The truth about most RV's.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
RV buyers today go to Camping World to buy a RV (camper, trailer, motorhome). They take out a 20 year loan to purchase a RV that might last 5 years in normal 5-10 times of use a year because they can afford the monthly payment. They use their RV 10 times during the first year of ownership, 5 times during the second year of ownership, hardly at all during during the 3rd year of ownership and spend the next 5 years trying to save the EXTRA $1000's of dollars they need to pay down their UPSIDE 20 year RV loan so they can then SELL their RV.

After all that most RV buyers STILL get to enjoy the pleasure of WRITING A BIG CHECK TO SELL THAT RV on top of everything else that went WRONG costing them lots of money, pain, time and agony all the while trying to live the Camping Lifestyle Nightmare!

You would think that RV buyer's would have learned their lesson by now but NO NO NO they have not! These same RV buyers are the same stupid people who have already done this same stupid schidt before when they bought that Boat and ATV that they just had to have!

Therefore their next logical stupid purchase after the boat and ATV has to be a RV they cannot afford!
Thats why you rent them for $114 a night when you want one. Then drop it off and it’s someone else’s storage problem. ?

Only RV like things to own are the small ones that fit in a standard garage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It also comes down to what the market demands. The lowest cost shiny and new. Most people are unwilling to pay for a higher quality product. That is why when a company like Walmart makes an order for a product the first thing the y specify is cost, not quality, environmental impact or country of origin.

Well no matter what, building to a higher quality standard will cost a lot higher sticker price.

The fundamental problem after years of 99% of customers' choosing based on lowest price,

is the market considers crap quality "normal".

And there is no comprehensive objective standards for higher quality, Consumer Reports type ratings.

(y)

Yep, this right here. Overall quality control in the RV industry is hit-or-miss, but a big part of that is that "FEATURES" are something you can point to and say "look at this!" but QUALITY is something you really can't.

If Manufacturer A makes a high quality travel trailer and sells it for $25,000, then manufacturer B will just come along, cut corners and sell a cheaper version for $15,000 and eat Manufacturer A's lunch.

Sad to say, but RV's are becoming more and more popular and the RV makers will not up their quality game until and unless we, the customers, demand it.

However, these problems are so endemic that even paying a high price is no guarantee of "quality." Go on the web sites dedicated to Airstreams or Prevost motor homes and you'll see that even customers who pay upwards of $100k for a travel trailer or $400k for a motor home still complain about poor craftsmanship.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Our Forest River R-Pod has been an excellent trailer for the past two years. No major issues whatsoever.

However, you can see evidence of sloppiness, cut corners and a general lack of quality craftsmanship all over the trailer.

We knew what we were getting into, so we weren't disappointed. As is almost always the case in life, the key to happiness is to have realistic expectations.

We weren't expecting automotive-level craftsmanship in our trailer so we weren't disappointed.

It might make a difference that our R-Pod is a Hood River edition, built in their smaller Oregon factory rather than in the bigger Indiana factory. Or it may be that we just got lucky and ours had no major problems.

We also bought ours gently used from a couple who bought it new and used it 3 times before they decided they needed something bigger. That saved us about $4000 right off the top, and as a bonus, the previous owners had "upgraded" some of the things in the trailer (added a 2nd battery and propane tank, and a sewer hose carrier.)

Reactions: WVI

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Most consumers are not looking very far ahead. How many only consider the monthly payment, not the whole cost outlay? Part of the reason for the crap, is that there is no warranty requirements, and consumers are on their own in many cases. The comparison to homes is more apt than many give it credit for. I have worked on (and lived in) a number of homes that were shoddily built, but sold for good money. In almost all cases they were build in areas with minimal or no building inspections, and owners had minimal legal recourse other than suing taking civil action.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As for Camping World, they have an interesting business model. From what I've read, they make an enormous amount of their money off of "the back end", i.e. financing and extended warranties.

The Intertoobz are full of CW horror stories. It almost seems as if every CW franchise owner's business philosophy is "screw the customer as hard as you can because you'll only get one chance."

old_CWO

The supply side of the market exists because the demand side exists. There's money to be made putting out a low quality product because people will buy it.

This simple economic law is definitely a root cause. The market is full of high priced junk because consumers are obviously willing to buy said junk. Easy lending terms on RVs sure don't help as it acts as an inflationary force (the standard situation of too many dollars chasing too few goods) driving up prices.

Now if you're the guy making a living selling the trailer, none of this is likely to seem problematic so it's all a matter of perspective I guess.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
RV sales are in a bit of a boom right now. That's good news for the RV industry and bad news for RV owners, because it incentivizes RV makers to slap 'em together quick and cheap and get them out the door.

Right now being an RV maker is like having a license to print money. It's similar to the situation that Harley Davidson found itself in during the "motorcycle boom" of the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. They can't make them fast enough and they are flying off the lots, with "easy credit" making them affordable to anyone with a job.

