The truth about most RV's.

Chorky

Observer
so much truth and sadness here. i have this discussion wth my neighbor nearly daily, well, when i'm home anyway. but the same goes for a log of us industrial stuff as a whole, not just trailers. and just normal daily service as well. maybe thats stepping out a bit far, but quality, craftsmanship, and general care for ones work has diminished significantly over the years... i have a feeling 'home builds' are going to keep becoming more and more popular because of this.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
DAMN I didn't know the British still made cars.

I thought they were still trying to figure how to make a cold refrigerator work!

;):D

They do. Check out the new Plus 6 using their new CX chassis (110 in roman numerals - as in "the 110 years of Morgan". It has the same engine and drivetrain as the Supra and Z4. It's glorious.

shade

They do. Check out the new Plus 6 using their new CX chassis (110 in roman numerals - as in "the 110 years of Morgan". It has the same engine and drivetrain as the Supra and Z4. It's glorious.

I find it funny to read about torsional rigidity from a company wedded to wooden body substructures. - [not wood frames]

"Most notable is the all-new CX-Generation aluminium bonded platform that underpins the Plus Six. Designed and developed for use in Morgan’s high-performance models, the CX-Generation platform features a 100% increase in torsional rigidity over the previous aluminium platform utilised by Morgan."

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
The frame as in "chassis" is not wood. Never was. There is a wee bit of wood at the back in this new one - but not load bearing at all. It is a space frame chassis made from welded, glued, and riveted alu (the old Aero/P2lus 8 was a space frame made differently and glued together).

cxgenbackgroundmalverntestcrop2-1024x554.jpg

20190312_135355.jpg

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
This is a classic morgan chassis:

chassis.jpg

And this is the Aero/plus8 chassis that preceded the CX platform (Plus 6):

800px-2012_Morgan_Plus_8_running_chassis_%2815632635891%29.jpg

So, the new one is twice as stiff as the one in the picture above with the engine and wheels.

Anyway, it's just a car, but it's funny how people continue to think that Morgans have wood frames - or ever had wood frames.

Ok, back to shoddy quality RVs.

Last edited:
RV ownership? No thanks. I don't think I have ever taken a trip that I didn't see at least 2 RVs broke down on the side of the road with the owner looking around like what do I do now.? A friend of mine traded in his pickup/5th wheel combination on a pusher motor home. The first year of ownership? Nothing but problems. And it has only gotten marginally better. Another friend spent a small fortune in upgrades and repairs on his pusher motor home only to trade it in on a new pickup/5th wheel comb. Quality problems on both sets of RVs.

While a person may have an RV for the get away it from all experience, where do they typically stay? An RV park with several other RVs parked nearby.

As others have pointed out, rent an RV for the time needed, return it and go on with your life. The cost of buying an RV will more than pay for motel rooms.

As I said above, the real negatives of RVs is cost and the general lack of build quality. I will never own one. Rent, maybe.

shade

This is a classic morgan chassis:

chassis.jpg

And this is the Aero/plus8 chassis that preceded the CX platform (Plus 6):

800px-2012_Morgan_Plus_8_running_chassis_%2815632635891%29.jpg

So, the new one is twice as stiff as the one in the picture above with the engine and wheels.

Anyway, it's just a car, but it's funny how people continue to think that Morgans have wood frames - or ever had wood frames.

Ok, back to shoddy quality RVs.
Thanks for the correction. Wooden body substructures it is. :)

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Thanks for the correction. Wooden body substructures it is. :)
Yep - especially in the old days.
These days, "Morganeers" who think the new ones are better than the old ones, cannot understand why Morgan uses any wood at all in their modern cars. Neither can I to be honest. It doesn't add anything, and the wood itself is cut by a CNC machine for the newer ones. Make the whole thing of alu instead.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I just picked up a used travel trailer (to use as a basecamp) and can confirm the poor build quality... and this one wasn't even a cheap one when it was built ($28k when new in 2007, adjust to $35k today). Screws falling out all over the place, 4 separate water leaks that I had to fix (kitchen sink, shower, exterior drain, and toilet), cracks in the exterior, etc. Somebody buying a new trailer for $15-20k today doesn't stand a chance.

Agree with the comments that it seems strange that the solution to poor quality is to better train the repair techs, kind of like saying the solution to house fires is more fire engines. :)

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Yep - especially in the old days.
These days, "Morganeers" who think the new ones are better than the old ones, cannot understand why Morgan uses any wood at all in their modern cars. Neither can I to be honest. It doesn't add anything, and the wood itself is cut by a CNC machine for the newer ones. Make the whole thing of alu instead.
Maybe the wood helps in the NVH department.

hbabler

You know I have a lot of the same concerns that you guys do. Crappy build quality not durable etc.

Here’s my dilemma, I have three daughters that are getting older every day. We just rented a trailer and took an amazing 2000 mile trip through NM and TX we used the trailer as the base and went out and did day trips etc. it was awesome, the girls loved it and it was something we want to repeat soon. The other aspect is that we live in TX tent camping is out of the question 7+ months of the year.

I would like to build something but that’s realistically a 2 year project, that’s 2 years of missing out on time with them as they grow.

I’m seriously contemplating buying an RV and using the crap out of it as a semi disposable asset over the next ten years until they are in college. I’m looking at outdoors RV as they seem to build one of the better ones on the market. I have a decent amount of time off so I see us using it at least once a month and maybe more. I wish that there were more good choices on the market.

shade

You know I have a lot of the same concerns that you guys do. Crappy build quality not durable etc.

Here’s my dilemma, I have three daughters that are getting older every day. We just rented a trailer and took an amazing 2000 mile trip through NM and TX we used the trailer as the base and went out and did day trips etc. it was awesome, the girls loved it and it was something we want to repeat soon. The other aspect is that we live in TX tent camping is out of the question 7+ months of the year.

I would like to build something but that’s realistically a 2 year project, that’s 2 years of missing out on time with them as they grow.

I’m seriously contemplating buying an RV and using the crap out of it as a semi disposable asset over the next ten years until they are in college. I’m looking at outdoors RV as they seem to build one of the better ones on the market. I have a decent amount of time off so I see us using it at least once a month and maybe more. I wish that there were more good choices on the market.
Seems like a good plan. Start shopping used and you'll save plenty to put towards fuel costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles