, so I went ahead and used the Poison Spider Customs 1.25 " wheel stud adapters. This moved the fronts out just enough that my chains will fit. I also had to remove the front mud flaps.

I have wanted the truck to look more rugged, and this tire rim combo certainly did that. I was afraid that in the end it would up look like it belonged to some punk kid. However, the tires still sit under the truck and are not too big in the wheel well. Also the spare is not really visible out back where I was afraid it would hang down quite low.

Attachments

• tundra rims 008.jpg
    tundra rims 008.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 122
  • tundra rims 004.jpg
    tundra rims 004.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 150
  • tundra rims 005.jpg
    tundra rims 005.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 115
  • tundra rims 006.jpg
    tundra rims 006.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 107
  • tundra rims 007.jpg
    tundra rims 007.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
The tires look great. In the end I only got $35.00 a tire back, and (which I expected) was required to purchase road hazard warranty on 4 of them.
Another reason I won't bother with traditional tire stores any longer. I would have bristled at "required to purchase". At my last visit to a tire store, while waiting for the mounting/balancing, and alignment I spent the time reading. When the truck was finished I thought, that was kinda quick. I thought I just got lost in the book. After looking at the time/date on the receipt and recalling what time I brought the truck in... 40 minutes! No. I've done this enough times to know better. They couldn't have done the alignment.
Tire Rack purchase, Walmart mounting, and though I hate to admit it, Four Wheel Parts for the alignment.

I was afraid that in the end it would up look like it belonged to some punk kid.
No way. That's what I love about the steel wheels, total old school look. I thought my AT Duratracs might look kinda Billy Bob with the traction blocks on the sidewalls but the FJs took care of that.

I can't really tell from the photos but have you considered spacers on the rear to match? With spacers just on the front, my mental image is a Chevy pickup look. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :ylsmoke:

stclair

Adventurer
Looks great! Planning to pick up the ST Maxx tires in the next week or so for my Tundra. I just sold my Tundra steelies last week because a 16x7 just wouldn't work for me. Looks like I'll be getting the Wheeler's steelies. I prefer this look though. Good job!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I can't really tell from the photos but have you considered spacers on the rear to match? With spacers just on the front, my mental image is a Chevy pickup look. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :ylsmoke:
I was worried about that too. When you lift IFS the tires in front pull in. With the spacer, they might be out .75" more than the rear.

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I listed my factory rims for sale here on KSL.com in their classified section, and they sold. I broke even on the rims I found and purchased through the same site. Can't beat that. I got a pretty good deal on tires, and the rims free.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Here's a video and a few more pictures.

Attachments

• Tundra 002.jpg
    Tundra 002.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Tundra 003.jpg
    Tundra 003.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Tundra 004.jpg
    Tundra 004.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 94

marathonracer

Adventurer
Love the look! Have you had any issues with the CVs spitting grease? I'm going to be going with the 5100s on the third notch on my 06 dc

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Just got back from Easter Safari here is a short video I made. The video is better when you can hear Ozzy's Crazy Train, but it was muted by YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94