Even worse, the cynical RV manufacturing world knows that a significant percentage (my seat-of-the-pants guess would say close to 50%) of RVs are sold to people who dream of RV ownership but don't like the reality so they rarely (or never) use them.
IOW, RV makers know that a good percentage of the trailers they sell will either NEVER be used during the typically short warranty period, or if they are used they'll be used once or twice.

Since the manufacturer is not on the hook to repair them once the trailers are OOW, there is little incentive to make them better.

Case in point: in our camping group, there is an older lady - in her late 60's I think - who likes the IDEA of RV camping a lot more than she likes actually camping. Three years ago she bought a gorgeous (and HUGE) dual axle travel trailer.
Yes, 3 years ago she bought it. She took it camping with us for the first time - about a month ago. Now it's up for sale because it's too difficult for her to back up and to drive with. She literally has never hooked the trailer up to her vehicle, what she does is when she needs it hooked up she asks a neighbor near her home to do it for her. She stayed hooked up when camping and when she got home she asked her neighbor to unhook it for her (it has a weight distributing hitch because it's big - probably 5000# or more.)

So, when will this end? IMO it ends when enough RV buyers get pissed off and swear off RVs entirely, OR when the next economic downturn hits and people no longer have easy credit and disposable income for toys. At the point when the RV business actually gets COMPETITIVE, we will start seeing better warranties, better service departments, and companies competing with each other on the basis of quality rather than just "features."

But until that happens, expect quality to drop even further as the RV makers ramp up production to meet the demand.

shade

Right now being an RV maker is like having a license to print money. It's similar to the situation that Harley Davidson found itself in during the "motorcycle boom" of the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. They can't make them fast enough and they are flying off the lots, with "easy credit" making them affordable to anyone with a job.

Even worse, the cynical RV manufacturing world knows that a significant percentage (my seat-of-the-pants guess would say close to 50%) of RVs are sold to people who dream of RV ownership but don't like the reality so they rarely (or never) use them.

Maybe it was unintentional, but I suspect you've hit on a key group. The HD crowd that has tired of playing dress-up like rejects from Cap'n Jack Sparrow's crew to ride 20 miles two weekends a year has moved on to RVs - with similar real world usage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Maybe it was unintentional, but I suspect you've hit on a key group. The HD crowd that has tired of playing dress-up like rejects from Cap'n Jack Sparrow's crew to ride 20 miles two weekends a year has moved on to RVs - with similar real world usage.

There's certainly some crossover between the two, but largely I think it's a different demographic.

From what I've read the recent "RV Boom" not being driven by aging baby boomers (as the HD bubble was) but rather by Gen X'ers and older millennials (people from the age of 30 - 45) who are getting into RV camping for the first time as a way to enjoy the outdoors but still have some of the comforts of home. Or at least, that's the sakes pitch. I think sometimes the reality of dealing with RV's quirks is more than many new owners can handle and so they find excuses to NOT use that RV they are still making payments on.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
More RVs are now owned by those ages 35-to-54 than any other group, according to the University of Michigan study. More than 11% of U.S. households headed by 35-54-year-olds own an RV, exceeding the 9.3% ownership rates of those 55 and over. The 35-to-54 age group posted the largest gains in the 2011 Michigan survey.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
which technically spans two generations, Gen X'ers and Millenials.... which means it probably just has more to do with people being at an age and in an economic position to have enough money to spend on toys and a willingness to want to get out and glamp.

Yes, exactly.

WRT baby boomers (full disclosure, I fall into the tail end of the baby boom, born in 1961) and RVs, one thing that many people who have not owned a travel trailer don't realize is that you have to have a certain amount of physical strength to manage a trailer, and as people get older, that becomes more and more difficult.

The act of hooking up, unhooking, winterizing and dewinterizing require at least a moderate amount of physical exertion. Hooking up a trailer in particular requires some strength if you are using a weight distributing hitch (my WDH shank ALONE weighs 50lbs. And that says nothing of the bars which are solid steel and probably 15 - 18lbs each.) Not only does it take some strength it also takes some flexibility - you have to be able to crouch or kneel, turn a crank or operate a drill to raise and lower the jacks, reaching into low spaces to access heater, water pump, etc. As you get older, that stuff gets harder and harder (ask me how I know that!)

Not saying you need to be an athlete, but you can't be an invalid either. IMO when people get to the point where they can no longer manage a trailer, they move to a Class B (van) or Class C (van-based motorhome) because those are easier to operate physically.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You can see evidence of sloppiness, cut corners and a general lack of quality craftsmanship all over the trailer.

We weren't expecting automotive-level craftsmanship in our trailer so we weren't disappointed.

Now you know why automotive manufacturers quit using WOOD in construction of their vehicles over 75 years ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior