The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks for the original post and for bringing this back to the top! I'm new here and the TWaT is on my short list. I live near the IL/WI boarder -- about 2 hours to the Iowa/IL boarder. Pretty sure I'll run this in the Land Rover the first time, then come back on the Dual Sport for a second trip.
Where abouts are you at?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TantoTrailers

Crystal lake is just up the Fox from me! I will be doing the whole TWAT in the fall probably Friday night to Monday night.

TantoTrailers

Looking to do the northern half from Black River Falls to Apostle Islands Columbus Day weekend starting Friday night. Booked a site out there for Friday night the rest will be on the fly. Hoping to spend a good amount of time at Apostle Islands on Sunday if all works out as planned. That stretch looks a lot more fun than the southern part I ran earlier.

FastFox

I am thinking about hitting this trail this spring. I will be leaving from Crystal Lake also. Is there any parts that i can add to make it a bit more difficult?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TantoTrailers

Has anyone done this route with snow on the ground? I wouldn't mind going up sometime soon before the spring rolls in. How are the roads farther north?

macexpress

Observer
That's not really winter in northern Wisconsin. I would have to say that's probably late fall. We have between 12"-18"of snow right now and up close to the lake probably more. I ran the trail 2 years ago and there would be quite a bit of the very northern part that wouldn't get plowed all winter

TantoTrailers

That's not really winter in northern Wisconsin. I would have to say that's probably late fall. We have between 12"-18"of snow right now and up close to the lake probably more. I ran the trail 2 years ago and there would be quite a bit of the very northern part that wouldn't get plowed all winter
Thats great info, are these roads fairly driven up there where the snow would be packed down or would I be venturing into fresh tracks?

macexpress

Observer
I would assume you would be breaking fresh tracks. The last 10 or 20 miles was down to just 2 tracks thru there woods, one vehicle wide. It's a really pretty drive in the summer but I doubt it gets driven in the winter. I'm sure if you wanted to run the route you could bypass wherever there's no tracks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles